Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Straw Poll - Please be frank!

Straw Poll - Please be frank!

Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Straw Poll - Please be frank!

Originally Posted by MrsBee
Dear All,

Not been to forum in a while having shelved Canadian plans due to sheer impossibility of getting work (medical) after much investigation...

...HOWEVER, due to our frank unhappiness in the UK (poss exacerbated by the recent troubles; we live & work in Liverpool though where to be honest this behaviour is not uncommon) we are re-visiting our Canadian "Dream".

To do this requires me re-training from emergency medicine to general practice, and will take a minimum of 4 years...Husband already finished training, so easier for him to be placed with a fellowship or similar (we hope!!)

Our main reason for wanting to move is a "better life" for our boys (1 & 3 yrs) in terms of lifestyle/sports/education/outdoors/community/society but I would
like to be sure I am not deluding myself...

Just browsing the forum at the mo, there is some unhappiness with those who are in Canada (even bona fide Canadians!), so may I take a straw poll:

Are things better in Canada than in the UK?? (I know this covers a multitude!)

Any correspondence v much appreciated

Warmest Regards,

Natalie
In relation to your specific question above re: your boys, 100% yes. Things vary across the country but I genuinely think Canada is set up very well for families with young children. Come out for a recce and see for yourself.

I'll go further and say you owe it your children to see for yourself so that you can make an informed decision. The recent troubles in the UK are just the tip of the iceberg. The premier here is a twat and our mayor in Toronto is just the same, but things would have to collapse significantly to reach the level of the UK in terms of a society that supports young people. This is just my opinion though.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
, but things would have to collapse significantly to reach the level of the UK in terms of a society that supports young people. This is just my opinion though.
Ohh I'm not so sure...

A quick stroll around a native reserve or parts of Scarborough here should be enough to remind you of disenfranchised youth..

The big difference is that Canada is much better at pretending it doesn’t exist..
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

yes but winters are cold takes some getting used to
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:56 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I think better or different could be the answer here, it all depends on individual circumstances.

If you land a secure job and you have secure finances in place then you can move forward and enjoy the better things that canada has to offer. However if you struggle to get the basics in place that enable to you to enjoy the better things, then it could be lost.

An example would be jobs, Canada can be a hard market to crack depending on what skills you can bring and whether these are recognized easily or not. The key is getting a foot in the door somewhere related to your field and accept that you may have to take steps back to move forward in the longer term.

Just my view
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I think better or different could be the answer here, it all depends on individual circumstances.

If you land a secure job and you have secure finances in place then you can move forward and enjoy the better things that Canada has to offer. However if you struggle to get the basics in place that enable to you to enjoy the better things, then it could be lost.

An example would be jobs, Canada can be a hard market to crack depending on what skills you can bring and whether these are recognized easily or not. The key is getting a foot in the door somewhere related to your field and accept that you may have to take steps back to move forward in the longer term.

Just my view
Unfortunately it appears MrsBee has left the building.

See post #9 this thread.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:47 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.290 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Shame, prob still reading hopefully
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Given the title of her post, I thought she would have been made of sterner stuff than running off in a huff at the first awkward question.

Maybe "Please be frank!!" means something else wherever she's from.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:00 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan is short on doctors, it was the main talk on the news radio this morning.

There looking at ways to speed up access for doctors to the TWP stage of the process. However, the shortage is in the smaller communities rather than the larger cities.

Mind you, in Saskatchewan size is relative, it's 3 times the size of the UK and only has 1.1 million people. The biggest city has <250,000.

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry...ge-110812.html

Last edited by JGK; Aug 13th 2011 at 10:06 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:42 pm
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JGK
Saskatchewan is short on doctors, it was the main talk on the news radio this morning.
Try getting a GP in Edmonton. The reason they're in short supply is because no one's hiring.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lemi
Try getting a GP in Edmonton. The reason they're in short supply is because no one's hiring.
That's not necessarily true the problem is most new graduates don't want to be GP's.

The big money is in specializing.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsBee
Dear All,

Are things better in Canada than in the UK?? (I know this covers a multitude!)

No.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
No.
Oh yes they are.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Oh yes they are.
Is Waitrose better in Canada?
Are Renault cars better?
Is travelling to Europe better?
Are the cathedrals, minsters, etc better?
Is Whitby better?
Is London better?

A nice life in the UK Vs a nice life in Canada will just be different. A shit life in the UK Vs a nice life in Canada....well......and visa versa

Some things are worse, some better, mainly.......it's just different.

*And yes i know my examples are crap