British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Still waiting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/still-waiting-441721/)

The Davenports Apr 12th 2007 8:26 pm

Still waiting

Just heard that the High Commission will be rquesting us to go for medicals soon. Have to send the right of resedency fee. It looks like its happening after 2 and a half years of waiting in limbo. Hoping to move to the Toronto area, maybe Burlington or Hamilton. Anybody got any ideas of nice places to live and schools in these areas. Children are 8 and 12.

NovaBoy Apr 12th 2007 10:10 pm

Re: Still waiting

Originally Posted by The Davenports (Post 4633309)
Just heard that the High Commission will be rquesting us to go for medicals soon. Have to send the right of resedency fee. It looks like its happening after 2 and a half years of waiting in limbo. Hoping to move to the Toronto area, maybe Burlington or Hamilton. Anybody got any ideas of nice places to live and schools in these areas. Children are 8 and 12.

Congratulations - another step nearer! Just a bit more waiting.............

Good luck with everything.

:thumbsup:

chrisbryson Apr 12th 2007 10:17 pm

2 1/2 years - was that for a skilled worker app or have you got a job offer?
Good luck - hope it carries on moving for you.

The Davenports Apr 16th 2007 9:18 am

Our application was on The skilled Worker route. No we don't have jobs yet.

lee58uk Apr 16th 2007 1:36 pm

2 and 1/2 thats quick !!:thumbsup:

SAW 04 Apr 16th 2007 3:01 pm

Well done. I would imagine you are over the moon with such a quick timeline?!

With regards to your seeking advice, my advice if you haven't already done so is get yourself over here for an exploratory visit. Whilst others will offer their opinions there is no substitute for a visit in person.

Good luck

SAW 04

claire bob and matt Apr 16th 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by SAW 04 (Post 4649594)
Well done. I would imagine you are over the moon with such a quick timeline?!

With regards to your seeking advice, my advice if you haven't already done so is get yourself over here for an exploratory visit. Whilst others will offer their opinions there is no substitute for a visit in person.

Good luck

SAW 04

Yeah, what SAW04 said! Although it seems expensive, peeps really should come over and have a look around. It's a sight lot more expensive to not visit, emmigrate straight over and find it's not for you. Some have managed to settle in without visiting first, but I think that's very high risk. Besides its a good excuse for a great holiday!:thumbup:

C

bunnett Apr 16th 2007 9:14 pm

Well done Davenports!!! We were told by the CHC that our application had been approved and that we would hear in April/May for our medicals, so everyday is still a waiting game.

We are also looking at living in the Hamilton, Burlington, Cambridge, Guelph areas. And are going over May/June for a weeks recce trip.

One question though on the residency fee - how much are you having to pay (for each person), we know the system has changed, again we have also been waiting for 2 1/2 years (Nov 2004) going through the Skilled Workers process.

Good luck!!

davek Apr 16th 2007 10:39 pm

hi.....hamilton is grim,grey,industrial......burlington is ordinary.........many,many better places to live in ontario...try further north..

The Davenports Apr 17th 2007 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bunnett (Post 4651510)
Well done Davenports!!! We were told by the CHC that our application had been approved and that we would hear in April/May for our medicals, so everyday is still a waiting game.

We are also looking at living in the Hamilton, Burlington, Cambridge, Guelph areas. And are going over May/June for a weeks recce trip.

One question though on the residency fee - how much are you having to pay (for each person), we know the system has changed, again we have also been waiting for 2 1/2 years (Nov 2004) going through the Skilled Workers process.

Good luck!!

Looks like we appliied at the same time. Great minds think alike. We got our registration number in Nov 2004. The residency fee was 480 CAN $ per adult the children don't have to pay this. We found it hard to send this as it has to be a bankers draft in canadian Dollars made payable to the Receiver General for canada. Most banks don't do this over the counter, it has to be ordered and sent away for, then either delivered to your bank for you to collect or sent direct to you by post. Had a couple of trips to look around, going back again in December, then hopefully moving out there in summer 2008. Visited London but didn't really feel at home there, although I have heard good reports. Good Luck

Ben W Bell Apr 17th 2007 11:13 am

Can I ask how people know that CIC will be asking them to go for their medicals shortly? How have you found out that information?

bunnett Apr 17th 2007 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell (Post 4654027)
Can I ask how people know that CIC will be asking them to go for their medicals shortly? How have you found out that information?

Ben

We went to an Outbound Seminar in Edinburgh a few months back. We spoke with a couple of ladies from the CHC who were there and they told us that they were currently processing Nov/Dec 2004 and couldn't understand why we hadn't heard anything yet. They then suggested that we e-mail them with our file number asking what the position was.

We then e-mailed them to be told that we won't hear for another 3/4 months, I then e-mailed back saying I couldn't understand why having spoken with their colleagues. We then got another e-mail from them saying that our application had been processed and approved and we will receive information re our medical April/May time. (Our application along with many others were sent to Stockholm, Sweden to deal with, but from now on it will be the London Commissioners that will be dealing with us.

Hope this helps.

Sharon