Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still homesick after 56 years...

Still homesick after 56 years...

Old Jan 31st 2020, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Clifton Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still homesick after 56 years...

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're certainly not alone, but I do suspect you're remembering it with rose tinted glasses after 50+ years. Is a holiday there an option maybe? Go and explore for a few weeks with your wife and see how you feel then? I bet it'll feel just as foreign to you as any other country, it would give you some clarity at least.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks - and I think you're probably right. It will either kill or cure.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clifton Jim
Hello.

So here's my "agony aunt" story... We came out to Canada in 1964 when I was 9 years old (only child). I have a Canadian wife, two children and three (and expecting a fourth) grand children and I love them all dearly. You'd think I'd be well assimilated by now, but especially at this time of year (winter) I get terribly homesick. Something keeps calling me home and despite how wonderful my family and Canadians are, I never fully feel like I belong. My fault, not theirs.

Any other old-timers feel the same way?

Jim
To me it sounds like you’re nostalgic for a different era, when things were simpler and innocent. You happen to associate that era of your life with a place, but I think it’s normal to feel that way at Christmas and in winter, regardless of where you live, how far you have moved, or how happy your life currently is. It is the very definition of nostalgia.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 3:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Go and explore for a few weeks with your wife and see how you feel then? I bet it'll feel just as foreign to you as any other country.
I was thinking just the other day about how the money will have changed since I left. Imagine if you last saw it in the 60s pre-decimalisation

Old Jan 31st 2020, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Clifton Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
To me it sounds like you’re nostalgic for a different era, when things were simpler and innocent. You happen to associate that era of your life with a place, but I think it’s normal to feel that way at Christmas and in winter, regardless of where you live, how far you have moved, or how happy your life currently is. It is the very definition of nostalgia.
A bit of both really. The time, sure. It was a simpler time and as a child I was shielded from a lot of the tough stuff, in fact even living in a very lower middle class flat, it didn't bother me at all - there was always sense that things would turn out alright.

But the place, Clifton: the Suspension Bridge, the Birdcage, the Downs, my old street and my old school - even the light seems different. Those are the things I really miss.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clifton Jim
Thanks - and I think you're probably right. It will either kill or cure.
My experience of going back to the small town we left in 1964 when I was 9 was that everything looked different and smaller, because even though I'd been back briefly or passed through a few times, I was still remembering it through the eyes of a child, and my perspectives have changed.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I know that my remembrances of the 2 areas where I lived in Oldham, one until age 11, and the other from 11 to when we left have changed beyond belief.

I was last back in the area where I was born in 2001 and the street we lived on, the terrace house we lived in, and my grandparents' house across the street were all still the same ........... but walk the rest of the block to the top of the street, and WOW! I wouldn't even know how to get to the Junior School I went to. The park where I spent lots of hours on my own or with other kids my age was a no-go zone for many years, although it has allegedly been renovated and brought back to life. The rest of that area is very racially divided.

The second house I lived in was demolished in the 70s in a major area renovation, so the whole area has changed and been rebuilt, apart for the main road to Yorkshire. They even moved the War Memorial! The grammar school I attended was demolished about 10 years ago, for no better reason than the council voted to do it. It still looks like what we used to call a bomb site with much of the rubble still left, even though it is surrounded by hundreds of houses where once there were fields, and the school would have been a perfect for renovation to a community centre.

This is all in addition to the changes I mentioned in the town centre only 3 years after I'd left.

OH has better luck ........... his home town was Chester, and it is still much the same inside the walls, but neighbourhoods have changed.

Strangely what I really notice when walking around the various towns that we have visited when we go back, is how dirty and messy the streets are.

The one place where I felt things hadn't changed much, where I felt that I could still find my place to childhood haunts (and find they were still there), and felt somewhat at home was Scarborough, on the Yorkshire coast, which was the family's place for holidays right from the 1920s when my grandparents and parents went up until my brother died in 1990.

However, the last time we were there was in 1995 ......... and I'm afraid there might well have been changes since then
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My experience of going back to the small town we left in 1964 when I was 9 was that everything looked different and smaller, because even though I'd been back briefly or passed through a few times, I was still remembering it through the eyes of a child, and my perspectives have changed.

I find that was my experience of most of England ............. things seemed smaller and distances much shorter than they used to be.

It's almost a case of thinking "did we really spend half the day getting there?".

Of course, much of that time difference could be accounted for by the faster traffic and somewhat improved roads. We used to take the A roads when we visited on my brother's advice that they were now faster than the motorways, and he seemed to be generally correct. But the A roads were the busy roads 50 and more years ago!
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes as much as things change, they also in many ways stay the same. The street I grew up as well as the schools I went to basically identical as they were 20-35 years ago, the trees are bigger, and some stores are different but for the most part no major changes.

Go downtown and there has been massive change, but most people didn't/don't live downtown, even looking at videos from before my time in the 70's, I am sometimes amazed how much is the same today.

Old Jan 31st 2020, 9:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Could I just apologize for having written an emboldened response. I have a new tablet and it didn’t play nicely.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Could I just apologize for having written an emboldened response. I have a new tablet and it didn’t play nicely.
We may still call you Bold Millie for a while.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:01 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
We may still call you Bold Millie for a while.
In the summertime, most certainly...but a bit of a shadow of my former self, when it’s chilly!
Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Ruby123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim,

I’ve been in Canada almost 13 years. Moved with my husband, one and four year old children. I’ve been homesick every single day. Hoping to go back when my youngest finishes high school in four years. Canada has been good to us and we are living a decent life, but it’s not home to me. It’s been an adventure but it’s time for a new one. I wish you all the best.

Ruby.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:23 am
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Ruby123
Hi Jim,

I’ve been in Canada almost 13 years. Moved with my husband, one and four year old children. I’ve been homesick every single day. Hoping to go back when my youngest finishes high school in four years. Canada has been good to us and we are living a decent life, but it’s not home to me. It’s been an adventure but it’s time for a new one. I wish you all the best.

Ruby.
What a lovely post Ruby...now that you have found us, do say that you will stay! We really are a friendly bunch and encompass everything pro, anti, in between....and just ‘questioning’ Canada!

The best is, hopefully, to come

Old Feb 1st 2020, 2:46 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scilly
The one place where I felt things hadn't changed much, where I felt that I could still find my place to childhood haunts (and find they were still there), and felt somewhat at home was Scarborough, on the Yorkshire coast, which was the family's place for holidays right from the 1920s when my grandparents and parents went up until my brother died in 1990.

However, the last time we were there was in 1995 ......... and I'm afraid there might well have been changes since then
There was a large outdoor pool that was filled in with concrete (before 1995 though). That would have changed the summertime atmosphere. Lucky there are still a couple in Vancouver I guess.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby123
Hi Jim,

Ruby.
Hi,
Are you all moving back together?
I too have been 'homesick' almost every day I have been here... need to feel there is hope to it ending one day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.