Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spanner in the works :( advice please

Wikiposts

Spanner in the works :( advice please

Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice
Default Spanner in the works :( advice please

We have an AEO, so a job offer, all our paperwork completed, waiting for our police records to come back and we are ready to submit... However...

Now my husbands daughter from a previous marriage, after agreeing to go through with the medical and provide copies of passports etc, has decided she's not comfortable with it anymore :curse: She wasn't coming with us as we don't see her and she'll stay with her mum, but it was agreed that the offer was there if she wanted to take advantage of it in the future (she's 13)

We now don't know what to do, because the forms state that even if dependants are not coming with you they still need to undergo a medical.

My question is... can we leave her off completely? I have been told that if we do this then we'll not be able to go back and sponsor her and she'll have to apply in her own right. We're not using an emigration lawyer so can't ask them.

Has anyone else been in this position, as it's got the hallmarks of ruining our dream.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:59 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spanner in the works :( advice please

my husband has a daughter from a previous marriage. she's not coming with us.
we listed her where we had to (cant remember what form), but we advised CHC that she wasnt coming with us - so no medical required. think if you write a letter to them and tell them you no longer want her on the application it'll be fine - but remember if she changes her mind then she'll have to apply independently when she's older.
hope that helps.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Spanner in the works :( advice please

We are going to be in a similar position I think. My husband has two children from his first marriage, both of whom will stay in the UK with his ex (for some reason we did nto think to invite her to move with us!).

He still sees his son, but his daughter just never bothers, even though the breakup was not my husbands decision, she had simply met somebody else.

We do not have access to a photo from the last six months, and do not have a clue about her passport number, so how do we manage for the PNP form?

It is one of those many things that I keep thinking I will sort out if/when he gets through to the job offer stage with CPS!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:44 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bex1
Now my husbands daughter from a previous marriage, after agreeing to go through with the medical and provide copies of passports etc, has decided she's not comfortable with it anymore :curse: She wasn't coming with us as we don't see her and she'll stay with her mum, but it was agreed that the offer was there if she wanted to take advantage of it in the future (she's 13)

Is the relationship good with her dad to
1. bribe her to do the medical - Day out with Dad - new IPod - Easier skiing trips later.

2. Put it to her mum that if anything happened (god forbid) before she's 18 there could be unnecessary complications. she if mum can see it as a little bit of insurance.

3. There could always be winter holidays or summer holiday breaks.

If there is not a good relationship just get everyone to sign its off.

But I'd never leave the decision up to a teenager their brain stems aren't connected properly you know
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that... we did actually consider the bribe bit, but felt maybe that wasn't the kind of thing we should be doing. The biggest problem is that her mother has always felt that although Ian and I met long after they split up that my salary should contribute to her cost of living... not quite sure how that works!

This has rubbed off on the daughter, so every trip out has been about how much is it costing, otherwise it is not worth doing as it causes hassle for her when she gets home.

Having looked at what you have said though I think we may have to reconsider... she is just turned 16 now, so not that long to go before we don't have to play silly games any more!

I really do appreciate the feedback, it makes you realise that there is nothing we are going through that others have not already encountered, and survived!

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:46 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

As I mentioned before - If they're not coming with you and they won't be coming later on, there's no need for them to have medicals etc.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yay - thanks :
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

It's good to hear others are/have been in the same boat!

There is no relationship, we don't even know her, only spoke with her this week for the first time as the mother has never let her interact with our "new" family and they are not local. Anyway, she's remarried and they do their own thing. So there won't be any bribing going on as they are much wealthier than us.

So that's great if the medical doesn't have to be done. But does she still have to provide copy birth certificates and passport? Is there a legal letter involved though to cover off any maintenance payment to ensure she's provided for, as I mentioned it to an immigration lawyer at one of the Emigrate shows recently and he said I'd need a letter from a family lawyer stating the mother would release all financial responsibility from my husband? She wouldn't agree to that as she doesn't like dealing with lawyers, waste of money.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

I was just reading through the PNP form and it seemed to indicate we should be providing a photo (no more than six months old) and her passport number... thats a laugh, somebody showed me a photo taken about a year ago and I didn't even recognise her!! It even says that this should be provided even if the person is not coming with you! Mixed messages or what ??:curse:
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:45 am
mzp
Forum Regular

hello again!

no passport, no photo and no birth certificate required for your OH's daughter. my hubby's just informed me when we submitted our forms we included an affidavit saying that we didnt intend to take his daughter with us and would have no intention of doing so in the future.

it seems like years ago when we submitted the forms - oh wait, it was years ago!

hope this helps!

m
x
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Oh now I'm confused. People seem to be having difference experiences here, I wonder if it's different for different provinces?

Is there anywhere where it's actually listed out officially?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Completely off topic but ...

There is no point in saying "spanner" in Canada. No one will have a clue what you are talking about. It's a wrench.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Completely off topic but ...

There is no point in saying "spanner" in Canada. No one will have a clue what you are talking about. It's a wrench.
LOL
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

mmmmm my daughters will be 20 and 23 when I leave for canada. Can I include them in my application to come with me, or as adults do they need to apply seperately?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by skyturner
mmmmm my daughters will be 20 and 23 when I leave for canada. Can I include them in my application to come with me, or as adults do they need to apply seperately?
To my knowledge, if they're no longer in full time education and over a certain age (can't remember but 22 rings a bell - but I'm sure someone else here can clarify that) then they have to qualify in their own right. If they are still in full time education then you just have to provide proof of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.