Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Story so far.....

Story so far.....

Old May 1st 2009, 6:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Story so far.....

I know I approached my first trip back with dread - I'd been here 3 years but didn't feel ready to go back in case I realised I had made a huge mistake. I was so relieved at the end of the trip and I was comming home to Red Deer. There are lots of threads on homesickness and feeling unsettled. Lots of good advice within those threads.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP are you here as a PR or are you here on a visitors permit?

You're post in November seems to indicate the second scenario?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573624
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

I went back to the UK for a visit after we had been here for 8 months and couldn't get back home to Canada quick enough. I was initially here as a visitor for 15 months, accompanying my OH on his work permit. It was tough not being able to work, and luckily my OH's job just about paid the bills.

While I was a visitor, I applied for loads of jobs, but noone wanted the hassle of obtaining a work permit for an occupation that wasn't particularly in demand - office work. Once we got PR it was a completely different story and I started work four days after we landed.

Throughout all the trials and tribulations, both financial and frustrations of not working I have never once missed the UK. We discussed emmigrating, researched for 2 1/2 years before we moved over, and took the good with the bad.

You need to look at what you want out of life. Life is too short not to be happy. Your kids will have the opportunity to make their own decisions when they are older, and I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere for them to get a good education in the UK!
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:00 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jinn
I was'nt even looking for work here but got a call from a agency who was happy to put me forward for a role paying £40K plus
So an agency, not knowing you were looking for work, or even in the country, called you out of the blue and wanted to put you forward for a job, without having seen your CV?
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
So an agency, not knowing you were looking for work, or even in the country, called you out of the blue and wanted to put you forward for a job, without having seen your CV?
As far as I can figure out, jinn has some 'splaing to do.

It seems s/he's here on a visitors visa and is surprised that s/he can't get a job.
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

jay london is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not here on a visitors visa I have PR.

I'm not 100% convinced that Canada is where I want to be now.
Having 2nd thoughts having now visited England again...
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jay london
I'm not here on a visitors visa I have PR.

I'm not 100% convinced that Canada is where I want to be now.
Having 2nd thoughts having now visited England again...
Who are you?

Are you the original poster using another name?
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by Little D
I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere for them to get a good education in the UK!
Exactly, having a job there in UK. Without parent having a good job in Canada, what kind of education will kids get?

I was in similar doubts, started to apply for jobs in Europe, this didn't work and I got a good job here, so we are staying. If not that job, I'd better go back and live on welfare or work in a supermarket until finding something good.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:34 pm
Austin TX

astor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Who are you?

Are you the original poster using another name?
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:42 pm
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point

hey,

We moved to Toronto in Dec 08, and to be honest I hate it..
Thought it would be great everyones always got positive things to say about Canada etc etc

But NO! its the opposite, for 1 I can't get a job I know the market is bad at the moment but I have actually been told by agencies that my experience is worhtless!! they always give Canadians priority over anyone else! I can't believe this.

I in the UK at the moment due to go back in a week but I seriously don't want ! I miss the UK

I was'nt even looking for work here but got a call from a agency who was happy to put me forward for a role paying £40K plus

Someone please tell me WHY I should go back? I don't see any reasons why?

Its all been negative since I've been in Toronto.
-No Job
-Its expensive - I thought the UK was bad.

Someone tell me what the hell to do.......
have a look for a place in canada that you can get employment, it may have t be somewhere you dont like for a while, but the main thing is a roof over your heads, a steady income and education for your kids.

nothing you do is ever permanant, just look at it as a stepping stone.

just an idea
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:34 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

What a bizarre thread..

Anyway for what it is worth my view is that if you look for either Canada or the UK to be perfect you may well be disappointed. I have moved between the two a few times in the last thirteen years, mainly due to work, and there are good and bad about both. Actually I don't think either are bad places to live (which is a broad generalisation) and I have been quite happy in both. Sure when in one I miss some things about the other, but that's the way it is. When I visit the other it's a great chance to enjoy all those things. For me, it's just a simple case of thinking which place will make you happier at that point in time with all the factors taken into account - and without doubt work is a major one. I am very appreciative of the fact that I am so easily able to have been able to make this choice and the OP should be so too. I've been back in the UK for five years after living in Vancouver for five and have been fine here and enjoyed all the good things that the UK has to offer (and it does have some! ). We are on our way to Toronto in a month which I am sure will also be great. In fact I am typing this sitting in Toronto looking over the CN tower on a beautiful sunny Sunday, so life is good.
Don't stress the choice too much, enjoy the freedom it gives you
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:10 am
Just Joined

jinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nice
Default RE: UPDATE!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share the some good news!!

I have finally got a JOB!!

Not too far from home and good salary!!

At last something positive to write about

:-)
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:23 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey,

We moved to Toronto in Dec 08, and to be honest I hate it..
Thought it would be great everyones always got positive things to say about Canada etc etc

But NO! its the opposite, for 1 I can't get a job I know the market is bad at the moment but I have actually been told by agencies that my experience is worhtless!! they always give Canadians priority over anyone else! I can't believe this.

I in the UK at the moment due to go back in a week but I seriously don't want ! I miss the UK

Someone please tell me WHY I should go back? I don't see any reasons why?

Its all been negative since I've been in Toronto.
-No Job
-Its expensive - I thought the UK was bad.

Someone tell me what the hell to do.......
I dare say you are being heavily influenced by the fact that you are unable to get in the work force.I hardly doubt that Canadians are being picked over you, other than the fact that they have relevant experience.

It astonishes me that Brits are arrogant enough to think that they should be able to walk in just about anywhere and have their skills deemed some how superior. I have plenty of Canadian friends right now who are in the same boat as you, so please don't make this.... because I'm British.....

Here's the bottom line, we are in a recession - Canada is dumping jobs by the thousands every month. If you have secured employment in the UK and you are happy there - then go for it. On the plus side the real estate market seems to be having a bit of an upturn at the moment and it may be a good time to sell. I hardly think that the UK is really much cheaper than Canada - overall that is.

Good luck

---- Did n't see you last posting - does that mean it's back to the Big Smoke or staying in Blighty?

Last edited by dboy; Jun 6th 2009 at 12:26 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:33 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Little D
I went back to the UK for a visit after we had been here for 8 months and couldn't get back home to Canada quick enough. I was initially here as a visitor for 15 months, accompanying my OH on his work permit. It was tough not being able to work, and luckily my OH's job just about paid the bills.

While I was a visitor, I applied for loads of jobs, but noone wanted the hassle of obtaining a work permit for an occupation that wasn't particularly in demand - office work. Once we got PR it was a completely different story and I started work four days after we landed.

Throughout all the trials and tribulations, both financial and frustrations of not working I have never once missed the UK. We discussed emmigrating, researched for 2 1/2 years before we moved over, and took the good with the bad.

You need to look at what you want out of life. Life is too short not to be happy. Your kids will have the opportunity to make their own decisions when they are older, and I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere for them to get a good education in the UK!
Can totally relate. I never worked for the first year, had no money, few friends, too much free time and oh yes, Canada Immigration tired to deport me (long story). Of course, all this put a considerable amount of stress on a couple of newly weds. Came very, very close to heading back to the UK, but really didn't want to.

It all worked out in the end mind and don't regret it one bit. I've said this before on here, if you are not settled in work, relationships, are missing the folks, kids are missing their friends/grandparents and are miserable and your savings are evaporating - its not going to be a barrel of laughs no matter where you are - you really have to give yourself a fair crack. Just my two cents worth - or is two pence worth? Who knows anymore.