Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

State of Canadian economy

State of Canadian economy

Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:06 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of Canadian economy

Originally Posted by MarkG
If rates do keep dropping, then I think house prices in the West could keep bubbling for quite some time.
If you take the urban centres out of the equation, lumber and paper industries seem to be suffering for a variety of reasons
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...0-e9becd5a2975
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...d09dcc&k=66977

The high Canadian dollar is probably not exactly helping tourism at the moment either.

I don't know how these sectors compare to mining in terms of contributions to the BC economy but I would say that BC is not exactly looking rosy for quite a few people right now. As long as rich Albertans and immigrants (pseudo or otherwise) are buying property things look okay I guess.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To me the big question is what the Canadian government will do with interest rates.

Pedantic perhaps, but the Canadian Government has no direct control over interest rates, the Bank of Canada does. Just like in the UK since the first days of NuLab.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
The high Canadian dollar is probably not exactly helping tourism at the moment either.
The Canadian dollar isn't high; it's just doing better than the piece of toilet paper they use below the border.

Western governments are engaged in a race to the bottom right now to see how fast they can devalue their currencies, which is why commodity prices have risen so much compared to those devalued currencies. So far the Canadian government have devalued less that most others.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Pedantic perhaps, but the Canadian Government has no direct control over interest rates, the Bank of Canada does. Just like in the UK since the first days of NuLab.
As I understand it, the Canadian government control how the inflation figures are calculated just as Gordon Brown does. If the central bank is supposed to keep inflation at 2% and the government tell it what the inflation figure is, how is that in any way 'indepdendent'?

House prices here in Saskatoon have been rising by 30+% a year; are we really supposed to believe that inflation is only 1.7%?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:59 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian dollar isn't high; it's just doing better than the piece of toilet paper they use below the border.

Western governments are engaged in a race to the bottom right now to see how fast they can devalue their currencies, which is why commodity prices have risen so much compared to those devalued currencies. So far the Canadian government have devalued less that most others.
I stand corrected on the specifics but had vaguely remembered hearing or reading during the ski season that tourism numbers were down, largely due to a drop off in visitors from south of the border.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...Tourism_080122
I don't suppose the current level of oil related transport costs will help bring them back yet.

Unless Euro-zoners, Australians or Middle Easterners (or wherever the currency looks good against the Canadian dollar) head here en masse with their buckets and spades it could well be a poorer year for those in the industry.

I'm not suggesting that the BC economy is in the doldrums (people I know seem pretty happy with things still), just pointing out to wannabe residents that there is more to BC than Vancouver house prices.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by acer rose
I stand corrected on the specifics but had vaguely remembered hearing or reading during the ski season that tourism numbers were down, largely due to a drop off in visitors from south of the border.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...Tourism_080122
I don't suppose the current level of oil related transport costs will help bring them back yet.

Unless Euro-zoners, Australians or Middle Easterners (or wherever the currency looks good against the Canadian dollar) head here en masse with their buckets and spades it could well be a poorer year for those in the industry.

I'm not suggesting that the BC economy is in the doldrums (people I know seem pretty happy with things still), just pointing out to wannabe residents that there is more to BC than Vancouver house prices.
What to do, what to do? My strategy of coming on a TWP and applying for PR is looking more of a gamble in view of the slight air of uncertainty that seems to be around. It was like this here around a year ago, when everyone was making confident statements along the lines of, "Oh, there will be a house price fall of no more than 5%." (of course if that was all, we could just shoot all the Canadian estate agents, I refuse to call them realtors till I have PR, Problem solved.