Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still not decided...

Wikiposts

Still not decided...

Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still not decided...

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
There's no way I could get in (wishy-washy humanities degree) whereas I've taken the Canadian points test for fun and scored more than enough. I'm sure many people don't see Canada as USA-Light rather as USA-backdoor
The hard right in the US certainly see things that way.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:35 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure many people don't see Canada as USA-Light rather as USA-backdoor
Reality is somewhere in the middle I think. Certainly much easier to get PR in Canada for the average grad, and there is a perception that its USA light...all the goodness of the US but only 1% of the gun crime

Im the first to admit that my primary motivation for pursuing citizenship was parachute packing in case I needed to go work in the US, but out of that I think I realised how much I liked Canada as a whole.

Superfically theres not a lot of difference, but there are definite differences between US and Canada, certainly on a political and social safety net level, and to some extent culturally, which I think permeate through the country. Even Seperatism makes it an interesting place.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way I could get in (wishy-washy humanities degree) whereas I've taken the Canadian points test for fun and scored more than enough.
Thinking about it, that's odd as her indoors, falls a few points short, she'd need either to learn French or teach for a total of two years to qualify on her own. Are you counting something in the way of work experience?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Thinking about it, that's odd as her indoors, falls a few points short, she'd need either to learn French or teach for a total of two years to qualify on her own. Are you counting something in the way of work experience?
Yep, >4yrs work in the last 10yrs in a relevant category, and I gave myself moderate level french points for listening/reading (but only basic speaking and writing)... but whether the French claim would have stood up in a test environment isn't 100% certain!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Im the first to admit that my primary motivation for pursuing citizenship was parachute packing in case I needed to go work in the US, but out of that I think I realised how much I liked Canada as a whole.
Ditto. The game plan here was to head south over the border eventually, but now Mr B is talking about staying and heading *north* instead!!!