Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spanner in the works :( advice please

Wikiposts

Spanner in the works :( advice please

Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanner in the works :( advice please

Hi

Originally Posted by bex1
To my knowledge, if they're no longer in full time education and over a certain age (can't remember but 22 rings a bell - but I'm sure someone else here can clarify that) then they have to qualify in their own right. If they are still in full time education then you just have to provide proof of this.
They have to be under 22 at the time of application and if they are over 22 must have been in full time education since turning 22. Cannot be married or in a Common/law relationship.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

They have to be under 22 at the time of application and if they are over 22 must have been in full time education since turning 22. Cannot be married or in a Common/law relationship.
Thanks PMM I knew someone would know the age.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

We have an AEO, so a job offer, all our paperwork completed, waiting for our police records to come back and we are ready to submit... However...

Now my husbands daughter from a previous marriage, after agreeing to go through with the medical and provide copies of passports etc, has decided she's not comfortable with it anymore :curse: She wasn't coming with us as we don't see her and she'll stay with her mum, but it was agreed that the offer was there if she wanted to take advantage of it in the future (she's 13)

We now don't know what to do, because the forms state that even if dependants are not coming with you they still need to undergo a medical.

My question is... can we leave her off completely? I have been told that if we do this then we'll not be able to go back and sponsor her and she'll have to apply in her own right. We're not using an emigration lawyer so can't ask them.

Has anyone else been in this position, as it's got the hallmarks of ruining our dream.

Hi,

My OH has a daughter (from another relationship), shes now 21 we have
been advised that we will have to name her on the visa application, but we will have to enclose a letter stating that my OH has no intention of sponsoring her in the future........she`s already told us to f*** *** to Canada!!!!!......... so that just proves to us what kind of person she`s turning out to be!!!

Sue
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twink001
Hi,

My OH has a daughter (from another relationship), shes now 21 we have
been advised that we will have to name her on the visa application, but we will have to enclose a letter stating that my OH has no intention of sponsoring her in the future........she`s already told us to f*** *** to Canada!!!!!......... so that just proves to us what kind of person she`s turning out to be!!!

Sue
If she's the daughter of a previous relationship, is your OH named on the birth certificate?? If not then I dont think you have to even mention her as shes not officially his child. May not be the case at all but worth mentioning

BTW she may think you are the bad guys for f****** off to Canada, rather than her turning into any particular kind of person. I had some friends who thought they were being rejected when we moved away, so maybe....
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

That is how I read the information too... You have to include their details, but they then have to apply separately. I think it is easier because you are there, but that is all.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daft batty
If she's the daughter of a previous relationship, is your OH named on the birth certificate?? If not then I dont think you have to even mention her as shes not officially his child. May not be the case at all but worth mentioning

BTW she may think you are the bad guys for f****** off to Canada, rather than her turning into any particular kind of person. I had some friends who thought they were being rejected when we moved away, so maybe....
Hi Daft batty,

Nope my OH is not named on her birth cert, but on saying that he had a DNA test done many years ago, which proved that she was his........however we have been told that because the DNA test was done and there is paperwork somewhere to prove this, that we will have to name her on the application, even though my OH has no intention of sponsoring her in the future!

As for for her personality, well thats another storey......which I dont care to discuss. All I can say is that we have asked the question and we have to declare her so to speak!! She does not venture any further than our local town, so I could not see her wanting to emigrate to Canada with a father and step mother along with 2 half sisters that she has never been involved with in any shape or form over the last 21+ years!!!!

We just want to make sure that we have covered every angle in the progress of our move.........if it means she has to be mentioned then so be it, we would not like to move out to Canada without mentioning her only to find that we could possibly be refused PR further down the line because we failed to mention her at the beginning.....if you see what I mean?

Regards
Sue
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

midlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud ofmidlander08 has much to be proud of

We have an AEO, so a job offer, all our paperwork completed, waiting for our police records to come back and we are ready to submit... However...

Now my husbands daughter from a previous marriage, after agreeing to go through with the medical and provide copies of passports etc, has decided she's not comfortable with it anymore :curse: She wasn't coming with us as we don't see her and she'll stay with her mum, but it was agreed that the offer was there if she wanted to take advantage of it in the future (she's 13)

We now don't know what to do, because the forms state that even if dependants are not coming with you they still need to undergo a medical.

My question is... can we leave her off completely? I have been told that if we do this then we'll not be able to go back and sponsor her and she'll have to apply in her own right. We're not using an emigration lawyer so can't ask them.

Has anyone else been in this position, as it's got the hallmarks of ruining our dream.
Hello there,
I know exactly what you are going through except for us it was our son!! (he's 19) Long story but family said he could stay in UK. We decided to keep him on the application so he could come over should he change his mind, you have been told correctly, if you keep your step daughter on the application, she will have to have her medical. (my son had his May 2008) and yes if you leave her off the application she will have to apply in her own right should she change her mind in the future. We had to consider all the said options too.
We landed in Canada February 08 and our son then realized he had made the wrong decision and is awaiting his residency permit so he can come and join us! Kids eh?
Hope the decision you make is the right one for you and your family. Best wishes, Wendy

Last edited by midlander08; Jun 10th 2008 at 8:51 am. Reason: added more detail