Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

spitting feathers with ICBC

Wikiposts

spitting feathers with ICBC

Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:48 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spitting feathers with ICBC

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've never understood the rules or criteria for this. My local convenience store that's part of a gas station sells pretty much all basic foodstuffs, confectionary, candy, soft drinks, wine, hard liquor, beer, fishing licences, propane, magazines, cigarettes, you name it, it's all there. And yet, a large supermarket apparently can't operate under the same business model
Consider yourself lucky, we have two choices for beer in Ontario.... The Beer Store and LCBO - that's it....
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Consider yourself lucky, we have two choices for beer in Ontario.... The Beer Store and LCBO - that's it....
In cities. The gas station near us is an agent for both the LCBO and the Beer Store.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
A free market may drive more efficiency into the system, but let's remember that motor insurance is made compulsory for the sole reason of spreading the cost of road carnage across all road users. The road transport network functions because drivers don't have to face the full financial consequences of their failures.
The flaw in that argument being that very few drivers could cover the cost of a serious accident and, of those who could, even fewer live in Canada.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:02 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
The flaw in that argument being that very few drivers could cover the cost of a serious accident and, of those who could, even fewer live in Canada.
Exactly my point. That's why government forces the rest of us to contribute large sums. The private motor vehicle fleet could not function otherwise, and economies would grind to a halt.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never understood the rules or criteria for this. My local convenience store that's part of a gas station sells pretty much all basic foodstuffs, confectionary, candy, soft drinks, wine, hard liquor, beer, fishing licences, propane, magazines, cigarettes, you name it, it's all there. And yet, a large supermarket apparently can't operate under the same business model
At least your convenience store can sell liquor and beer, not so in Alberta as far as I know must be a dedicated liquor, beer or wine store or any combination of those three but no gasoline, food, soft drinks or candy etc allowed.

Is the large supermarket forced to operate under the same rule as in Alberta? The liquor store must be in a separate building. Like who thought up that stupid rule?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Exactly my point. That's why government forces the rest of us to contribute large sums. The private motor vehicle fleet could not function otherwise, and economies would grind to a halt.
It is ok for the state to mandate a minimum level insurance, but it shouldn't be providing it - or at least private insurers should be allowed to compete.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
At least your convenience store can sell liquor and beer, not so in Alberta as far as I know must be a dedicated liquor, beer or wine store or any combination of those three but no gasoline, food, soft drinks or candy etc allowed.

Is the large supermarket forced to operate under the same rule as in Alberta? The liquor store must be in a separate building. Like who thought up that stupid rule?
Not sure if we have that rule or not in BC - but the local safeway has a liquor store like that and it doesn't really make any sense. What exactly are these rules protecting us from?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You got that right - and why can't I have a beer on the beach! ... ok that's well off-topic.

if you smile nicely and are not paralytic and as you said in a later post , DISCRETE< they dont seem to mind on English Bay! Also prob as I am not 19!!

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Word. And why can't I buy a beer at the supermarket..or a cellphone with a $20 card for calls, for that matter, instead of being locked into a stupid expensive 3 year plan...and why can't I take my kid into a pub...do they really think I'm going to buy her a vodka & tonic?...bah.

I know you - you would stick a gin in her cup!!

Anyway...this thread is making me even more glad we don't have a car Yay for the car co-op
I like the coop too!
thats soo not fair!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:05 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

We managed to get all our insurance letters from the Uk with relative ease. To be honest the Uk were great it was ICBC that were the problem. I got the letters before we left the UK as i had been warned beforehand. I sent the letters to ICBC and they refused them I phoned and asked why they said the wording was wrong and told me which bit - i got in contact with the insurers in the Uk and they sent new ones - forwarded to ICBC at a cost of $40 through an autoplan broker. They got refused again wording not righ ( further down the letter) I was furious as it seemed they had only read the first half and as soon as they hit a problem sent it back - I phoned and asked them to check the WHOLE letter and plz tell me which bits needed to be changed. They did this and I managed to get athird letter from the insurers in the Uk who again sent these right away.
I eventually got the NCB approved and it did make quite a difference to my insuarance. They actaully have a template letter on the ICBC website which they directed me to AFTER it was completed ( great help) so its worth copying it to the insurers in the Uk and just get them to fill inthe blanks.
Its worth it on principle lol
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

if you smile nicely and are not paralytic and as you said in a later post , DISCRETE< they dont seem to mind on English Bay! Also prob as I am not 19!!
Don't count on it. In B.C., you are not allowed to drink alcohol in a public place—such as a street or a park—unless it has been specially approved as a place where drinking may occur (during a community festival, for example). You may drink alcohol outside at your home or at your campsite.

