Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Starview - do they work in Canada?

Starview - do they work in Canada?

Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Starview - do they work in Canada?

Does any one own a starview box or something similar (see link), and does it work in Canada?

http://www.digi-force.co.uk/?gclid=C...Fc0a3godbG6iCQ

I had one for NTL and they are superb, but do not know if they will work abroad though.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:36 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starview - do they work in Canada?

From the link these seem to be cable boxes? By bringing one over do you somehow expect to get UK cable tv or is it a case of hooking one up to a Canadian cable TV provider? In any case the answer is most likely no. Cable boxes can be bought/rented here readily enough.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:09 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
From the link these seem to be cable boxes? .
They're a bit more dodgy than that - they basically let you get all cable channels with no or minimal cable subscription..... i.e. highly illegal...

I've heard of people getting hooky US satellite in Canada - lot of shops around here offering that, but I've not heard anything about cable.... Wouldn't fancy getting deported myself...
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by G77
They're a bit more dodgy than that - they basically let you get all cable channels with no or minimal cable subscription..... i.e. highly illegal...

I've heard of people getting hooky US satellite in Canada - lot of shops around here offering that, but I've not heard anything about cable.... Wouldn't fancy getting deported myself...
They are impossible to detect, er so I am told.....as the boxes only receive signals and they do not bounce back signals to the Cable provides, so if you connected it to a minimum subscription cable box with a splitter, it is undetectable, ....alledgedly
Old Dec 26th 2008, 5:08 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
They are impossible to detect, er so I am told.....as the boxes only receive signals and they do not bounce back signals to the Cable provides, so if you connected it to a minimum subscription cable box with a splitter, it is undetectable, ....alledgedly
Yea, allegedly, but cable boxes are definitely two way comms, because you can select PPV or on demand programs etc. Satellite TV on the other hand is definitely one way for obvious reasons and from what I've seen is more popular as an illicit source of TV - you'll probably see various satellite shops when you arrive - that'd be where I'd start..
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy them here. I've seen them in shops in downtown Toronto advertised for as little as $75.

Some people I know have them as well.
Best advice is to hook it up to an existing satellite connection, allegedly, but keep a basic package with your provider so if anyone comes knocking...

Apparently though, Bell have just changed something on their signal which is going to take some time to crack so one of my friends' boxes has not worked for the last few weeks.

If you were asking if you could bring your existing box over and use it here, well, to be honest - that I don't know - but they don't cost too much to buy here and as long as you know what you're doing to install it, I wouldn't bother. (Bringing yours over I mean).
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

You can use your Starview box in Canada for cable tv, but you will not be able to see any encrypted channels - which may be all of them! I don't know how many channels are "free to air" on cable in Canada.

abaddon