starting out

Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

nodrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting out

sorry if this question has been asked alot .we have sold our house and have about 300,000 sterling behind us.im a carpenter my wife retail is it possible to go over on a visitors visa find work and then apply for PR while we are there ,simply i dont realy want to put my our life on hold applying over uk ,im 45yrs old my wife 40 yrs thanks for any response.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting out

Originally Posted by nodrog
is it possible to go over on a visitors visa find work and then apply for PR while we are there
Not legally. PR takes too long, and you would have to keep extending your visitor status every 6 months until in probability they would eventually twig that you were not in fact "regular" visitors, at which point you would be booted out, which would have a negative impact on your PR application.

You could not work legally without either PR or a temp work permit, and you cant get a temp work permit while a visitor in Canada.

I suppose in theory you could come as a visitor, find an employer willing to go through the hoops to get you a work permit, and then come that way and apply for PR while on the work permit, but i suspect that as a carpenter it will be very hard for any employer to get the HRDC clearance saying they couldnt find a carpenter in canada. Who knows though, maybe its been done in the skilled trades? Lots of work permits are issued every year, amybe some are for carpenters.

Im no lawyer though, so see what andrew miller, PMM and the real experts in the canadian immigration area think, but I suspect the answer is wait like everyone else has to. Nothing says you have to put your life on hold anyway, its all a state of mind. Its tough not to think about it though, and the danger is you spend all your time waiting for the day the PP request comes, and in the mean time forget what real life is all about.

PNP is probably your best bet, if you dont want to end up in Ontario which has no PNP provision.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 26th 2005 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:59 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nodrog
sorry if this question has been asked alot .we have sold our house and have about 300,000 sterling behind us.im a carpenter my wife retail is it possible to go over on a visitors visa find work and then apply for PR while we are there ,simply i dont realy want to put my our life on hold applying over uk ,im 45yrs old my wife 40 yrs thanks for any response.
Hi
My husband is also a carpenter and we have applied through the nominee program. We stayed in Canada for 4months and while there contacted the immigration officer for the provence.......went for an interview with them and got accepted by the provence.
We then returned to the uk waited for the letter of acceptance .sent off the paperwork to London including letter from provence and within 5 months we had a relpy and went for our medicals today.
Seems a faster system when i read how long some people have to wait.
If you need any other info please get in touch. Vi and Ross.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Hi
My husband is also a carpenter and we have applied through the nominee program. We stayed in Canada for 4months and while there contacted the immigration officer for the provence.......went for an interview with them and got accepted by the provence.
We then returned to the uk waited for the letter of acceptance .sent off the paperwork to London including letter from provence and within 5 months we had a relpy and went for our medicals today.
Seems a faster system when i read how long some people have to wait.
If you need any other info please get in touch. Vi and Ross.
Congrats on it all working out so far, which province have you gone for?