Police powers

The police may arrest you if you are found intoxicated (drunk) in a public place.

They may also seize your liquor if you are found drinking or selling it in a public place, supplying it to minors, or driving with an open liquor bottle in the car.

Liquor in a motor vehicle

Open liquor in a motor vehicle must not be readily accessible to anyone in the motor vehicle (stored behind the seat, in the trunk, etc.). Passengers are not permitted to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Don't count on it. In B.C., you are not allowed to drink alcohol in a public place—such as a street or a park—unless it has been specially approved as a place where drinking may occur (during a community festival, for example). You may drink alcohol outside at your home or at your campsite.

Police powers

The police may arrest you if you are found intoxicated (drunk) in a public place.

They may also seize your liquor if you are found drinking or selling it in a public place, supplying it to minors, or driving with an open liquor bottle in the car.

FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Liquor in a motor vehicle

Open liquor in a motor vehicle must not be readily accessible to anyone in the motor vehicle (stored behind the seat, in the trunk, etc.). Passengers are not permitted to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle.
[/FONT]
I know - but last time on English Bay the cops came up to us (a group of 40 plus yr olds and various kids) and were suprised we had no alcohol - they came up to say - its ok be discrete - we had been too scared to bring any!!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I know - but last time on English Bay the cops came up to us (a group of 40 plus yr olds and various kids) and were suprised we had no alcohol - they came up to say - its ok be discrete - we had been too scared to bring any!!
It shouldn't be up to the whim of the police in the first place. You don't want to rely on the copper being in a good mood - it should just be legal.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:00 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It shouldn't be up to the whim of the police in the first place. You don't want to rely on the copper being in a good mood - it should just be legal.
Thats why we didnt have any alcohol with us - felt v odd!! We didnt want to meet the police man that wasnt going to turn a blind eye!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:26 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe
Hi all
Is it me or is ICBC the worst most expensive nonsense of car insurance in Canada. I have been here in Vancouver for just over 14 months and everytime I have to deal with ICBC it brings a tide of revulsion in me.
I can't believe coming from the UK and Australia how audacious a company can be in ripping people off. Its a real smack in the face when people get here to realise the price we have to pay for a vehicle. Does anyone remember England with the perpetual car insurance adverts on tv and the internet comparison sights. I did a comparison on my car which is a 10 year old Range Rover. In England $600 for the year........Here $4800 for the year ....Thats crazy and ICBC will not recognize the 11 year no claims I have and the fact that I drove fire engines back in the UK even though they suggest it is a simple process of producing your old insurance documents they have to be written in a format that ICBC commands and UK insurers struggle to provide so this just gives them the excuse to hike up your premium
Its such a shame as I feel this company is a boil on the back of what is a beautiful province. I love and feel very privileged in living here but really do not like the bad apple companies like ICBC that taint my experience in paradise

Dont talk to me about those idiots. Some ******* hit my motor in a car park and buggered off. I touched up parts of the damage and went to ICBC for a free quote on the damage. I had to explain to the copper 4 times i wasnt here claiming i just wanted the quote. He actually accused me of lying and touching up the paintwork even though i had told him 4 times that i had indeed done this and i wasnt claiming. I drove off somehow without telling him what a complete twat he was. It was like Laurel and Hardy.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

RayS is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tanah
. They actaully have a template letter on the ICBC website which they directed me to AFTER it was completed ( great help) so its worth copying it to the insurers in the Uk and just get them to fill inthe blanks.
Its worth it on principle lol
Do you have a link to this template please as I couldn't find it?
Cheers
Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.