Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still not decided...

Wikiposts

Still not decided...

Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:07 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still not decided...

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If a prospective migrant chooses even the most liberal of the American states, he/she still must accept the larger package deal (the USA's foreign policy, an average national incarceration rate of 702 per 100,000 of population compared with Canada's 116 per 100,000, and on and on).
Highly relevant, I think Judy and I must be reading the same literature and background information ?

Comparing the extremes of income [top richest versus bottom poorest percentages], health care expenditure per capita, incarceration levels, etc would be interesting and would certainly reveal the true AB / US comparison angle. Other angles such as an Albertan take on the % of GNP which is funded for thrid world debt/aid etc are all interesting takes. I'm sure it would compare positively with a US public view that the 0.1% of GNP is TOO MUCH (general US opinion poll 2004).

Sadly, though I mentioned :nailing colours to the mast", and Judy mentioned Federalism as a connection to that, Ottawa has dished up so much authority to the Provinces and Territories that the pendulum has swung maybe too much the other way, and when government needs to pull things together to make a Canadian "standard deal" such as enforcing/protecting the Canada Health Act, it now finds that hard to do, too many opt outs, too much hand wringing etc. For example BC might be stronger supporting the CHA but AB would dismantle parts of it and rebuild with private healthcare delivery, etc etc. Therefore what was a standard Canadian experience becomes pocketed depending on local economies etc. Things like that and the AB attitude of "we're OK screw the Federal transfer to the have-nots" is very disappointing to a newcomer to Canada, though I personally view the latter as the opinion of the decision makers and deal takers rather than the wider AB public as a whole, who maybe rememebr the harsher times of the past decade clearer than the high and mighty's do, maybe because few of the latter were around in AB when the times were tough.

I still highlight the fact that 80% of Albertans wouldn't want closer ties economically or politically with the US (recent poll) whatever the take on the issue of AB/US/rednecks/hillbillies in trucks rant is. Klein is just very worrying, in a Bush-like way.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=CalgaryBlade]Hence your argument isn't based on your experience and is unsubstantiated.[QUOTE]

True but I also don't live in Iraq, Buffalo, Bosnia or Glasgow. I'm confident that I'd prefer not to.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

True but I also don't live in Iraq, Buffalo, Bosnia or Glasgow. I'm confident that I'd prefer not to.
I think the angle involved here is the difference in having a view on something compared to talking from direct experience.

I don't claim to talk from experience but I hope I have a good view on the many issues at stake in this interesting, diverse nation.

Personally I don't think there can ever be enough discussion of Canadian matters on here, even the more complex stuff which isn't immedialtely obvious from an 'Immigration" perspective.

I find a fair few people here to be very enlightening and interesting characters from which I have gained a lot of insight and advice.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Comparing the extremes of income [top richest versus bottom poorest percentages], health care expenditure per capita, incarceration levels, etc would be interesting and would certainly reveal the true AB / US comparison angle. Other angles such as an Albertan take on the % of GNP which is funded for thrid world debt/aid etc are all interesting takes. I'm sure it would compare positively with a US public view that the 0.1% of GNP is TOO MUCH (general US opinion poll 2004).
The extremes of income argument is, I think, a weak one. Canada has an extreme concentration of wealth (10% of families held 53% of the wealth in 1999 while the poorest 10% of families had a negative net worth
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/doc...ags_riches.pdf )
but that doesn't consider the tendency of rich Canadians to move abroad. Conrad Black, the Irvings, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, the list runs on and on, by and large rich Canadians don't live in Canada.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:46 am
Just Joined

syed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I've a family in Canada, Torronto. i've visited there in August. i have to tell you that "Arura" is wonderfull place. big houses, nice and clean area. v good neighbours. all professional peoples. u can buy a big house (almost new) only for C$400000.00.
Good luck to u
bye

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Along with many others,we have been looking at different areas of Canada to settle in, and would be very grateful for advice as it is impossible to visit each area beforehand.

After reading many posts on this forum it appears that our first choice of B.C is very expensive so we have been trying to research other areas such as Ontario. ( Visited B.C last summer and trip to Ontario booked for March 2006 - I know it will be cold, but flights are cheaper, and when you are paying for five people, every little helps !)

