Reload this Page >

South Africans Living in Newfoundland

South Africans Living in Newfoundland

Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

fornost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: South Africans Living in Newfoundland

Originally Posted by siouxie
My sister and her family emigrated to Canada from Vereeniging (Vanderbijlpark area) about 20 years ago, partly because the two eldest boys were about to be called up for national service - but mostly because things were going downhill fast. They live in Ontario now, the funniest thing is the "children" (now in their 30's) still have a S.A accent!

I visited S.A back in the 70's for 3 months (showing my age, lol) and again in the early 80's for a month and loved it. It's a beautiful country.
It is a beautiful country we lived on a 10 acre plot backing on to the Krugersdorp game reserve, I am not sure with the political situation if I would even visit now. The danger of a stray bullet is very real !!!!. My boys were 8 and 9 when we left and they were made to loose their accents because they were bullied in the UK and told to go back to their own country so they developed british accents to fit in!!. I love watching the old video's where they have such broad little SA accents!!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:27 am
Just Joined

fornost is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
Woo-Hoo!
Mr Fluff and I are also Saffers!! Heading for Alberta hopefully later this year.
We're in Germany at the mo but going back to UK at the end of March for a minimum of 6 months while we wait for our Canadian PR to come through. We've been away from SA for 9 years now...
I heard from an ex BE'er that there are many Saffers in Alberta. Sorry, no idea re Newfoundland. But hey, when we're there and start exploring canada we can come over for a visit

cheers vir eers!
You will always be welcome !! We can have a BRAAI and sit about talking about the smell of the land when the first rains hit. That is something I miss so much and you cannot find it anywhere else!!. I think we will have to do something about a decent ex Saffers web site as I agree there are none out there. What were you doing in Germany - at least you could get by with the language !!!.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

powderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fornost
You will always be welcome !! We can have a BRAAI and sit about talking about the smell of the land when the first rains hit. That is something I miss so much and you cannot find it anywhere else!!. I think we will have to do something about a decent ex Saffers web site as I agree there are none out there. What were you doing in Germany - at least you could get by with the language !!!.
indeed! germany has been fantastic. mr fluff came over from uk on a transfer for 3 years, and i got to play housewife
i'm looking forward to settling somewhere now and grow some roots. hopefully canada will be the perfect place for us, but i will always have a soft spot for SA.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

mick c is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello are there any of you out there????
I'm a vaalie and will be living about 5 mins from you in Sep 11! I will bring the boerwors if you got the braai.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a number of us in Calgary.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

julievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nicejulievonz is just really nice

Howzit! Howzit!
My husband and I are hoping to get to Canada in 2012, having been living in Uk for the last 8 years. Initially going to be living in Windsor, Ontario but ideally hoping to end up in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Hopefully meet up with some ex-saffers when we get there.

Originally from Pietermaritzburg and Mooi River.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:10 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
There's a number of us in Calgary.
do you ever have meet-ups? we're hopefully heading there in early 2010 , just waiting for our passport requests
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Lulu Du Toit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello are there any of you out there????
O my! mount Pearl that is close to me!!!!!!! Ek het gedink ek is aleen! Are you still out there????I am in Witless Bay - - -
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Lulu Du Toit is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a beautiful country we lived on a 10 acre plot backing on to the Krugersdorp game reserve, I am not sure with the political situation if I would even visit now. The danger of a stray bullet is very real !!!!. My boys were 8 and 9 when we left and they were made to loose their accents because they were bullied in the UK and told to go back to their own country so they developed british accents to fit in!!. I love watching the old video's where they have such broad little SA accents!!
O may word! I lived in the Krugersdorp game reserve the Manager there is my X father in law and my husband was a game ranger there ......and yes a stray bullet is real!!! Lots of poaching also the laste couple of months some rhinos were slaugterd right there in the grass.......