Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Story so far.....

Story so far.....

Old May 1st 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

jinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nice
Default Story so far.....

hey,

We moved to Toronto in Dec 08, and to be honest I hate it..
Thought it would be great everyones always got positive things to say about Canada etc etc

But NO! its the opposite, for 1 I can't get a job I know the market is bad at the moment but I have actually been told by agencies that my experience is worhtless!! they always give Canadians priority over anyone else! I can't believe this.

I in the UK at the moment due to go back in a week but I seriously don't want ! I miss the UK

I was'nt even looking for work here but got a call from a agency who was happy to put me forward for a role paying £40K plus

Someone please tell me WHY I should go back? I don't see any reasons why?

Its all been negative since I've been in Toronto.
-No Job
-Its expensive - I thought the UK was bad.

Someone tell me what the hell to do.......
Old May 1st 2009, 5:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Story so far.....

Originally Posted by jinn
Someone tell me what the hell to do.......
You can't figure it out from your own post?
Old May 1st 2009, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

jinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nicejinn is just really nice

NO
thats why I'm asking...

I too confused.. to think staright at the moment
Old May 1st 2009, 5:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You 'hate' Toronto, miss the UK, seriously don't want to go back to Canada, where you have no work and apparently little chance of work in, and you have a potential opportunity for work in the UK.

No brainer if you ask me.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You 'hate' Toronto, miss the UK, seriously don't want to go back to Canada, where you have no work and apparently little chance of work in, and you have a potential opportunity for work in the UK.

No brainer if you ask me.
I agree completely.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Its much easier said than done!!
I have a property in Canada, can't just leave that. I'll need to sell it but with the way things are right now I won't get a good price.

so Mr Brains what do you now recommend?

Just leave my house empty? that obviously has a mortgage?
Old May 1st 2009, 5:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a clear cut case of staying in the UK.

Although, why did you move to Canada in the first place? And have you thought of other places in Canada other than the big TO?
Old May 1st 2009, 5:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Rent it out until the markets recover to a comfortable level for yourself?
Old May 1st 2009, 5:37 pm
Pea Brain

I have a property in Canada, can't just leave that. I'll need to sell it but with the way things are right now I won't get a good price.

If you gave a clearer and more complete picture of your circumstances initially then it's likely you'd get a more rounded response.

Add 'sell up and suck up the sale price' to my previous advice, or as el richo suggests, rent it out.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Moved to Canada thinking it would give us a better life.
I have 2 young kids and was'nt happy with the level of education here.
That was one of my main reasons of moving.

We moved to Toronto assuming it would be easier to get work, I was told that it is very difficult to get work in Vancover.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:46 pm
Beep

We moved to Toronto assuming it would be easier to get work, I was told that it is very difficult to get work in Vancover.
Well i really am sorry to hear your situation isn't to your liking but it sounds like your options are very limited.

1, Sell up and move back to UK (potentially at a loss)
2, Rent out your place and move back to UK, selling up when is right for you.
3, Stick it out, grin & bear it. After all, your children's education are at stake.
4, Investigate all other major areas in Canada for opportunities.

I'd suggest picking the one that suits your wants and needs and methodically work end to end with it until you and your family are happy.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You ask for suggestions and then try to belittle someone who offers one?

Perhaps if you'd mentioned you own property the suggestion would have been worded differently.

Why did you come to Canada in the first place?

Why Toronto?

No other Canadian cities worthy of a try?

What is that you do?

Unfortunately you chose the absolute worst time to arrive in Canada, no other way to say it.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:48 pm
Pea Brain

Based on what sort of research, knowledge or experience?

I have 2 young kids and was'nt happy with the level of education here. That was one of my main reasons of moving.
What's more important? Your kids education (is it actually better in Canada?), or your own happiness? If you've no work here, I can't see that being sustainable long term for the family anyway.

Assuming anything about emigrating probably isn't a great idea - securing work depends on so many factors, some of which are out of your control (economic, employer attitudes about your experience etc). The one certainty is that you need to take charge of the situation and make things happen for yourself, whatever the decision is.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:49 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

That would have been before the world ended! You have been here almost 6 months, it is usual to go through the homesickness thing for upto 2 years - even more for the unlucky ones. You dn't say if you have a partner who is in work or wether your struggling alone. I would say, if you really hate Toronto, have no work but have been offered a pretty well paid job in the UK, then rent your house. OR you could always try a different Province before you give up on your dream of the Canadian lifestyle. Best of luck to whatever you decide.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions
For one I'm not having a go at anyone in any way at all.
Sorry it the message came across like that.

Obviously my kids education is most important and in all fairness I have been happy with what they have learnt in a short period of time.

I don't know maybe being back here just made things worse, I should've just stayed in Toronto and visted sometime later.

Anyone else felt the same when they initially moved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.