Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Still confused about Canadian calling....

Still confused about Canadian calling....

Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:52 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still confused about Canadian calling....

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Me too Chromeo! Although I wasn't as lucky as you to live further in or work in the city - I grew up at the western end of the Central line and lived in Kingston for a while. But I love London. It just makes me happy. I like TO. I do like the fact we can closer to downtown than we ever could in London. But like you if I could move back tomorrow, I would.....I'm very lucky my OH is happy to do that.
I lived in Surbiton, it was lovely. Trouble is, London is pretty awful right now. There is zero jobs and opportunities to be had. We spent 4 months, unexpectedly at my parents in laws place in Clapham Jct and eventually got two rubbish jobs. It was brutal.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im confused the OP said they moved here. Im tending to think they applied rather than being sat at home in the UK and the phone rang one night and a nice Canadian Govt official asked them if they might consider moving to Canada. Maybe we have an army of officials selecting random numbers from various UK phone directories and ringing up people.

There are umpteen threads and opinions on this subject. Canada is not for everyone who considers moving here. Some make it some dont for a variety of reasons.
I know there is the old saying that you will never know until you try.
Lots have moved back with no regrets moving to Canada others not.
Things are constantly changing and Canada has its own problems.
There is no guarantee it will work likewise none that it wont.
You have to make a decision and live with it and trying not to blame others if it fails because shit happens in every country.
Do your research then make a decision because sitting back saying should we or shouldnt we will drive you mental.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dudlek
Am about to hit 3 year canniversary here in Fredericton NB and I have to admit I am still lost and confused as to the draw this country, sorry I have to say province as not been elsewhere, has for my OH and others
We moved here for a new and adventurous life initially in the maritimes with a view to take experiences in other parts of Canada when an if offered but I'll be honest I just don't 'get' it!
Admittedly I am a SE England home counties lass used to having my workplace ie London on my 1.5hour commute doorstep. Easy access to shops and amenities and if course no more than 1 and a quarter hours from the seaside. But let's be honest everybody without exception told me of how wonderful Canadia was its beauty and it's people!
Beauty? Ok when you have seen the amount of trees in NB you think if there is beauty, I can't see it for the trees, and the people, well let's put it this way, simply, frederictonians don't like outsiders not as friends nor as employees. Harsh? I don't think so. I had closer friendships and still do with the people I met in my 3 years in Amman, Jordan, which was warmer (lol) but still had nearly as much snow, just only lasted 2 weeks!
I have been recently surprised by my friend Sinead moving to Australia after 4 years here but then thought about it and it is not easy being the stranger here with the funny accent! My OH has a very good job in the RCAF so employment for him is not an issue, which I never take for granted, for me? It is!
So in summary, I just wanted to say that a visit gives you a pretty good view of amenities, etc but living here daily with the maritime mindset, very very hard and at times incredibly boring!
Ps must add that would love to x-country ski or snowshoe but had ankle op last feb and still healing so pretty wintry walks out too sadly!
I sorry if this post seems vague but I just want to be honest about how I see life here and of course appreciate others feel differently.
Originally Posted by Lorry1
Same apart from change NB to NS.
Originally Posted by yogi.bear
Hi, I read with interest your posting as your doubts sounds exactly like what we are going through at the moment.
We moved here from the UK in November 2010 and bought a house on the northside of Fredericton. We had visited the province before we came here and thought it would be nice to have a country lifestyle and improve our quality of life. Whilst we do not regret our move as it has been an experience we do wonder if we have chosen the wrong province. We are both having to work in jobs with funny shifts and so do not spend as much time together as a family as we would like although at least I get to work from home and so no childcare is necessary. We chose to pay for a private school for our eight year old as we have found the quality of education here to be dreadful. Fortunately we only have one child or we probably would not be able to afford it. When you have a teacher tell you that it doesn't matter if the spelling is incorrect as long as they understand it, it does make you wonder doesn't it!
Like you we do not find the people of Fredericton to be particularly friendly and welcoming, now I don't think this has much to do with us being 'foreigners' as we have spoken to other Canadians who are now living in other areas such as Moncton as it is so much friendlier. We have therefore made very few 'friends', acquaintances yes but that is about it.
I do miss the shops and the choice of goods, very shallow I know. I also miss the British sense of humour very much, we can't remember the last time we had a really good laugh with anyone other than each other.
When I look at what I have written it all looks very negative, maybe I just needed to write it down. Of course there are good points to living here, there is very little crime and it is a far more relaxed way of life. It is a nice place to bring up children. We have a much larger house than we did in the UK and I love seeing deer in the garden and watching the woodpeckers.
Maybe we should have actually done more research, we thought we had but maybe not enough. Maybe we just haven't given it long enough, but we can't see the job market changes dramatically there are not not the opportunities here.
Anyway my husband has now started applying for jobs in Ontario so we will see how it goes. If its meant to be its meant to be.
I know how you feel. Seemed like a good idea at the time to move from Hampshire to the middle of nowhere, but we abandoned ship after 8 months in Fredericton and 5 years in Fall River, NS.

