British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   On Strike (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/strike-772705/)

Hawk13 Sep 25th 2012 2:34 pm

On Strike

First the poor hockey players, then the NFL referees. ICBC, Fortis and SFU support staff.

Did I miss anybody? Who's next?

R I C H Sep 25th 2012 3:06 pm

Re: On Strike

CUPE members (SFU support staff) will spread their strikes across all higher ed institutions. UVIC have already taken strike action and where I work a recent vote agreed to action here too.

MikeUK Sep 25th 2012 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10299134)
First the poor hockey players, then the NFL referees. ICBC, Fortis and SFU support staff.

Ontario goverment workers, Chrysler.....

ExKiwilass Sep 25th 2012 9:21 pm

The teachers, obviously ;)

Then the nurses.

JonboyE Sep 25th 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10299134)

I hate to get all pedantic but the poor hockey players and NFL refs are locked out, not on strike.

If I was a Cheese Head I wold be seriously p*ss*d off today.

Novocastrian Sep 25th 2012 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10299744)
I hate to get all pedantic but the poor hockey players and NFL refs are locked out, not on strike.

Agreed on both points. Being locked out is not the same thing as being on strike. Rather the opposite.

Hawk13 Sep 25th 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10299744)

Correct of course.

A lockout is a temporary work stoppage or denial of employment during a labor dispute initiated by the management of a company. This is different from a strike, in which employees refuse to work.

But potato, potatoe. They are all people moaning and groaning that they aren't compensated enough. They should be lucky they have a job in this economy.

Novocastrian Sep 26th 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10299776)
Correct of course.

A lockout is a temporary work stoppage or denial of employment during a labor dispute initiated by the management of a company. This is different from a strike, in which employees refuse to work.

But potato, potatoe. They are all people moaning and groaning that they aren't compensated enough. They should be lucky they have a job in this economy.

Oh dear. Here we go. I hate to use NHL players as examples of anything except ignorance and thuggery, but I'll swallow that and point out that their compensation packages (ludicrous though they are) have been threatened by rollbacks by the NHL owners at a time when said owners are making record profits just for being rich.

The example gets overstretched in response to your last silly sentence.