Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I wish it were the case, but this job is also available for Perm residents. Maybe I just need to get over myself
I know an ex detective in Vancouver who after nearly a year here has taken a security job in a shopping mall. I think they'll be heading back to the UK next year if it doesn't improve.

Shame
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:31 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I know an ex detective in Vancouver who after nearly a year here has taken a security job in a shopping mall. I think they'll be heading back to the UK next year if it doesn't improve.

Shame
doesnt make sense to me, it truly doesnt.
It seems that luck sometimes has a large part to play in how well you do at work over here.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianLove
however they all say they want someone with Canadian experience.
If he was a consultant in the UK why not be a consultant in Canada? Then his "experience" becomes more obscure. Really, are there that many differences, plus he has the qualifications.

Lot of people have this problem, my view is that it is a way of operating a closed shop and not allowing immigrants to get jobs, that is clearly the case with the healthcare industry. Canadian standards are put forth as being the gold standard, when in reality if you come from Europe, European standards are usually superior.

I used to work in construction, some of the H&S stuff I see going on on building sites here is unbelievable, I've walked down streets with pits in them marked off with a tiny bit of tape. If you did that in the UK you would be in serious trouble. Or sidewalks covered in construction debris, etc. How many people have been killed now from being hit by debris downtown, I've lost count?

Short of that, look a bit wider, e.g. Alberta.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Heath and Safety is a tricky one. Its all who you know. All the consultants and large company coordinators around here know each other rather too intimately. Most have either worked their way up within a company, or worked for the MOL.

If hes hell bent on an H&S positon then all I can say is hes doing the right thing volunteering, and he needs to network like there is no tomorrow.

Consultancy without the inbuilt network to turn to would not be easy is my guess, but as a strategy to demonstrate canadian experience with a view to getting hired later on it might be a way to go.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

CRSP Designation may be a good help if he qualifies to do it
Old May 1st 2012, 3:02 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

I used to work in construction, some of the H&S stuff I see going on on building sites here is unbelievable, I've walked down streets with pits in them marked off with a tiny bit of tape. If you did that in the UK you would be in serious trouble. Or sidewalks covered in construction debris, etc. How many people have been killed now from being hit by debris downtown, I've lost count?

Short of that, look a bit wider, e.g. Alberta.
I work in construction and would agree with the above..the H&S gurus in my company admit they are 15 years or more behind the UK when it comes to health & safety..i see things on a daily basis that would get sites shut down in the UK!
Old May 1st 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianLove
Hello - my husband gets up every morning to scour the job websites for health and safety jobs. He has British NEBOSH qualifications, 15 years Royal Navy experience and experience in England as a H&S consultant. Since he landed almost a year ago he has completed a WSIB course, completed a law course through Ryerson University in Toronto and volunteerd in the health and safety department for a large hospital. He did $kkk in free assessments which the management team endorsed and implemented his recommendations. He's been to job fairs and networking events.

If I thought he was applying for jobs beyond him I would say. If I thought it was his approach I would say - not shy of telling it like it is!!! ha ha

When he does get interviews he gets great feedback; however they all say they want someone with Canadian experience.

He has applied for entry level straight through to management positions. He has been great at keeping his spirits up, but it does get him down. Our friends do their best to find him work or take him on for projects here and there in the construction industry, but he loved his health and safety job in England and wants to say in his field.

Any advice or names of companies that would be good to approach would be really helpful.

Good luck to fellow job hunters!!!
The company I work for in the Okanagan in British Columbia are looking for a Health and Safety Co-ordinator. If your husband is interested then send me a PM and I will pass along my email so he can fwd his resume and I will pass it along to our HR Manager.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
The company I work for in the Okanagan in British Columbia are looking for a Health and Safety Co-ordinator. If your husband is interested then send me a PM and I will pass along my email so he can fwd his resume and I will pass it along to our HR Manager.
Crikey that would be a long commute
Old May 1st 2012, 5:46 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jossie
Jackpot, job and warmer weather!
Old May 1st 2012, 5:49 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Jackpot, job and warmer weather!
And potentially disasterous flooding leading to evacuation
Old May 1st 2012, 5:50 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

And potentially disasterous flooding leading to evacuation
Could be worse, could move to van and have you as a neighbour!
Old May 1st 2012, 5:59 pm
Beep

Could be worse, could move to van and have you as a neighbour!
If you saw where i live and what my view is like, i think they'd be very happy.

Have you not seen the reports of the terrible flooding in the Okanagan?
Old May 1st 2012, 6:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Have you not seen the reports of the terrible flooding in the Okanagan?
It was disastrous here last week - in excess of 10mm of rain fell in one day. That's a new record for April 26. Grass has turned green and it's freaking people out
Old May 1st 2012, 6:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
It was disastrous here last week - in excess of 10mm of rain fell in one day. That's a new record for April 26. Grass has turned green and it's freaking people out
That is very funny. I did LOL.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

That is very funny. I did LOL.
It actually made headline news here. I had work contractors visiting from Vancouver for the week and apologized for the shitty weather. They looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.