We now live in southern Mississauga and work in Toronto and it has the perfect balance of being busy enough to get the stuff we need and want, and quiet enough to not complain like we used to in the UK.

We just realized what we thought we wanted when we left the UK was not what we actually want in reality. Been expensive, but at least we have a story to tell
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im confused the OP said they moved here. Im tending to think they applied rather than being sat at home in the UK and the phone rang one night and a nice Canadian Govt official asked them if they might consider moving to Canada. Maybe we have an army of officials selecting random numbers from various UK phone directories and ringing up people.
Seeing as they have said they were 'posted' there, they may not have applied. Perhaps Army? Or just a work transfer.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 20th 2012 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Seeing as they have said they were 'posted' there, they may not have applied. Perhaps Army? Or just a work transfer.
Good one the RCAF is a clue I missed. So Canada wasnt really calling her it calling her husband and if wishing to stay together then its a sort of no brainer.
I must pay attention to details oh wait Im not at work
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Attention to detail, sweetheart!

Hubby is a helicopter pilot who transferred from the RAF to the Canadian airforce (lots of it going on these days). Forces personnel do get posted every few years. Kingston would make sense for a helicopter pilot because there is a helicopter wing based there. And quite a few prison officers looking for new jobs.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Souvy

Hubby is a helicopter pilot who transferred from the RAF to the Canadian airforce (lots of it going on these days). Forces personnel do get posted every few years. Kingston would make sense for a helicopter pilot because there is a helicopter wing based there. And quite a few prison officers looking for new jobs.
Why would he take a downgrade old forces joke UK v Canadian.
So how come in my job when I pay attention to details sometimes the traveller is pissed off at me
I see you have more than $20 in dairy products
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he take a downgrade old forces joke UK v Canadian.
So how come in my job when I pay attention to details sometimes the traveller is pissed off at me:lol:
I see you have more than $20 in dairy products
I cannot begin to imagine.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Paul in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Some of the things on National TV......fashion tips for things my mum was doing over 30 years ago......some shows on a par with what we saw in the UK when all night TV was in its infancy, like that tacky James Whale show.
Care for some Canadian music? This group is based out of Calgary.
http://www.barrage.org/videoGallery/...new_video.html
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Paul in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by se1zm1c
Seriously even after 4 years? To be honest ... I'm convincing myself that I'll be ok in a GTA winter...but if I'm honest, I'm not sure at all how I'll cope with 3-4 months of relentless grey sky, bone chilling cold and snowscapes. Is it something you can learn to tolerate coming from SE UK?
People have moved here from everywhere in the world including the Sahara. Most of them survived.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
I think that depends on you and what you do. I couldn't give naffing toss about making mates with anyone over here, I wish they'd just piss off and leave me alone. That said, I've ended up with way more I want, mainly due my access to a boat and that and I make a bolloxy hot curry which they seem to snaffle up like its the best thing they've ever had.

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Average number of hours of bright sunshine a year in major Canadian cities. City Hours
Calgary, Alberta 2405
Winnipeg, Manitoba 2372
Regina, Saskatchewan 2338
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan 2329
Edmonton, Alberta 2299
Victoria, British Columbia 2193
Hamilton, Ontario 2088
Ottawa, Ontario 2061
Barrie, Ontario 2055
Toronto, Ontario 2038

Be like the Village People and Go West.
But not too far west or you'll be back in the grey and wet!

Hey! Calgary won something!!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
But not too far west or you'll be back in the grey and wet!

Hey! Calgary won something!!
There is not a lot west of Victoria BC other than Pacific Ocean.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:15 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is not a lot west of Victoria BC other than Pacific Ocean.
How can you say that!!! There's a least two things!!!! Maybe three....
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Souvy

Yep, OH took lateral transfer programme so we did have canadian govt officials calling us up at home lol and I would not have come here if OH had needed to take a pay cut, they need experienced pilots.
When I wrote the OP I was trying to put across the world I have, so far, experienced and I say, so far as much. I miss my family, we made the decision to come here, I wasn't dragged here. So hopefully the RCAF won't insist on my OH staying at CFB gagetown and maybe CFB Borden or CFB Kingston may be places we could try for the next 3-5 years (usual posting time) and then work out whether we want to move further west and try somewhere new or stay and work on the 'better the devil you know' theory.
Thanks so much for your varied comments though, been a good re-read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.