Reload this Page >

Strange questions being asked in an interview

Strange questions being asked in an interview

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange questions being asked in an interview

Originally Posted by cxx
It's tempting to take the job to get 'Canadian experience' but you need to think about what happens if you can't get along with him - how will it look to future employers if you only stayed a few weeks, what kind of reference will he give you, etc.
Canadian experience is not the same as relevant Canadian experience.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Safeway will probably be the best place to have a heart attack - they will all be staffed by UK doctors and nurses
Haha, definately! Sad, but true.

Originally Posted by cxx
If your gut feeling is that he was a creep it might be better to stay clear. It's tempting to take the job to get 'Canadian experience' but you need to think about what happens if you can't get along with him - how will it look to future employers if you only stayed a few weeks, what kind of reference will he give you, etc.
Yep, I've turned the job down. I just couldn't work for someone I get that gut feeling about. There'd be no point, I'd be miserable!

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I thought you had to send off educational transcripts to cnrbc to evaluate relevant experience. If you haven't what they consider theory or practical experience in paeds, MH, LD's, adult, then I thought they then let you know what additional credits or SEC training you need. As far as I'm aware this is requested prior to leaving UK.
Yeah, this was all done last September, did SEC assessment in May and let myself down in general adult nursing (drugs, condiitons etc). I'm a paediatric trained nurse, therefore I have zero experience in adults and mental health so I have to do an upgrade course which takes a year. Paediatric nurses have no general experience in the UK, and are not taught medications and illnesses which occur in later life.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love being a nurse. It's very hard work, but it's true what they say, it's a very rewarding career. I came to Canada to be a nurse, not to work in a store. The main problem in all of this, is getting registered. The nursing registration council only have 2 courses in 2 universities in BC where this course is available unfortunately... one in Kwantlen, in Surrey BC, which is around a 40 minute drive. The other is in Kamloops, and I can't really do the 4 hour drive every day.

The bank have said they cannot give a loan of $10,000 to a newcomer with no credit rating, which is why I was trying to get work and save up for it in the mean time. If I could get the money together for the studies, it would be happy days, and I'd definately do it and it'd all be worth it! I'm hoping this is not the end of my nursing career, it would be such a shame to give up something I love and have experience at and is obviously well needed in Canada
If your atleast a permanent resident have you looked into government student loans in order to pay for the schooling you need.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Uh oh, I'm adult trained so I hope I won't be expected to undertake a years course as I won't be able to financially pay for a course as well as live if the course is f/t
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If your atleast a permanent resident have you looked into government student loans in order to pay for the schooling you need.
I'm going to look into student loans when I get me official acceptance letter in August. Fingers crossed! Hoping you don't have to be a PR for a certain length of time until they'll give you loans etc?

Uh oh, I'm adult trained so I hope I won't be expected to undertake a years course as I won't be able to financially pay for a course as well as live if the course is f/t
To be honest, I think you'll be fine. They'll probably make you do a SEC assessment, but in my opinion, the SEC is mostly based on adult & general nursing. I literally got about 3 questions on paeds and that was my lot. Most questions were all about conditions that don't occur in paeds, and the the majority of the meds were things that we NEVER use in children. I studied, but there's only so much you can do. I didn't even come across half of the stuff in general nursing books. I know a couple of adult nurses who applied, did the SEC assessment, and just had to do a workshop in paeds for a couple of months. Not sure of the cost, but I think if you're just lacking paeds that's all you need. But for me, there is no short workshop in general nursing - hence the year long upgrade course
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Thanks for that useful info Rebecca, are you able to give me any pointers as to as and when to send off my transcripts? Did you complete all your skilled worker PR forms, language, medical tests, and your transcripts seperately to CRNBC? I'm dubious about completing all the PR forms and being accepted, then finding out I need to study further for months over in canada with no wage coming in.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that useful info Rebecca, are you able to give me any pointers as to as and when to send off my transcripts? Did you complete all your skilled worker PR forms, language, medical tests, and your transcripts seperately to CRNBC? I'm dubious about completing all the PR forms and being accepted, then finding out I need to study further for months over in canada with no wage coming in.
Hmm, it's a tough one...
I obviously did my PR first, got accepted, and once I knew when I was moving I then started the process with CRNBC. You can definately start the process with the CRNBC first if that's what you want to do, but just make sure that you are aware they will probably make you do a SEC assessment, so if you're not living in Canada at the time, it's a lot of expense to get a flight here, hotel and a flight home for a couple of days of assessments. Then you'll get your letter from CRNBC telling you what else you'll need to do to be registered (most adult nurses I know who have done this had to do 3 workshops - one in paeds, one in maternal and one in something else that I just can't remember!). So if you're not living in Canada at this point, you'll have to come here and study for those aswell...
It's really tough. Either way, it costs you A LOT of money trying to register over here!