Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stock up before leaving UK

Stock up before leaving UK

Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stock up before leaving UK

Maxfactor products
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I hesitate to ask.....but what is wrong with Canadian bras?
Are they inferior to UK bras, and if so, how? People should be made aware of these things before they go traipsing across the globe, it's a long way to go to end up walking around commando.
Actually the Bra situation has improved La Senza now carry a better range of sizes.
When I got married in Montreal in 2000 I couldn't find my size anywhere in Canada. I felt like a freak I tells ya I spent my whole wedding day try to make sure "the girls" didn't make an uncalled for appearance.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:26 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
And Tesco's lovely Canadian back bacon. Obviously all of it for export, none on shelves round here

Since you can't bring bacon, I'd stock up on:

bras
brabantia bin liners
bedding
books

...seems Canada is short on all things beginning with "b"
Why is everyone having problems with bras? I have had no trouble, not had any trouble with any underwear for that matter thanks to La Senza

I would have spent more time with my family and friends and seen more of the UK and Europe.

Don't really miss any food apart from Marmite and that is the fee for staying with me
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Costco

There are quite a few microbreweries around the Lower Mainland. There must be more than Kokanee around where you are.

Nelson has one, for sure, though Kootenay Pass might be a bit daunting after a skinfull.
We actually get our cheese from the US, we're only 10 mins drive away and there is a general stores at Porthill that sells Tillamook. That's as good as we can get.
A good choice of beer in the local liquour store but it's still not the same. The landlord at my old local in Dorset was a member of CAMRA and would stock all manner of real ales from all over the UK. He would change the 'guest beers' every 7-10 days for new brews. Dog's Bollocks was always a popular choice and the beermats the reps left were almost collector's items.
I get a better selection of beer here than I had in Ireland!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Oh I don't know about that...we have you.
Barf!!!!!

Sickbags - you may need to stock up on them too.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Why is everyone having problems with bras? I have had no trouble, not had any trouble with any underwear for that matter thanks to La Senza

I would have spent more time with my family and friends and seen more of the UK and Europe.

Don't really miss any food apart from Marmite and that is the fee for staying with me
So how do you bring all these things ie bisto and choc, i thought you weren't allowed to bring in dairy and beef products,
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Barf!!!!!

Sickbags - you may need to stock up on them too.

Oi...it never hurts to suck up to the moderators.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
So how do you bring all these things ie bisto and choc, i thought you weren't allowed to bring in dairy and beef products,
Nah they are all fine, you can buy the chocolate duty free any ways!!!! My parents bought over 2 1kg bars of Dairy Milk and two large tubs of Celebrations last time yummy!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Nah they are all fine, you can buy the chocolate duty free any ways!!!! My parents bought over 2 1kg bars of Dairy Milk and two large tubs of Celebrations last time yummy!
oowww utter relief, what about other food products, i notice on the WIKI page it says before you go a stock up at Costco on favs so how do you bring it in ?
I wouldn't want to upset customs on arrival to live in there country

actually i remember now we did bring easter eggs last year for our little boy lindt choc mmmm
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:46 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Birds Instant Custard, the one you just pour boiling water onto, mix and hey presto great custard.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
Blackcurrant squash. We've even seen Marmite here, but the concept of squash seems to have eluded Canadians so far.
Ribena is available but at a high cost. I have seen the HK version in Chinese groceries in bigger size bottles, so it may be more cost effective. There is also a Polish or other eastern european version sold at delis which can be cheaper. Not sure if it is tooth friendly or not.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inse
Real ale
It is available in Canada at some pubs. In the UK, it seems to be disappearing from the public consciousness at the expense of cheaper euro lager and bottled cheap booze (i.e alcopops etc).
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coffeepot

actually i remember now we did bring easter eggs last year for our little boy lindt choc mmmm
No problem getting Lindt chocolate products.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

shasa is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting, thought you could'nt take any kind of food in. So exactly what are you allowed to take through customs.
thought we'd take a few essentials for our daughter, until we find canadian alternatives, make the first few days/weeks easier for her.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:17 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clynnog
It is available in Canada at some pubs. In the UK, it seems to be disappearing from the public consciousness at the expense of cheaper euro lager and bottled cheap booze (i.e alcopops etc).
Naaah! Not at all. Even the huge chains like Wetherspoons have at least 6 guest ales. Here in sunny nunny we are spoiled for choice, the two biker/alt type pubs have between 8 and 12 guest ales and ciders from all over England.

I'll be bringing as many clothes as I can fit in my suitcases and PG tips to last at least 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.