British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   step up/down transformer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/step-up-down-transformer-883646/)

ShirleyEB Sep 21st 2016 6:18 pm

step up/down transformer

hi everyone, I am moving to Newfoundland in November. Apart from a couple of items which are dual voltage, I am leaving my electrical stuff behind. However I am considering bringing my sewing machine- for occasional use only. I have been reading around step up/down transformers etc. My machine is 220-240 voltage, 50 Hz and 50 W.

I understand the bit about changing from 220-240 to 110, and think I will need a 100 Watt transformer, but I'm a bit confused about the 50 Hz bit!

Basically has anyone brought a sewing machine from the Uk and successfully used it in Canada?

Also do I need to buy the transformer in Canada, or here in the UK and put it in the container which is heading off in 2 weeks.

Any advice would be much appreciated

kind regards
Shirley

not2old Sep 21st 2016 6:32 pm

Re: step up/down transformer

50Hz sewing maching should be OK with a 110-220v Transformer.

Purchase one when you get here

In the following thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ooster-881051/

Pulaski Sep 21st 2016 6:41 pm

North American mains is 60Hz, so depending on the motor, it might not run at the right speed.

Yorkiechef Sep 21st 2016 7:55 pm

I bought my Transformer in Canada from Amazon, It was $100 and took less than a week to arrive, it is about the size of a shoe box. I have more than returned the outlay, as my Dyson Vacuum works in Canada and they cost a small fortune to buy new here.

The thread that not2old pointed out is my thread about just this matter.

ShirleyEB Sep 21st 2016 9:02 pm

hi guys thanks for the very helpful information, and links in referenced thread. It can be bewildering when trying to weigh up the cost of replacing items while trying to ensure I don't blow up our home in Canada. We are heading over for a familiarisation visit in 2-3 weeks to get practical stuff organised, in advance of our final move, so i'm sure I will be back with more questions!

WeeGem Sep 21st 2016 11:09 pm

I have a transformer sitting unused right now. Used it for some hi-fi gear and other stuff that wouldn't run here.

Yours if you want it. (I'm in St. John's)

WeeGem

Oakvillian Sep 22nd 2016 1:55 am

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB (Post 12058292)
hi guys thanks for the very helpful information, and links in referenced thread. It can be bewildering when trying to weigh up the cost of replacing items while trying to ensure I don't blow up our home in Canada. We are heading over for a familiarisation visit in 2-3 weeks to get practical stuff organised, in advance of our final move, so i'm sure I will be back with more questions!

Some of the advice in the linked thread is not terribly clear, but it's sound nonetheless. For your sewing machine, don't let the 50Hz/60Hz thing worry you. In other cases, the recommendation is usually not to bother bringing over stuff that has a motor that needs to run at a particular speed (it'll run 20% too fast and likely burn out sooner) or a heating element (it will draw a hefty current and require a big and expensive transformer to be effective). But since a sewing machine has a variable speed motor controlled by the foot pedal, you'll be able to run it at the required speed by being a bit lighter on the pedal - and when you're stitching a long straight seam the flat-out speed will feed the fabric through a little bit quicker! We have a UK sewing machine that gets plugged in through a transformer and it has worked perfectly well for a decade.

ShirleyEB Sep 22nd 2016 9:23 am

Originally Posted by WeeGem (Post 12058371)
I have a transformer sitting unused right now. Used it for some hi-fi gear and other stuff that wouldn't run here.

Yours if you want it. (I'm in St. John's)

WeeGem

hi Wee Gem that's very much appreciated, and nice to 'meet' another expat when I move to St John's. I'm moving over mid November and would be happy to try yours out

ShirleyEB Sep 22nd 2016 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12058484)
But since a sewing machine has a variable speed motor controlled by the foot pedal, you'll be able to run it at the required speed by being a bit lighter on the pedal - and when you're stitching a long straight seam the flat-out speed will feed the fabric through a little bit quicker! We have a UK sewing machine that gets plugged in through a transformer and it has worked perfectly well for a decade.

hi Oakvillan, this is music to my ears. I had really debated with myself whether to leave it behind and buy another, but just couldn't justify the cost of my loss here in the UK, combined with the replacement costs for an occasional use item, compared with the essentials we will need. That's helpful re foot speed, and I hope I get 10 years from mine too!

Jukeboxwidow Sep 22nd 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef (Post 12058249)
I bought my Transformer in Canada from Amazon, It was $100 and took less than a week to arrive, it is about the size of a shoe box. I have more than returned the outlay, as my Dyson Vacuum works in Canada and they cost a small fortune to buy new here.

The thread that not2old pointed out is my thread about just this matter.

I could have almost written this myself, we shipped a setup/set down with us for my Dyson as I was not giving it up & replacing it over here was not a reality with the prices they charge.

ShirleyEB Sep 28th 2016 3:43 pm

thanks jukebox widow- useful to know that my machine will be viable. It's good we can take these things rather than paying a fortune for replacement!!

CDNReturner Sep 29th 2016 1:44 pm

I don't respond on here much but I wasn't leaving the UK without my 3 sewing machines. The sewing machine store sold me the the step-up step-down transformer and it's worked fine for me for the past 12 years. Having a sewing business I use them all the time.

Markicof Sep 30th 2016 1:41 am

It will run fine. You may find it runs either a little faster or a little slower (if the synchronous speed is exceeded). In all likelihood it won't be that noticeable.

The only thing you need to be careful with due to the change in frequency is either sensitive electronic devices or larger motors greater than around 3kW.

Pulaski Sep 30th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Markicof (Post 12064995)
..... The only thing you need to be careful with due to the change in frequency is either sensitive electronic devices or larger motors greater than around 3kW.

But at 3Kw they are at or above the upper limit of what it is safe to plug into a standard domestic socket in either the UK or North America. I have never seen anything rated at more than 3kw/12.5A in the UK, and in North America most domestic circuits are only rated for 1,800w/15A, and appliances drawing over 12A are rare. 20A circuits have a slightly different socket and accept a different plug that won't fit into a typical socket.

not2old Sep 30th 2016 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Markicof (Post 12064995)
It will run fine. You may find it runs either a little faster or a little slower (if the synchronous speed is exceeded). In all likelihood it won't be that noticeable.

The only thing you need to be careful with due to the change in frequency is either sensitive electronic devices or larger motors greater than around 3kW.

For reference....

Looked on line at the UK Argos catalog store in the UK & indeed they sell 3Kw (3000watts) electric kettles for domestic household use. Breville was the one brand that is 3000 watts.

Now I know why my sisters kettle boils water so fast

In the UK, take the 3Kw/240Volts, is approx 12.5amps, which is pushing the upper limit of a conventional 13 amp house socket

Looked & could not find any sewing machines rated at 3000 watts - something lon average 100watts, with load, I'm guessing ~300watts.

Mind you the price of some of the fancy computerized sewing machines range £2000 - £6000 in price

For the OP, you may want to check the power rating of your machines to make sure they wont exceed the approx 1800 watts Pulaski posted on above, also that if they are computerized you may want to check with the manufacturer to see if the software will work without issues or will there be any issues for any reason over this side of the pond

As well as if service & parts for your machines is available here in Canada