Stereotypes / Racism

Stereotypes / Racism

Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

paintballsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stereotypes / Racism

Hi,

I want to know if there are any stereotyping / racism,

Well I know of course there is - you are bound to get it where ever you go.

But I am British-Asian (Indian sub-continent) and was wondering how people from my part of the world are recieved in Canada

Are we considered dangerous, outcasts because of events like September 11 (9/11) or London bombings (7/7)?

Also I want to pursue a career in law enforcement one day - do you think my race will have an impace on this? or do I have to be born in Canada to be a police officer?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:45 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stereotypes / Racism

Probably depends where you're planning on going. If you're going to one of the big cities, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think racial stereotyping is a huge issue...but then Im a white anglo so I would be the last one to notice anyway. You are right though, you find ignorant people wherever you go, but I dont think its particularly based in terrorism as Canada has not been on the recieving end like the US and UK have, save for one bomb plot that was foiled a year or two ago.

As far as policing goes, I think to join the RCMP you need to be a citizen, but for most local forces its not a requirement, PR is enough.

I think there is a whole seperate area for policing type jobs on this site, as well as a handful of contributors to the canada area who are at various stages of becoming cops over here.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 27th 2007 at 7:15 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Chief constable of West Vancouver Police Force ...

Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Most if not all Canadian police Services require that you are a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident before they can appoint you.

Have a look at the "police" section on this site under the Working Abroad bit - and because I am technically crap at adding attachments and links, have a look at my reply to a thread called 'Securing Employment' which may answer some of your questions ....

As for race, for once I'm going to agree with Bazz (drum roll - very rare) and say that I don't think it would be an issue pretty much anywhere you went here ....

Good luck
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:06 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Chief constable of West Vancouver Police Force ...

http://sikhchic.com/cms/articles/photo1/a-kash1.jpg

I think I need to be arrested.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
As for race, for once I'm going to agree with Bazz (drum roll - very rare) and say that I don't think it would be an issue pretty much anywhere you went here
Just wild speculation on my part, but I don't know if small-town Alberta would be as accepting as say, downtown Toronto.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:10 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

In a similar vein... Attorney-General of BC:

(although I believe he was born in Canada... ?)

(yup, he was)

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Sep 27th 2007 at 7:12 pm. Reason: googled
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Just wild speculation on my part.
If you are speculating and dont actually know its probably better not to say anything right? You would probably think the same thing about small town ontario, but I'm not sure its as bad as all that... While you will find a fair number of ignorant hicks, most people here will give you a chance and judge you by your actions. What you are less likely to find in small town canada than the larger cities is a ready made niche to fit into.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 27th 2007 at 7:37 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:25 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

well there is never any shortage of speculation on this forum! This thread looks like it has the potential to turn into one of those not-to-be-missed heated debates although, sadly, I have to leave now to collect my car from the garage (had its handbrake fixed!)
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:28 pm

Wrong.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And while we are on about it, Jim Chu, Chief Constable of the Vancouver Police was born in Shanghai. Ujjal Dosanjh, the former Premier of BC was born in India. Of course, there are bigots and racists in Canada, but you can still achieve what you want to achieve regardless of your skin colour or place of birth.

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 27th 2007 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Excessive use of the word "still".
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
well there is never any shortage of speculation on this forum! This thread looks like it has the potential to turn into one of those not-to-be-missed heated debates although, sadly, I have to leave now to collect my car from the garage (had its handbrake fixed!)
I dont need to speculate I know as my MIL lives in small town Ontario and they are all rascist / homophobic / sexist bigots trust me!!! however in Toronto my best freind is gay/angl white and happily walks down the street hand in hand with his asian husband!!!

To prove how non plussed ppl in TOronto really are, we plan to go out during the first snow with tea cosys on our head and see if anyone bats an eyelid, youtube link to follow!!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And while we are on about it, Jim Chu, Chief Constable of the Vancouver Police was born in Shanghai. Ujjal Dosanjh, the former Premier of BC was born in India. Of course, there are bigots and racists in Canada, but you can still achieve what you want to achieve regardless of your skin colour or place of birth.
Is that true? dbd33 seems to think that's impossible to run a successful convenience store in Toronto unless you're Korean.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

dbb seems to believe quite a lot of things that dont jive with my experience of life in Canada,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.