Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

State Arts Funding

State Arts Funding

Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:45 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Arts Funding

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nothing wrong with corporate sponsorship of the arts.
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Nothing wrong with that. TD does an Atlantic Jazz festival I believe. RBC sponsors Olympians, etc,..
Did I say there was?

LV asked someone to mention Bailouts. In a cloaked manner that was exactly what I did.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/1...rty-banks.html

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Sep 20th 2009 at 1:50 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Christ. I've been at the movies for 2 hours (a movie sponsored by the Government of Alberta, among others). It wasn't all that good, but it was (apparently) worth funding.

Naturally, I didn't get in free, 'cos I live in Ontario.

Twats.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:57 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Christ. I've been at the movies for 2 hours (a movie sponsored by the Government of Alberta, among others). It wasn't all that good, but it was (apparently) worth funding.

Naturally, I didn't get in free, 'cos I live in Ontario.

Twats.
What was the movie? I may have to go see if I can get a free view.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
What was the movie? I may have to go see if I can get a free view.
Very droll. It was "Passchendaele" produced by and starring Paul Gross. Not one of his best efforts, but available still in a small theatre near here which is supported partially by public funding.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 20th 2009 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

Very droll. It was "Passchendaele" produced by and starring Paul Goss. Not one of his best efforts, but available still in a small theatre near here which is supported partially by public funding.
Ah yes heard extremely mixed reviews. See the funding of that has resulted in the need to 'close' 350 acute care beds.

MMMMM acute care beds vs Films and Stetsons for the rozzers? Yeah the city and province made the right choice again

(Now ask me again in a couple of years when I need that bed )
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:09 am
Born again atheist

Ah yes heard extremely mixed reviews. See the funding of that has resulted in the need to 'close' 350 acute care beds.

MMMMM acute care beds vs Films and Stetsons for the rozzers? Yeah the city and province made the right choice again

(Now ask me again in a couple of years when I need that bed )
Damn sight cheaper than a helicopter though.

You (or I, or anyone) can discuss funding priorities until we're all blue in the face. But that isn't really the main point here is it?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Damn sight cheaper than a helicopter though.

You (or I, or anyone) can discuss funding priorities until we're all blue in the face. But that isn't really the main point here is it?
No the point is (and I think you and dbd and FM will agree) there has to be some form of State Funding for the Arts or we are in danger of American Idol being the Legacy we leave our great grand kids.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Now, you see, I enjoyed that film Passchendaele (and any excuse to watch Paul Gross is welcomed ) - and I suppose the subject is "worthy", as in it's a little told part of history perhaps.

I don't know if I agree it should be publicly funded project though - he's wanted to get that story on film for about 10 years I believe. I presume the regular movie houses were not willing to fund it for a variety of reasons (ie, profits) because they did not see it as a money spinner.

And to be fair, it hasn't been a money spinner (yet). But I still think it's a worthy film to make. Alberta (in the government funding sense) obviously wanted a stake in telling a little part of it's history/story. It wouldn't have been an expensive film to make compared to a Pixar animation, or a special effects blockbuster but would no doubt still have needed many millions.

I don't know where I stand. A few years down the line, the film is someone's version and record of a piece of history. If Paul Gross came up to me and asked for $20 to donate to his latest project, I wouldn't deny him ( ). If a complete unknown then came up to me to ask for my tax dollars for some other "Arts" project, I'd be cynical and ungiving. It's a good job I don't have to make these decisions, eh? Someone else makes them for me.

Gone round in a big circle.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:18 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

No the point is (and I think you and dbd and FM will agree) there has to be some form of State Funding for the Arts or we are in danger of American Idol being the Legacy we leave our great grand kids.
As mocked in the movie Idiocracy!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:25 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

(I still maintain that the spend on stetsons is NOT necessary though )
Valid or not, one of the reasons given for the Stetsons is that it keeps the rain from running down the backs of their necks.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Valid or not, one of the reasons given for the Stetsons is that it keeps the rain from running down the backs of their necks.
Shoot thats a totally Valid Reason, given we're in f'in CALGARY not Vancouver
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:29 am
Born again atheist

That's certainly part of it.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:32 am

Shoot thats a totally Valid Reason, given we're in f'in CALGARY not Vancouver
Come on Butch it does actually rain every now and again. We're not living in a friggin desert.

Besides they are only for the downtown beat cops.

You try walking around down town in one of our thunderstorms I'd rather have the Stetson than a flat cap, especially if there's hail mixed in.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Why do cowboys wear stetsons? Seriously?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by ann m
Why do cowboys wear stetsons? Seriously?
See my comments above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.