According to smog alert facts from google, Ontario has a problem with pollution, particularly air quality at times. The info from Ontario govt appears that there are days when many people have problems. Can anyone shed more light on this please?

One of the main reasons for moving to Canada is to have a better quality of life for our family, so health is obviously more important than a big property, but I would ideally like to have a bit of space where the children could play outside without annoying the neighbours! Also we don't want to have a mortgage so huge that we have to work all hours to be able to afford it.

It would be really helpful to have a section on this forum from people who have already moved, saying where they chose and why. Then all of us wannabes could log in to see the pros and cons of each area. (Or have you got something like this already and I just haven't found it?!!)

Rachel
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:47 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
The extremes of income argument is, I think, a weak one. Canada has an extreme concentration of wealth (10% of families held 53% of the wealth in 1999 while the poorest 10% of families had a negative net worth
So how does that compare to the US where the richest 3% have as much accumulated wealth as the lowest 100m ? (circa 30% of head of population).

And interestingly they are working to reclassify poverty so that poverty thresholds are higher.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
So how does that compare to the US where the richest 3% have as much accumulated wealth as the lowest 100m ? (circa 30% of head of population).

And interestingly they are working to reclassify poverty so that poverty thresholds are higher.

Rich.
I would guess that wealth and also power are more concentrated in Canada but it's very hard to find directly comparable figures. I'm looking .....

on edit :

Nothing to choose really http://www.statcan.ca/english/studie...02001s1a03.pdf

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 12th 2005 at 5:02 am. Reason: Found the numbers
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Just to get back to the original subject of this thread for a minute, I have found a site www.muchmormagazine.com that has in -depth info on many areas of Canada, if anyone else is having the same problems as we are. This month they are looking at Ontario, inc.Toronto and London.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

...I wonder if people considering moving there from the UK might do well to consider a left leaning US state as an alternative...
They might consider it, but it's hard to emigrate to the US as a Brit, isn't it? (yes I know, the US forum's full of those who've managed it....but generally it's not easy).

Last edited by Biiiiink; Dec 12th 2005 at 8:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Just to get back to the original subject of this thread for a minute........
No, let's stays on the subject of the original thread permanently.

I don't think some people in these forums left the UK, I think there were thrown out
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
They might consider it, but it's hard to get emigrate to the US as a Brit, isn't it? (yes I know, the US forum's full of those who've managed it....but generally it's not easy).
I don't know that it's harder than Canada, I'd think that, if you have a skill and find a job, you can go most anywhere. I suspect many emigrants choose Canada thinking it's USA-Light, whereas, in fact, I don't find it's all that different.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect many emigrants choose Canada thinking it's USA-Light, whereas, in fact, I don't find it's all that different.
Ssssssssush, a Canadain might be listening.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by philcUK
Ssssssssush, a Canadain might be listening.
Then I'll say that a big part of finding the US and Canada more similar than I expected is that America is not so awful as I previously thought (excepting Buffalo and New Jersey, of course).
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:21 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
They might consider it, but it's hard to get emigrate to the US as a Brit, isn't it?
Much harder to emigrate to the US than other "top expat destinations" but probably much easier to get in on a work permit IF you have good qualifications.

The US seems to prefer to gather "excellence" into the country on an official basis and rely on illegal labour for the really lousy jobs, whereas other places (UK, Australia, Canada) seem to actually just need to recruit man-power for minimum wage jobs (but select for entry on the basis of "skills" to cut the application paper work down).
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that it's harder than Canada, I'd think that, if you have a skill and find a job, you can go most anywhere. I suspect many emigrants choose Canada thinking it's USA-Light, whereas, in fact, I don't find it's all that different.
A healthy Brit with some further education/apprenticeship, the required no. of years work experience and the patience of a saint can reasonably expect to get into Canada at the moment, and this isn't the case with the US, is it?

There's no way I could get in (wishy-washy humanities degree) whereas I've taken the Canadian points test for fun and scored more than enough. I'm sure many people don't see Canada as USA-Light rather as USA-backdoor

Last edited by Biiiiink; Dec 12th 2005 at 8:29 am. Reason: yet another typo...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.