Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket

Speeding Ticket

Old May 3rd 2011, 10:54 pm
roots

roots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding Ticket

Hi,

Got a speeding ticket for doing 20 over the limit. I have to appear in court. Do I plead gulity or how does the system work? Never every had this sort of an experience here or back home. How does it affect my insurance?

Cheers
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speeding Ticket

Originally Posted by roots
Hi,

Got a speeding ticket for doing 20 over the limit. I have to appear in court. Do I plead gulity or how does the system work? Never every had this sort of an experience here or back home. How does it affect my insurance?

Cheers
Why do you have to appear in court? Can't you just pay the fine?

There's usually instructions on the ticket somewhere telling how you go about paying.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:22 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Tha last one I got the copper told me to go to court and plead guilty where he wouldn't contest it. They then dropped the fine and I got away with $65 and no points. I also got stopped doing 135 in an 80 where the copper gave me a ticket for $50. Depends on the copper really. other times I've been stopped and they've been like the gestapo. You have to be lucky. I've been told never to pay but to go to court and don't accept the first date they give you. Tell them you can't make the first date for whatever reason and then go on the second date. If the cop doesn't turn up they "apparently" throw the cases out. Not too sure about this though. I also read if you pay a fine by cheque, make out the amount for more than the ticket is worth e.g for a $50 fine pay them $55. Then they have to reimburse you the difference but their system doesn't allow it so they quash it. Not too sure about this either.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Tha last one I got the copper told me to go to court and plead guilty where he wouldn't contest it. They then dropped the fine and I got away with $65 and no points. I also got stopped doing 135 in an 80 where the copper gave me a ticket for $50. Depends on the copper really. other times I've been stopped and they've been like the gestapo. You have to be lucky. I've been told never to pay but to go to court and don't accept the first date they give you. Tell them you can't make the first date for whatever reason and then go on the second date. If the cop doesn't turn up they "apparently" throw the cases out. Not too sure about this though. I also read if you pay a fine by cheque, make out the amount for more than the ticket is worth e.g for a $50 fine pay them $55. Then they have to reimburse you the difference but their system doesn't allow it so they quash it. Not too sure about this either.
You ought to be banned.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:07 am

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
You ought to be banned.

I have since seen the error of my ways and now drive everywhere with the cruise on.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
You ought to be banned.
In BC he would be. They've got this 40kph over the limit = 1 week ban rule. Consequently I now only drive 39kph over the limit.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:31 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

BTW if you didn't know (which I didn't) photo radar vehicles now have video capability. I have a video of me turning right on red without coming to a complete halt. $285 fine. The truck looks great in the video though! I'll remember to stop on red next time I see a photo radar van.
Old May 5th 2011, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I would argue that the Police are icompetent and inconsistent

Yesterday on the 401 near Cardinal idiot in a Cadillac was tailgating the car in front and flashing lights, generally being aggressive, I thought to myself if only there was a copper when you need one - wonders never cease an OPP chelsea tractor comes up behind him - I thought great - he is about to get pulled - what does the copper do??? TAILGATES the Cadillac

MORON!!!!!!! :curse:
Old May 6th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I never heard of having to appear in court but wait to you hear this. I was driving down the Danforth in Toronto with a cop car in front of me. Naturally you show caution.
The lights went green an the few cars in front of us rolled on, the light had turned to AMBER when I rode over the lights, however the copper pulled me over to tell me that I am not allowed to enter an AMBER light if I think the RED is going to come up before I reach the other side of the intersection. NEVER HEARD OF IT...He reckoned he could fine me $180 yes folks $180 for breaking the law.
I was gobsmacked and told him I have never heard of it. Told him in all the countries I have driven in, never heard of this ridiculous rule
Turned out he was a pretty decent guy and we had a 35 minute chat about his impending wedding and how he came about to meet his wife after 25years of them splitting the first time.
Has anybody heard this rule, if you havent beware!!
Old May 6th 2011, 8:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh thats weard ehh. I have never heard of the 25 year splitting up rule before you get married rule.

Learn sumat every day ehh
Old May 6th 2011, 11:41 pm

Yes I'd heard of that one. That's why I no longer jump the lights either
Old May 7th 2011, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

That rule is a bit vague is it not?

"But officer, I thought I would be through before the lights went red"

So in that case I didn't break any law, and off I go.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roots
Hi,

Cheers
Which province are you in? A single ticket doesn't usually have any impact on your insurance unless it's a really bad one.

In Alberta the whole thing is a farce, you have to get 15 points to get banned and the crown generally will cut the number of points awarded in half if you tell them you want to go to court, to prevent having to go to court. Up to 15kph over is only 2 points and 15-30 I think is 3 points. If you're caught by a camera, you get no points. (Bear in mind we have a 110 kph limit unlike other provinces).

Essentially you have to be an incredibly bad driver to get banned.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GavinR
BTW if you didn't know (which I didn't) photo radar vehicles now have video capability. I have a video of me turning right on red without coming to a complete halt. $285 fine. The truck looks great in the video though! I'll remember to stop on red next time I see a photo radar van.
You should ask for a copy of the vid, in case you want to ever sell the truck. Would look really good and I'm sure the prospective purchaser will be grateful, and you can hike up the sell price accordingly.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by keznjj
I never heard of having to appear in court but wait to you hear this. I was driving down the Danforth in Toronto with a cop car in front of me. Naturally you show caution.
The lights went green an the few cars in front of us rolled on, the light had turned to AMBER when I rode over the lights, however the copper pulled me over to tell me that I am not allowed to enter an AMBER light if I think the RED is going to come up before I reach the other side of the intersection. NEVER HEARD OF IT...He reckoned he could fine me $180 yes folks $180 for breaking the law.
I was gobsmacked and told him I have never heard of it. Told him in all the countries I have driven in, never heard of this ridiculous rule
Turned out he was a pretty decent guy and we had a 35 minute chat about his impending wedding and how he came about to meet his wife after 25years of them splitting the first time.
Has anybody heard this rule, if you havent beware!!
Sounds a bit crazy to me. I didn't think it was illegal to go through on amber and you're allowed to complete the manouver if you're in the junction. So if you're waiting to turn left and you're stopped in the junction, then you're probably going to make the turn when the lights turn red, if you don't get a break earlier. The rule is to give way to any traffic already in the intersection (junction) before proceeding when the lights change green. So how can that copper be right? Also, as you don't know when the lights are going to change to red as they are on different timings, if that copper was right, he is effectively saying that amber means red. No law comes down to proving whether you thought something or not. You could be accused of misjudging it, but that's all it would be. I'm amazed that he made a point about that though. Sounds like a decent enough bloke, and it's nice that there are some decent coppers out there. But really it's the people blatantly running red lights that pisses me off and really should be the focus of the attention of coppers. I mean people who go through when the lights have been on red for a while. There are so many of them. Perhaps this copper thought you were not playing on the side of caution enough, and that was his issue with you.

Last edited by canadian_critic; May 8th 2011 at 5:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.