Reload this Page >

Starting school

Starting school

Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

claire blackburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting school

Hiya

I'm new to this so please bear with me. We are hoping to move to Toronto for September 2009 as I have been offered a place at a college there - application goes into immigration next week. Our daughter was 5 in October 2008 and has almost completed her reception year at a UK school. From the information I have read she will not be able to start elementary school until the September of her sixth year, which I understand means that she will not continue her school education in Canada in September 2009. Could anyone please advise me on how and where she will be educated? We are obviously concerned that she does not lose the progress she has made this year in her reading and writing.

Claire
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: Starting school

Hi Claire

I can't speak with regards to Toronto, but we moved to Nova Scotia when my daughter was 4. She had already completed a year at playschool and a year at nursery (attached to the primary school) and would have started reception year, the month we left.

Once out here, she had to go back to 'pre-school' which is what we would recognise as playschool.

She was allowed to start in Elementary school (grade primary) in September 2008 - she was 5 in June of last year.

It is my understanding that a child can start in grade primary in September as long as they are 5 before the end of December of that same year.

Generally speaking though, the schools are a year behind those in the UK- so you may want to keep her reading and writing up at home.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Hi Claire

I can't speak with regards to Toronto, but we moved to Nova Scotia when my daughter was 4. She had already completed a year at playschool and a year at nursery (attached to the primary school) and would have started reception year, the month we left.

Once out here, she had to go back to 'pre-school' which is what we would recognise as playschool.

She was allowed to start in Elementary school (grade primary) in September 2008 - she was 5 in June of last year.

It is my understanding that a child can start in grade primary in September as long as they are 5 before the end of December of that same year.

Generally speaking though, the schools are a year behind those in the UK- so you may want to keep her reading and writing up at home.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that. Fingers crossed that as she will be six in October 2009 they will accept her this year.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

I understand your concerns - we have 3 children and it was our 4 year old we were the most concerned about. Having to drop back a year has had an effect on her reading/writing, it did slip a bit, but she's picked it back up so much quicker than her peers - she is doing fine.

Even if academically it's a bit of a 'blip', she'll easily overcome that and I found that by dropping a year actually helped my daughter settle in with the lifestyle/friends side of things.

Don't worry - kids are much more adaptable than we usually give them credit! Good luck to you in your travels xx
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless its an academic post and I'm assuming its not, why not go to university in the UK and not uproot your child at such a critical age. I know from my work in the education system here and in the US that in general the expectation to read is much later, so consequently the curriculum is geared to that. Just a thought.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire blackburn
Hiya

......We are hoping to move to Toronto for September 2009 as I have been offered a place at a college there - application goes into immigration next week. ......... I understand means that she will not continue her school education in Canada in September 2009......... We are obviously concerned that she does not lose the progress she has made this year in her reading and writing.

Claire
Claire - Don't worry about a thing as far as your daughters' education, in Canada schooling is "delayed" here so they go to school for the same number of years (or more). They don't start until they are 6 but are still at school at 18yrs. It's just the way it is.
Unless your staying for only a short time you should find little 'un will settle in better than you!!!

But we think you might be a little out of touch to expect to be approved for immigration in 5 months - It took us 3 years. Maybe an education visa is fast tracked in some way and perhaps we know nothing about that.

So whatever the time line - We wish you all the very best...... Go for it !!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Claire - Don't worry about a thing as far as your daughters' education, in Canada schooling is "delayed" here so they go to school for the same number of years (or more). They don't start until they are 6 but are still at school at 18yrs. It's just the way it is.
Unless your staying for only a short time you should find little 'un will settle in better than you!!!

But we think you might be a little out of touch to expect to be approved for immigration in 5 months - It took us 3 years. Maybe an education visa is fast tracked in some way and perhaps we know nothing about that.

So whatever the time line - We wish you all the very best...... Go for it !!
Thank you for replying to my question. I'm sure she will settle in well and enjoy her new life in canada. I am applying to come over to canada on a study permit for two years which will allow my partner to come over on an open work visa. We have been advised by our relocators based in canada and the canadian immigration website that the process should take around 4-6 weeks. I am not allowed to work for first 6 months and then only 20 hours for balance of course and obviously there are course fees to pay as well. So although this is a quicker route to get us into canada it has its restrictions as well.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

What are you studying? And how much are the fees? Is this another route in?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Hi Claire

Hope that helps.
Hi There
Whilst your on the subject of schools can anyone give me some advice. We are hoping to settle in the region of cape breton island, Nova Scotia. My kids at the mo are 6 and 3 and schools are my biggest worry , not knowing if a school has a good or bad reputation. Are there inspection reports like OFSTED? Any other advice would be appreciated around this subject and how things differ over there.
Thanks a lot
Justie
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justie
Hi There
Whilst your on the subject of schools can anyone give me some advice. We are hoping to settle in the region of cape breton island, Nova Scotia. My kids at the mo are 6 and 3 and schools are my biggest worry , not knowing if a school has a good or bad reputation. Are there inspection reports like OFSTED? Any other advice would be appreciated around this subject and how things differ over there.
Thanks a lot
Justie
There are no comparative reports for schools but are there really enough schools in Cape Breton that you can compare them?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are no comparative reports for schools but are there really enough schools in Cape Breton that you can compare them?
there must be performance tables.... i hope. No inspections! Thats a bit worrying and yes cape breton island is a big place when you have the choice where to live, we wouldnt live in the highlands, and the elementary schools web sites i have browsed are alot bigger than our local primary school. I suppose it is the fear of the unknown, i know where the good and bad schools of staffordshire are. It was a bit of a shock discovering they finish at 2.30!!!
Thank you for your comment
Justie
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justie
there must be performance tables.... i hope.
Not really. There is a right wing think tank, the Fraser Institute, that produces some school comparison tables but they're interested in promoting a political position, they're not a government body nor an objective one. You pretty much have to choose by gossip.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kate holt
What are you studying? And how much are the fees? Is this another route in?
I will be studying a two year Social Service Worker Diploma, I already work in this field in the UK. The fees are $11470 for the two years which equates to around £6500. It is definately a route to explore but like I said in previous thread there are some restrictions - not able to work for first 6 months then only 20 hours a week for balance of course.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Hi Claire

If your daughter turns 6 in October, she will start Grade 1 in September. Her Reception year will have given her a good grounding in reading and writing for starting Grade 1 and she may be a little ahead of her peers for a few months but it will all even out during the course of the year. I personally think it's a great age to move kids as lots of kids are all starting Grade 1 together so they don't stand out as being new.

Chris
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Hi Claire

all starting Grade 1 together so they don't stand out as being new.

Chris
Just our little ditty - We have found that being "new" isn't a problem for the kids...... Kids are kids and they intergrate alot quicker than us oldies, we have not had a single whisper of an issue for our daughter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.