Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship questions

Sponsorship questions

Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:35 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Question Sponsorship questions

Greetings to you all.

A new user here. I am a Scot and currently live in Johannesburg in South Africa (23 years now), with my South African wife. We are very concerned regarding the future of South Africa and feel that the current racial climate towards white folk here is increasing to a dramatic scale. With the recent birth of our fist child is has changed our perspective to the local situation and are therefore we are looking at our options in other countries.

My brother who is a Canadian citizen & immigrated there 25 years ago has offered to sponsor us to relocate to Canada. Reading some information of the Canadian immigration sites it seems that my brother can sponsor a brother / sister, only if they are under 18 years of age. Does anyone have knowledge in such areas of sponsorship immigration?

The other question is regarding job-hunting as a prospect to beef-up the immigration application. I know that it used to be the case that a Canadian job vacancy offered to a non-Canadian citizen had to be advertised for a period of six months and if no Canadian citizen took the position it could be offered to the applicant outside Canada. Does anyone have experience in these areas?

Both my wife & I are entrepreneurs and run our own small businesses but not to the extent that we gross CD $ 800 K as required to immigrate as a small business entrepreneur/s.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read / reply to this topic

Regards

Campbell.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Sorry to disapoint you but there is no chance your brother can sponsor you. The criterea are even more strict than you stated. For your brother to sponsor you you would have to be not only under 18 and unmarried but also an orphan.

The only other way he could manage it is if you were his only living relative. So he would have to have no family in Canada, no spouse or child and no other relatives in the world.

Your two main options seem to be either the skilled worker class if you can get enough points (you will get a 5 point bonus for haivng a brother in Canada by the way), or to try and find a job first and get a work permit.

You are correct that the employer must satusfy Human Resource DEvelopment Canada (HRDC) that there is no suitable Canadian for the job etc and it can be quite tricky.

How many points do you get if you take the online assessment at www.cic.gc.ca ?

Drew