Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Static shocks in Calgary

Static shocks in Calgary

Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future
Default Re: Static shocks in Calgary

I was having the same problem with the car and didn't even think about it being the climate well there you go i shall get some inch thick rubber gloves and use them to open the car door.

I too was starting to resemble a granola bar after arriving here in July and now slap on udder cream - made by a company with a sense of humour, sells in shoppers drug mart in moisturiser isle white tub with cow markings on it. tried lots of different ones but this is good and thick,sinks in well and smells good and doesn't irritate sensitive skin.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:43 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I get these shocks on vancouver island. Bought a new car, and was actually too frightened to close the door, as the shocks sent me leaping. I learnt to use my bag to close the door, but then if I entered a shop with metal doors it got me then!!

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
Now its getting colder & drier, the bloody static shocks I get from the car & virtually everything else metallic that I come into contact with, are becoming more intense and painful. They REALLY irritate me

Has anyone found anything to help with this (i.e. those rubber grounding strips hanging from your car - do they work etc)?

What have people found to be the best moisturiser? No matter how much I have put on recently, I seem to be all dried up like Quaker Porridge Oats (not to mention chapped lips)!

Damp climates definitely have their advantages.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

Now its getting colder & drier, the bloody static shocks I get from the car & virtually everything else metallic that I come into contact with, are becoming more intense and painful. They REALLY irritate me

Has anyone found anything to help with this (i.e. those rubber grounding strips hanging from your car - do they work etc)?

What have people found to be the best moisturiser? No matter how much I have put on recently, I seem to be all dried up like Quaker Porridge Oats (not to mention chapped lips)!

Damp climates definitely have their advantages.
Try an application of fabric softener on surface of gloves before leaving house. Keep some in a spray bottle and take it with you. Don't soak the gloves. This is bad. In dry times I put it on hands and around ankles and usually wool and fleece hats..anything thats got nylon in it. Seems to work!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:11 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the replies and advice guys - was beginning to wonder if it was just me who was scared to close a car door - our cars have finger prints all over the windows were we have pushed the glass to close doors!

What I don't get is that The Weather Network said today that the Relative Humidity in Calgary was 93% - but I still feel as dry as a bone (& flaky)
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:22 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

try wearing rubber shoes to insulate you from the ground, those anti static strips actually do work too.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadey
try wearing rubber shoes to insulate you from the ground, those anti static strips actually do work too.
I admit I didn't pay much attention in physics class but shouldn't you *stop* wearing rubbersoled shoes if you want to stop shocks?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:28 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I admit I didn't pay much attention in physics class but shouldn't you *stop* wearing rubbersoled shoes if you want to stop shocks?
I wear them all the time, never get a shock! or is that because of the pants?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:58 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really know much about the physics side either. All I know is that when I take my fleece off (one of the ones you have to pull over your head), I crackle so loudly that you would think lightning was striking and thats with rubber soled shoes on!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

I don't really know much about the physics side either. All I know is that when I take my fleece off (one of the ones you have to pull over your head), I crackle so loudly that you would think lightning was striking and thats with rubber soled shoes on!
Try doing that in the dark, it's like your own version of "The Northern Lights"
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:27 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The upsides of living in a dry climate:

Downsides of living in a dry climate:

Consequences that can be regarded as advantages or disadvantages, depending on your point of view:

During my vegan phase my husband bought a sheepskin seat cover for his car. When he unpacked it from its wrapping, it didn't fit his car seat after all, and he offered it to me for my vehicle. I felt as if I was accepting soiled goods from an axe murderer, but thought that, since the poor sheep already was dead, I might as well use the wretched thing. Now that I stop to think about it, I think it does reduce the amount of static electricity -- over and above the fact that it's soft and makes the seat feel cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather.
              Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:19 am
              Banned

Brodie will become famous soon enough

I get those bloody shocks all the time, must be my electric personality
              Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:36 am
              Forum Regular

coolboarder is an unknown quantity at this point

I am no expert but doesnt the rubber stop the shock reaching earth, thus stopping you getting the shock. I think its when the shock travels right through you that you actualy feel it. Wearing rubber soles is like standing on a rubber mat and you are stopping the shock from grounding.

Not sure if thats right,,,probably just told you a load of tosh...
              Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:35 pm
              Brian & Joanne

crazykanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdy All

I think this is really funny, being born and raised in Calgary, I rarely get any shocks at all, a really good humidifier in your home works well, the only problem I really have in the winter is my fingers tips crack and is very painful, but what you can do is at night I ware rubber gloves and good hand cream and they heal right up.

Last edited by crazykanuck; Nov 14th 2005 at 12:37 pm.
              Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:40 pm
              ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolboarder
              I am no expert but doesnt the rubber stop the shock reaching earth, thus stopping you getting the shock. I think its when the shock travels right through you that you actualy feel it. Wearing rubber soles is like standing on a rubber mat and you are stopping the shock from grounding.

Not sure if thats right,,,probably just told you a load of tosh...
              Correct...a load of old tosh. Whats happening is the difference in charge between yourself and your car is equalising. It doesnt really matter if its travelling to "ground" or not.
              Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:05 pm
              Forum Regular

coolboarder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
              Correct...a load of old tosh. Whats happening is the difference in charge between yourself and your car is equalising. It doesnt really matter if its travelling to "ground" or not.
              Oh well, you live and learn. Should have listened more at school.