Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still not decided...

Wikiposts

Still not decided...

Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still not decided...

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Alberta would the most rightest-leaning of what it still a reasonably leftist-leaning nation, and whatever you might decry Alberta for, including the predominance of religion and right wing politics, at least there isn't the crazed paranoia and dark times (the 'new dark age') south the border. There is still a vast difference in culture even though on the surface it might not appear so.

Calgarians to comment ?
I believe you are correct, Rich_007. According to Michael Adams, founder of Environics Research Group and author of Fire and Ice: The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values, the most conservative province of Canada (Alberta) is more liberal than the most liberal state of the USA (Massachusetts).
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:21 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I believe you are correct, Rich_007. According to Michael Adams, founder of Environics Research Group and author of Fire and Ice: The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values, the most conservative province of Canada (Alberta) is more liberal than the most liberal state of the USA (Massachusetts).
Thank you Judy for clearly stating what I was having difficulty expressing.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That seems improbable, Massachusetts is quite liberal, for example, they have gay marriage. I'll look for the book tomorrow but would guess it was published some time ago.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
The opinions above are those of one individual who does not live in Alberta, and really has no clue what it is like to live in Alberta.

Most Albertans are probably no different than any other Canadians however there are a small number of "Red Necks" (Ralph for example) who seem to get us all a bad name.
"Ralph" is the premiere and has been for a long, long, time. If he does not reflect the opinions of the public why is it that he's repeatedly reelected ?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
That seems improbable, Massachusetts is quite liberal, for example, they have gay marriage.
Are you implying Alberta doesn't?

Alberta didn't to my knowledge use the Not-withstanding clause in this regard.

Gay marriage is as legal in Alberta as it is anywhere else in Canada
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

The book is summarised here :

http://www.theglobalist.com/DBWeb/St...x?StoryId=3501

It makes some very dubious claims :

"The Old World ideal of noblesse oblige has survived here even into this century, shaping our social assistance and public housing programs. In contrast, in the United States, the primary public expenditure has been mass education in the service of individual achievement."

Surely the big expenditures in the US are the military, prisons and medicare not education.

"Canadians have distanced themselves from traditional authority — organized religion, the patriarchal family and political elites."

Not so. We still have religion in schools and well attended places of worship.

I stopped reading at this point and started looking for empirical evidence, why does he think MA is the most liberal state ? What about California ? What measure does he use to determine that there's liberalism in Alberta ? Why does he think Alberta is more conservative than Quebec ? None is offered, it's an opinion piece, not a reasoned argument.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Are you implying Alberta doesn't?

Alberta didn't to my knowledge use the Not-withstanding clause in this regard.

Gay marriage is as legal in Alberta as it is anywhere else in Canada
If I recall correctly, the feds thrust it upon an unwilling Ralph, it's legal but not because Alberta wanted it. It seems not to be customary :

"Currently, same-sex marriages performed in seven provinces and one territory are legal and must be recognized. Same-sex marriages are not performed in Alberta, New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, but the Nunavut government will recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere."

CBC, June 2005,

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...dding0614.html
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:48 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Judy, interesting stuff that convergence theory.

I still regale my experience of sitting in Hy's, people-watching a pair of rather substantial Texans with their 12" ceegars discussing their take on life and the world....and their obnoxious berating of the [clearly gay] waiter due to his inability to serve up from what was a perfectly stocked wine celler a particular Portuguese red. The said chap was perfectly helpful to us during the excellent dining experience, and as it was our last night in Canada he got a hearty thanks and an oversized tip. Perhaps it made up for the attitude of the Texan assholes, who knows. It's a karma thing.

Quite what this has to do with the theme of the thread I have no idea and I apologise for dribbling somewhat .....the Hy's experience gave me an impression of Calgary, possibly skewed a little bit, but unpalatable all the same.

Rich.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Anyway, in terms of choosing a location, immigrants would do well to use their ideas about the US, not Canada, in evaluating AB.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:51 am

Anyway, in terms of choosing a location, immigrants would do well to use their ideas about the US, not Canada, in evaluating AB.
Once again the uninformed opinion of someone who does not live here.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:57 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

"Canadians have distanced themselves from traditional authority — organized religion, the patriarchal family and political elites."

Not so. We still have religion in schools and well attended places of worship.
Political elites, cabals of financial and other control, leverage of influence are all legendary coast to coast, from Toronto boardrooms to town hall meetings.

The wheels are very well oiled. shall we say ?

Reviews and summations from pro-globalist pro-free trade sources couldn't deliver objective insight anyway.

Rich.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 6:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

"Currently, same-sex marriages performed in seven provinces and one territory are legal and must be recognized. Same-sex marriages are not performed in Alberta, New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, but the Nunavut government will recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere."

CBC, June 2005
Alberta now allows same-sex marriage as long as no marriage commissioner who opposes same-sex marriage is forced to officiate at the wedding of a same-sex couple. The minister and lay chaplains at my church perform same-sex marriage ceremonies, and I myself was invited to the marriage of a gay couple in Calgary this past summer.

