British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Sponsoring my husband (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/sponsoring-my-husband-266456/)

Fiona Shearer Nov 14th 2004 7:12 pm

Sponsoring my husband

i'm hoping that somebody out there can answer a few questions that have arisen while filling out our forms - me as sponsor and a canadian citizen (born and bred) - my husband (scottish) as principal applicant. both of us living in scotland.

1. on the sponsorship evaluation form it asks for my personal net income for the 12 month period preceding the date of application. i have just recently started a new job (august 2004) and didn't work before that since august 2002. i take it that i would enter, where it says 'amount', the amount i have made since august 2004 - which is obviously not a lot. is that a problem?

2. on the sponsor questionnaire form it asks for proof of your intention to re-establish in canada. as neither of us has a job to go to or a house i am confused as to what i should put in the 'other' category. would it help if i said we were going to be staying at my parents house until we found work and a place to live?

3. on the sponsored spouse questionnaire it asks if my husband has any family members or other relatives living in canada. his mother and father-in-law (my parents) live there. would the answer be yes or no as i am not sure if in-laws count?

4. and finally on the document checklist (for sponsor) it asks for an 'option C printout' but because i have not worked in canada for the past 7 years i can't provide this. it asks for an explanation if this printout is not provided - any suggestions? i don't know what they are looking for.

i hope someone can give some input. i will be forever greatful! thanks so much. Fiona :)

Toontje Nov 14th 2004 7:23 pm

Re: Sponsoring my husband

I was going to tell you that you'd better ask that question in the Immigration Forum, but I saw that you had already found that one. That's where the experts on those matters are. You'll certainly not find them here.

Good luck with your application.

Fiona Shearer Nov 14th 2004 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
I was going to tell you that you'd better ask that question in the Immigration Forum, but I saw that you had already found that one. That's where the experts on those matters are. You'll certainly not find them here.

Good luck with your application.

thanks... :D

Velouria Nov 14th 2004 9:24 pm

Hi Fiona

I was in pretty much the same situation as you. Hope this answers your questions:

Originally Posted by Fiona Shearer
1. on the sponsorship evaluation form it asks for my personal net income for the 12 month period preceding the date of application. i have just recently started a new job (august 2004) and didn't work before that since august 2002. i take it that i would enter, where it says 'amount', the amount i have made since august 2004 - which is obviously not a lot. is that a problem?

im not sure what you mean (unless the forms have changed in the last year) the sponsorship form i filled out just asked if i was employed and what my annual income was. the forms are geared towards sponsors who reside in canada, so some it may seem a bit perplexing at times.

2. on the sponsor questionnaire form it asks for proof of your intention to re-establish in canada. as neither of us has a job to go to or a house i am confused as to what i should put in the 'other' category. would it help if i said we were going to be staying at my parents house until we found work and a place to live?

Thats exactly what we did. we stayed with my parents in montreal for a couple of weeks.

3. on the sponsored spouse questionnaire it asks if my husband has any family members or other relatives living in canada. his mother and father-in-law (my parents) live there. would the answer be yes or no as i am not sure if in-laws count?

i dont think in-laws do count and as i remember, i didnt put down my parents for my husband.

4. and finally on the document checklist (for sponsor) it asks for an 'option C printout' but because i have not worked in canada for the past 7 years i can't provide this. it asks for an explanation if this printout is not provided - any suggestions? i don't know what they are looking for.

explain on a seperate sheet of paper that you havent worked in canada for the past seven years. i also had to do the same

i hope someone can give some input. i will be forever greatful! thanks so much. Fiona :)

hope this helps, if you have any other general questions, feel free to PM me

:)

Sean Boxer Nov 15th 2004 1:41 am

Just write a covering note. We had issues like this when we applied from Hong Kong, so we called the Immigration Department in Canada. They we're really helpful and laid back, told us not to worry as cases like ours are pretty much 'open and shut'.

-------------

Again, we wrote a cover note, something like 'we haven't quit our current jobs yet as we want to keep working until the immigration is approved, we will then send you copies of our plane tickets and resignation letter'.

-------------

We answered No to that one as it was understood my wife's parent were there.

-------------

Just say you haven't got one of those because you've been away from Canada. My wife was out of Canada for 10 years.

-------------

Seriously, don't worry as the Immigration Department are very helpful and understanding. They did send back the forms once as we had left something out but that was our fault.

Good luck

Sean

Fiona Shearer Nov 15th 2004 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Velouria
Hi Fiona

I was in pretty much the same situation as you. Hope this answers your questions:

im not sure what you mean (unless the forms have changed in the last year) the sponsorship form i filled out just asked if i was employed and what my annual income was. the forms are geared towards sponsors who reside in canada, so some it may seem a bit perplexing at times.

Thats exactly what we did. we stayed with my parents in montreal for a couple of weeks.

i dont think in-laws do count and as i remember, i didnt put down my parents for my husband.

explain on a seperate sheet of paper that you havent worked in canada for the past seven years. i also had to do the same

hope this helps, if you have any other general questions, feel free to PM me

:)

this does help thanks... sometimes you just need it said in a different way to get your head around it.

Fiona Shearer Nov 15th 2004 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer

Just write a covering note. We had issues like this when we applied from Hong Kong, so we called the Immigration Department in Canada. They we're really helpful and laid back, told us not to worry as cases like ours are pretty much 'open and shut'.

-------------

Again, we wrote a cover note, something like 'we haven't quit our current jobs yet as we want to keep working until the immigration is approved, we will then send you copies of our plane tickets and resignation letter'.

-------------

We answered No to that one as it was understood my wife's parent were there.

-------------

Just say you haven't got one of those because you've been away from Canada. My wife was out of Canada for 10 years.

-------------

Seriously, don't worry as the Immigration Department are very helpful and understanding. They did send back the forms once as we had left something out but that was our fault.

Good luck

Sean

thanks sean! originally we were considering going with a consultant and after a disasterous meeting we decided that we would do it ourselves. i think the consultant had put a few fears in us as he was saying that the immigration department would be of no help and if our forms were returned that was it - no explanation or anything. it is reassuring to hear that they are helpful if needed. thanks again!

Velouria Nov 15th 2004 4:31 pm

thanks sean! originally we were considering going with a consultant and after a disasterous meeting we decided that we would do it ourselves. i think the consultant had put a few fears in us as he was saying that the immigration department would be of no help and if our forms were returned that was it - no explanation or anything. it is reassuring to hear that they are helpful if needed. thanks again!

we used an immigration consultant even though the case was pretty cut and dry. i had the same fears as you - now i think i could have saved myself anice little bundle! ah well - lesson learned!

Sean Boxer Nov 15th 2004 9:09 pm

thanks sean! it is reassuring to hear that they are helpful if needed. thanks again!

Just to make it clear Fiona, it was the Immigration Dept IN Canada that was helpful. The one in Hong Kong was awful, they wouldn't even accept phone calls, we were told to fax our question and expect a reply within 21 days.
So we just called Canada direct.

Rhodes Nov 15th 2004 9:24 pm

I faxed a couple of questions to the Canadian High Commission in London and got back a photocopied standard letter saying simply:

"Unfortunately we do not have the resources to counsel you on the completion of either the sponsorship or the applicant's forms.

"Please complete these to the best of your ability and include a covering letter explaining any special circumstances"
Not that helpful, really, but there really shouldn't be any need for a lawyer or consultant. Just ask those of us here who lived the same process for some time, and we'll advise you for free!