Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Hello - my husband gets up every morning to scour the job websites for health and safety jobs. He has British NEBOSH qualifications, 15 years Royal Navy experience and experience in England as a H&S consultant. Since he landed almost a year ago he has completed a WSIB course, completed a law course through Ryerson University in Toronto and volunteerd in the health and safety department for a large hospital. He did $kkk in free assessments which the management team endorsed and implemented his recommendations. He's been to job fairs and networking events.

If I thought he was applying for jobs beyond him I would say. If I thought it was his approach I would say - not shy of telling it like it is!!! ha ha

When he does get interviews he gets great feedback; however they all say they want someone with Canadian experience.

He has applied for entry level straight through to management positions. He has been great at keeping his spirits up, but it does get him down. Our friends do their best to find him work or take him on for projects here and there in the construction industry, but he loved his health and safety job in England and wants to say in his field.

Any advice or names of companies that would be good to approach would be really helpful.

Good luck to fellow job hunters!!!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:58 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: Struggling to find health & safety job 11 months in

Originally Posted by CanadianLove
Hello - my husband gets up every morning to scour the job websites for health and safety jobs. He has British NEBOSH qualifications, 15 years Royal Navy experience and experience in England as a H&S consultant. Since he landed almost a year ago he has completed a WSIB course, completed a law course through Ryerson University in Toronto and volunteerd in the health and safety department for a large hospital. He did $kkk in free assessments which the management team endorsed and implemented his recommendations. He's been to job fairs and networking events.

If I thought he was applying for jobs beyond him I would say. If I thought it was his approach I would say - not shy of telling it like it is!!! ha ha

When he does get interviews he gets great feedback; however they all say they want someone with Canadian experience.

He has applied for entry level straight through to management positions. He has been great at keeping his spirits up, but it does get him down. Our friends do their best to find him work or take him on for projects here and there in the construction industry, but he loved his health and safety job in England and wants to say in his field.

Any advice or names of companies that would be good to approach would be really helpful.

Good luck in your search, they say it is who you know, not what you know. I hope someone on here can either recommend you or employ you.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:58 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell him to keep plugging away. He is in the right country for his trade
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Tried Workers Compensation Boards?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If he could get the IOSH qualification (International gen. cert. in Occupational Health & Safety) then he could apply for Canada's CRSP - which may help him in getting a job.

More info here: http://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualificati...p?cref=59&ct=2 and here: http://www.bcrsp.ca/memorandum.html

He could also look on the Government Job site: http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx

He could look into voluntary work: http://www.iapa.ca/main/volunteer/vo...rtunities.aspx They also have networking events (calendar available) which might help him: http://www.iapa.ca/main/volunteer/vol_networking.aspx

http://www.simplyhired.ca/a/jobs/lis...alist+(ontario)

I understand the frustration having applied for over 170 jobs in the past 5 months and getting nowhere!

Has he been to the local new PR's centre and got them to go over his resume with him?

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 28th 2012 at 11:11 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi - Yes we have paid to have his resume updated. I work in marketing so had a contact who was able to do this for him. The local Welcome Centre was not that helpful - they offered him english classes!! I do think they should do more to advertise the Welcome Centres - they are a great help to some newcomers.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

When we first came here my OH advertised himself on Craigslist, saying he would work for a few weeks for nothing, or a couple of months at a low wage, just so he could show people what he was capable of. He got quite a lot of interest from it and 2 job offers. CTV news also interviewed him about the problems new immigrants sometimes have getting work as they too saw the ad.
Might be worth a try. Good luck!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:04 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Words of encouragement from me. I sent out 250 resumees. Had one interview. Got the job. Keep trying and you'll get there. It's hard going staying positive but it'll all be good in the end.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Good effort...and good luck to you all....

Best regards, AS

PS...he could always join-up again.....this time in the RCN....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

we have a similiar problem. Hubby was a police officer and then a civilian interrogator in the UK for about 5 years in some difficult areas. He has excellent references. He too has scoured for jobs, networked, applied endlessly. The last straw has been for job with the regional police that he could do really well but they have chosen not to interview him even. They have called in our boarder. Admittedly he has 31 years in the RCMP in Newfoundland BUT hes now 67 so how long he has in the job market who knows.
Makes me so mad at the unfairness of it all.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howefamily
we have a similiar problem. Hubby was a police officer and then a civilian interrogator in the UK for about 5 years in some difficult areas. He has excellent references. He too has scoured for jobs, networked, applied endlessly. The last straw has been for job with the regional police that he could do really well but they have chosen not to interview him even. They have called in our boarder. Admittedly he has 31 years in the RCMP in Newfoundland BUT hes now 67 so how long he has in the job market who knows.
Makes me so mad at the unfairness of it all.
Hi, i am not saying that this is the case, but sometimes jobs in the public sector can only be filled by citizens, Canadian citizens, could this also be the case. It will all work out in the end.fletch
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Hi, i am not saying that this is the case, but sometimes jobs in the public sector can only be filled by citizens, Canadian citizens, could this also be the case. It will all work out in the end.fletch
I wish it were the case, but this job is also available for Perm residents. Maybe I just need to get over myself
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:35 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it were the case, but this job is also available for Perm residents. Maybe I just need to get over myself

Maybe that's exactly what you should do !
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame he isn't a citizen as there are several intelligence posts available. How long until he can apply for Citizenship?

http://www.intelligencematters.ca/en...igence-officer

Has he considered going into the CBA? https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc....365&psrsMode=1

Special Constable? (May be a way of getting "Canadian Experience") http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/Public_Safety/constables.asp

Provincial Civil Constable? http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/Public_Saf...lConstable.pdf

What about starting his own PI business? There are start-up grants and loans available http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/pro...-5616/tof-180/

Hope he gets something soon

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 29th 2012 at 9:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.