Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

State Arts Funding

State Arts Funding

Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Arts Funding

Well, that's what I figured. Weather, protection, all that kind of stuff. Suppose it's as relevant walking the downtown core for a 12 hour shift as it is for riding across the prairies?!

Personally I just think they look a bit silly but I'd rather wear one of those if it's peeing down, snowing or 30 degrees sunshine. Better than that stupid bowler hat I was given, or the "tit" hat the bobbies in the UK wear - and boy, do they have some rain over there

I understand that spending city dollars on a stetson perhaps sounds a bit frivolous to Butch. If it were Wimbledon high street then yes - but we're in Calgary for goodness sake. Get with the programme
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
No the point is (and I think you and dbd and FM will agree) there has to be some form of State Funding for the Arts or we are in danger of American Idol being the Legacy we leave our great grand kids.
Only cos you are too selfish. If you want 'better' art, get off your arse and do something about it. This lack of respect for people is typical of the middle class left - only the state knows what's best for people, the people are too stupid to do art themselves or if they do it's a load of kitsch crap and so they need to be told what real art is.

Just where do you draw the line for state involvement in peoples lives? Seems to me, you want art but don't want to pay the real cost of it. I.e. I have to pay for the art I like and also the art you like - explain to me what benefit I get from this again?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Valid or not, one of the reasons given for the Stetsons is that it keeps the rain from running down the backs of their necks.
I'd suggest it was more to give extra shade from the sun to faces and necks.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
That's 'cos we don't need any more red necks
Old Sep 20th 2009, 3:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Only cos you are too selfish. If you want 'better' art, get off your arse and do something about it. This lack of respect for people is typical of the middle class left - only the state knows what's best for people, the people are too stupid to do art themselves or if they do it's a load of kitsch crap and so they need to be told what real art is.

Just where do you draw the line for state involvement in peoples lives? Seems to me, you want art but don't want to pay the real cost of it. I.e. I have to pay for the art I like and also the art you like - explain to me what benefit I get from this again?
You seem to be suggesting that only the market knows what's best for people?

Have you ever bumped into the market?

I suppose you have. Red in tooth and claw, and all that crap?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 3:31 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You seem to be suggesting that only the market knows what's best for people?

Have you ever bumped into the market?
No, I didn't say that. I think as a general rule people know what's best for people. There is no 'market' as a noun - just individuals or groups trading goods and services.

dbd mentioned the BBC earlier - I've posted many times on this forum stating that north american tv is shit and that the BBC is the best broadcaster in the world. I'm actually surprised nobody has pulled me up on this; you see I'm a total selfish hypocrite like everyone else here

To respond to your edit: I am libertarian, but with a small l. There is a role for the state, healthcare and education are two obvious (to me) examples of where the state can and does do good. I don't expect the state to entertain me though - I should be doing that for myself.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 20th 2009 at 3:36 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:16 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Butch it does actually rain every now and again. We're not living in a friggin desert.

Besides they are only for the downtown beat cops.

You try walking around down town in one of our thunderstorms I'd rather have the Stetson than a flat cap, especially if there's hail mixed in.
Having been in a 'shower' in Portland recently, I'm quite prepared to brave the downtown core of Calgary in a thundrestorm
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:18 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
I'm working class centerist actually
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:19 am
Banned

Correct, and as Ann alluded to 'honour' the 'Heritage' of Calgary (at least thats what I heard)
Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Correct, and as Ann alluded to 'honour' the 'Heritage' of Calgary (at least thats what I heard)
I guess next year they'll be re-introducing the old Colt .45 six-shooter?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:22 am
Banned

I guess next year they'll be re-introducing the old Colt .45 six-shooter?
Along with the Silver Star and High Noon.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

So? Art is created by and appreciated by individual people. The costs of production should be met by those people who want to see it. I agree, that this means that the middle classes probably wouldn't get to appreciate the sort of art they like - but only cos they are collectively too selfish to fund it themselves. They'd rather get other people to pay.
There's more to art than what hangs on a living room wall. Our society is permeated by it.

You have chosen an avatar to put under your name to illustrate who you are. Was it your design? if not did you pay for it? If you didn't who did? When you chose the layout of you garden you would have been influenced by your general exposure to design an appreciation of shape and form.

The middle classes aren't the only people who appreciate art, but by removing state funding then you are reducing poorer peoples access to museums and galleries. In the UK I could visit the Galleries as often as I liked, not as often as my wallet allowed.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
There's more to art than what hangs on a living room wall. Our society is permeated by it.

You have chosen an avatar to put under your name to illustrate who you are. Was it your design? if not did you pay for it? If you didn't who did? When you chose the layout of you garden you would have been influenced by your general exposure to design an appreciation of shape and form.

The middle classes aren't the only people who appreciate art, but by removing state funding then you are reducing poorer peoples access to museums and galleries. In the UK I could visit the Galleries as often as I liked, not as often as my wallet allowed.
So then, what area of my life should the government not be interfering with? Why aren't monster trucks state funded?

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 20th 2009 at 3:55 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

So then, what area of my life should the government not be interfering with? Why aren't monster trucks state funded?
Do you seriously consider the funding of the arts by government to be interfering in your life?

Maybe because monster trucks are a money making venture, museums and galleries generally don't make a profit.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:14 pm

Do you seriously consider the funding of the arts by government to be interfering in your life?

Maybe because monster trucks are a money making venture, museums and galleries generally don't make a profit.
That's not an answer - and yes I do see state funding of anything to be interference as it's taking my work and giving it to others. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it's not.

Also - if monster trucks operated at a loss as only a few people went to see them should they be given a subsidy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.