Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Starting again in Calgary (Airdrie, actually) looking for suggestions!

Starting again in Calgary (Airdrie, actually) looking for suggestions!

Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Cinders67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starting again in Calgary (Airdrie, actually) looking for suggestions!

Hi all, thanks so much for your advice. Well, I had a big house clearance sale this weekend, and sold nearly everything! It was hard to do, but now I feel somewhat relieved! Two weeks today and I'll be in Airdrie!!! Thanks again.=
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Sarahanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starting again in Calgary (Airdrie, actually) looking for suggestions!

Originally Posted by Cinders67
Hi all, thanks so much for your advice. Well, I had a big house clearance sale this weekend, and sold nearly everything! It was hard to do, but now I feel somewhat relieved! Two weeks today and I'll be in Airdrie!!! Thanks again.=
I go to Airdrie all the time, if you fancy a coffee give me a shout!!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sarahanne
I go to Airdrie all the time, if you fancy a coffee give me a shout!!
I will. I arrive on August 14th - eek!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Hi Cinders

We have lived in Airdrie for 3yrs (on August 29th). We love it.

We rented a duplex in Luxstone for a yr and then bought our own house. We have a 14yr old girl and she's settled in really well. The school she attended (she's going to High School this yr) was much better than the schools she attended in England. Both Hubby and I have good jobs that we're very happy in.

Good luck, hope all goes to plan for you.

Karen
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KAT16
Hi Cinders

We have lived in Airdrie for 3yrs (on August 29th). We love it.

We rented a duplex in Luxstone for a yr and then bought our own house. We have a 14yr old girl and she's settled in really well. The school she attended (she's going to High School this yr) was much better than the schools she attended in England. Both Hubby and I have good jobs that we're very happy in.

Good luck, hope all goes to plan for you.

Karen
That's just what I needed to hear! I'm moving to Prairie Springs (with my parents, and my brother lives there too). I am hoping to get a job with the school board. I completed my teacher training in the UK (primary) and have to upgrade with some uni courses to get my teaching qualifications up to scratch, so I'll try and get a school support post in the meantime. I have a son who's eleven and a daughter who's ten, and they'll be going to Muriel Clayton Middle school. Much bigger than their current village school! I'm pm you when I get settled and we'll go out for a coffee!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Oh thats so exciting.

My daughter went to Muriel Clayton. They helped her so much. She's going to George Macdougall in September.

We live in Morningside so not far from where you'll be. We shipped most of our stuff, cost us 3,500 for a 20ft container. Everything arrived safely within 6 weeks, only 1 glass broken. As others have said it would cost alot more to replace everything, but as you're staying with family you can buy stuff gradually. We rented a brand new, 3bed, 2.5bath, duplex in Luxstone from England (had a friend check it out first) that we found on rentfaster.ca. Paid 1250 dollars a month for it.

I've seen quite a few not nice comments from people on here about Airdrie, but we've loved it from the minute we got here. It's got everything we need without having to go into Calgary (which by the way I love too, just didn't want to live there).

Have a safe trip and we'll see you here.

Karen
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Try freecycle Calgary, Kijiji as others have mentioned, we also have IKEA and various discount furniture stores but it will depend on your taste and how much you are willing to compromise in the short term. There are lots of garage sales here with people moving as well - just look for the signs around the city.

good luck with your move
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Cinders. We are renting in Coopers Crossing, just across the road from Prairie Springs.

We have been here since February and love Airdrie and sure you will too. Everyone is so friendly, the schools are great and our three kids, 7, 9 and 17 are really happy here. Plus the weather is gorgeous right now.

Good Luck with your move and hope everything goes to plan. Any questions then PM me, I would be happy to help if I can.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hi Cinders. We are renting in Coopers Crossing, just across the road from Prairie Springs.

We have been here since February and love Airdrie and sure you will too. Everyone is so friendly, the schools are great and our three kids, 7, 9 and 17 are really happy here. Plus the weather is gorgeous right now.

Good Luck with your move and hope everything goes to plan. Any questions then PM me, I would be happy to help if I can.
thanks! I'll get in touch once I arrive!