But I think we're quibbling about details. One of the larger points you've made, which is accurate in my opinion, is that Alberta -- overall -- is the most conservative province in Canada.

I often feel frustrated with Alberta's conservatism. When that happens, however, I'm judging Alberta in the Canadian context. That is, I find Alberta to have a meaner attitude than the rest of Canada. I feel disappointed that Alberta has a less generous outlook than other Canadian provinces do (at least according to my perception).

This is where I part company with you:

I wonder if people considering moving there [Alberta] from the UK might do well to consider a left leaning US state as an alternative. Colorado would be the obvious one, similar geography, similar climate, healthy economy but less hard right politics; it might be less of a shock to someone from the UK.
Rich_007 gave a response with which I agree:

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Yes but ultimately there's the matter of the socio-political-economic psychology of the country you live in, and for some people that's a big deal. Call it 'nailing your colours to the mast' or whatever. People of conscience have to have something to align their values to. Though usually, it comes lower down the tick-list than immediacy of jobs, social needs, access to leisure etc.

Alberta would the most rightest-leaning of what it still a reasonably leftist-leaning nation, and whatever you might decry Alberta for, including the predominance of religion and right wing politics, at least there isn't the crazed paranoia and dark times (the 'new dark age') that we see south of the border. There is still a vast difference in culture even though on the surface it might not appear so.
We could argue till we're blue in the face whether or not Massachusetts, California, Colorado, etc., are more liberal than Alberta. I do not believe they are, especially not Colorado which voted for Bush in 2004 (albeit it voted Democratic on the rest of the ballot). However, even suppose those states were more liberal than Alberta. That still wouldn't draw me away from Alberta towards one of them.

As Rich_007 indicated, the experience of living in Alberta is nested within the experience of living in Canada. Regardless of how right wing my fellow Albertans are, the federal government contains their behaviour. So there are limits to the extent to which their right wing attitudes can affect me.

If a prospective migrant chooses even the most liberal of the American states, he/she still must accept the larger package deal (the USA's foreign policy, an average national incarceration rate of 702 per 100,000 of population compared with Canada's 116 per 100,000, and on and on).

Alberta, with its limitations, still is more attractive to me than any American state.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Alberta now allows same-sex marriage as long as no marriage commissioner who opposes same-sex marriage is forced to officiate at the wedding of a same-sex couple. The minister and lay chaplains at my church perform same-sex marriage ceremonies, and I myself was invited to the marriage of a gay couple in Calgary this past summer.

But I think we're quibbling about details. One of the larger points you've made, which is accurate in my opinion, is that Alberta -- overall -- is the most conservative province in Canada.

I often feel frustrated with Alberta's conservatism. When that happens, however, I'm judging Alberta in the Canadian context. That is, I find Alberta to have a meaner attitude than the rest of Canada. I feel disappointed that Alberta has a less generous outlook than other Canadian provinces do (at least according to my perception).

This is where I part company with you:

Rich_007 gave a response with which I agree:

We could argue till we're blue in the face whether or not Massachusetts, California, Colorado, etc., are more liberal than Alberta. I do not believe they are, especially not Colorado which voted for Bush in 2004 (albeit it voted Democratic on the rest of the ballot). However, even suppose those states were more liberal than Alberta. That still wouldn't draw me away from Alberta towards one of them.

As Rich_007 indicated, the experience of living in Alberta is nested within the experience of living in Canada. Regardless of how right wing my fellow Albertans are, the federal government contains their behaviour. So there are limits to the extent to which their right wing attitudes can affect me.

If a prospective migrant chooses even the most liberal of the American states, he/she still must accept the larger package deal (the USA's foreign policy, an average national incarceration rate of 702 per 100,000 of population compared with Canada's 116 per 100,000, and on and on).

Alberta, with its limitations, still is more attractive to me than any American state.
Fair enough. I got well slapped at supper last night for forgetting that Hawaii is, far and away, more liberal than Massachusetts. Even that bastion of freedom has Dog: the bounty hunter.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Once again the uninformed opinion of someone who does not live here.
Of course I don't live there, I'm arguing that it's beyond the black stump, a desolate frozen wasteland in which politics is dominated by redneck religious fanatics. Politically and climatically an inhospitable place. Presumably you would be similarly disinclined to live here, perhaps because it has too many pinkos and is too damned hot.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Of course I don't live there, I'm arguing that it's beyond the black stump, a desolate frozen wasteland in which politics is dominated by redneck religious fanatics. Politically and climatically an inhospitable place. Presumably you would be similarly disinclined to live here, perhaps because it has too many pinkos and is too damned hot.
Hence your argument isn't based on your experience and is unsubstantiated.

"pinkos" etc weren't a big factor for us in deciding where to live. Climate was though and having spent time in Toronto in summer and winter, I'll take the weird weather of Calgary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.