Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stockbroker question

Stockbroker question

Old May 28th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stockbroker question

Hello All,

I currently have a dealing account with TD Waterhouse in the UK. We are moving to Canada on June 8th. TD Waterhouse say I have to close my account with them as they are not allowed to hold accounts in the UK for Canadian (and US) residents.

They also say they will transfer the account for free to another broker. I asked Barclays Stockbrokers and they said the same thing!

Does anybody know of a UK broker I can use who doesn't mind me being a Canadian resident?

Thanks,
Imy
Old May 28th 2010, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stockbroker question

If anybody else faces this situation I have found a broker. Selftrade say that as long as I have a uk correspondence address, they are fine for me to open an account with them.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abaddon
If anybody else faces this situation I have found a broker. Selftrade say that as long as I have a uk correspondence address, they are fine for me to open an account with them.
Can you not find a Canadian brokerage that offers international trading and will allow transfer of your stocks to their house?

Old May 28th 2010, 6:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping to move out to BC imminently. We have a modest share porfolio with "The Share Centre". When we have permanent residency in Canada, does this mean we will have to relinquish our shares? Or am I missing the point entirely?
Old May 28th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

hargreaves lansdowne should be ok with the situation.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I use Interactive Brokers highly recommended cheep est fees and you wont find better Forex rates you can trade stocks and shares from any country.
http://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/main.php
Old May 31st 2010, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Can you not find a Canadian brokerage that offers international trading and will allow transfer of your stocks to their house?

The free transfer that TD Waterhouse are offering is the main reason I want to find a UK broker who do not have a problem with Canadian residency. It's a bad time to sell up and cash-out. Plus the exchange rate means I do not want to transfer the cash at the moment. I would rather transfer for free and leave it all as shares for a while.

I checked one Canadian broker that would let me hold sterling and allow me to trade on the LSE - charges/commission are considerably higher.

Imy
Old May 31st 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
I use Interactive Brokers highly recommended cheep est fees and you wont find better Forex rates you can trade stocks and shares from any country.
http://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/main.php
I'll look into this. The commission seems really cheap. Would they allow me to hold sterling?

Imy
Old May 31st 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by abaddon
I'll look into this. The commission seems really cheap. Would they allow me to hold sterling?

Imy
yes they do and you can not beet there fx rates much better than HIFX i use them for all mine