Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Strathmore, AB ???

Wikiposts

Strathmore, AB ???

Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice
Default Strathmore, AB ???

Anyone on here know much about Strathmore, outside Calgary??. Is it another Cochrane / Okotoks / Chestermere? or is it a step too far?

Gav.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Strathmore, AB ???

stayed there for a night on the way to some where else, not a lot there as I recall and the water tastes funny too.............sorry not much help
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glam
Anyone on here know much about Strathmore, outside Calgary??. Is it another Cochrane / Okotoks / Chestermere? or is it a step too far?

Gav.
I came very close to living there so I may be a tad biased.

It is a fair distance from Calgary so, if you intend to work in Calgary, much will depend upon where you work and how you feel about travelling. It is east of Calgary so not ideal for access to the mountains. It has a very different feel to Okotoks and Chestermere, but it is relatively small but should have all the amenities you would want.

You will need to visit to see if it is for you.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:51 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a strange small place. I bought my piano there

I'd think it a bit far out for commuting, and yes, definitely the "Wrong side of Calgary" for visiting the mountains. It's I suppose something of a prairie town, and quite some way beyond Chestermere.....
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

It has a good old Red Neck bar with Trucks parked up and men in Stetsons. that's all I remember from my night there, drank lots of beer and chatted with lots of red necks LoL.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:25 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
It has a good old Red Neck bar with Trucks parked up and men in Stetsons. that's all I remember from my night there, drank lots of beer and chatted with lots of red necks LoL.
Well that sounds like a story that's only half-finished.... cowboy.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Pretty forgettable place with nothing much there (sorry Strathmore!). Nothing vaguely comparable to Cochrane or Okotoks. I stopped for gas there once and also went to the rodeo. It was dusty. That's all I remember.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Pretty forgettable place with nothing much there (sorry Strathmore!). Nothing vaguely comparable to Cochrane or Okotoks. I stopped for gas there once and also went to the rodeo. It was dusty. That's all I remember.
The friends we have are also leaving Strathmore and moving back toward calgary for the same reason.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

Well I have been there a couple of times, very small town, nothing like Okotoks or Cochrane. They have a somewhat new feel to it, whereas Strathmore is old looking and feeling, a slower pace of life. I would not want to commute from Calgary to there and I live in Airdrie! Having said that, if I had a splendid job closer I would look at living there or Chestermere! So I guess it all depends on where you work!!

Bob