Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still confused about Canadian calling....

Still confused about Canadian calling....

Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still confused about Canadian calling....

Originally Posted by dudlek
Am about to hit 3 year canniversary here in Fredericton NB and I have to admit I am still lost and confused as to the draw this country, sorry I have to say province as not been elsewhere, has for my OH and others
We moved here for a new and adventurous life initially in the maritimes with a view to take experiences in other parts of Canada when an if offered but I'll be honest I just don't 'get' it!
Admittedly I am a SE England home counties lass used to having my workplace ie London on my 1.5hour commute doorstep. Easy access to shops and amenities and if course no more than 1 and a quarter hours from the seaside. But let's be honest everybody without exception told me of how wonderful Canadia was its beauty and it's people!
Beauty? Ok when you have seen the amount of trees in NB you think if there is beauty, I can't see it for the trees, and the people, well let's put it this way, simply, frederictonians don't like outsiders not as friends nor as employees. Harsh? I don't think so. I had closer friendships and still do with the people I met in my 3 years in Amman, Jordan, which was warmer (lol) but still had nearly as much snow, just only lasted 2 weeks!
I have been recently surprised by my friend Sinead moving to Australia after 4 years here but then thought about it and it is not easy being the stranger here with the funny accent! My OH has a very good job in the RCAF so employment for him is not an issue, which I never take for granted, for me? It is!
So in summary, I just wanted to say that a visit gives you a pretty good view of amenities, etc but living here daily with the maritime mindset, very very hard and at times incredibly boring!
Ps must add that would love to x-country ski or snowshoe but had ankle op last feb and still healing so pretty wintry walks out too sadly!
I sorry if this post seems vague but I just want to be honest about how I see life here and of course appreciate others feel differently.

I can relate to so much of your post, I'm lucky we moved to Red Deer, it's a transient City with people moving in and out all the time so much easier for outsiders to get some sort of job, but because people are always on the move it's harder to make good friends, we've been her 7 years and I have only just found a friend I really connect with, I do have other friends that I spend time with too that I have known for some time. I get the boredom thing too. We know we need to move on, we just don't know where too and we're not rushing it this time