Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

soooo irritated by CRNBC

soooo irritated by CRNBC

Old May 7th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

sparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nice
Default soooo irritated by CRNBC

so i flew out did my SEC assessment. got results yesterday apparently they want me to do an on line course in med/surg at cost of $500. a three day workshop on professional communication again another $500 AND a bloody 200 clinical placement in an acute med/surg area at a cost of $1000 so i get to pay to be a student nurse again for three/four months! very irritating as im a senior sister in one of the busiest A&E dept in the country with 8 years experience and numerous extra courses i.e ALS, ATLS degree in emergency care nursing!!!

sorry rant over
has anyone else had to do clinical hours???

i am going to appeal the discission i think, has anyone appealed???

just really want to go and seems to be sooooooo many hurdles

thank you

jodie
Old May 7th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: soooo irritated by CRNBC

Hi Jodie,
I didn't have to do the assessment or clinical hours. But ask any nurses here in BC, even Canadians, and they are a nightmare to deal with. The fact that I have to pay so much to register each year frustrates me.
When I started an online course at UVIC 5 mins from where I live. The CRNBC 'lost' all my files, which meant I had to go back to the UK and pay another fee to get duplicate papers.
Try appealing, it must be worth a try. I wanted to say that you are not alone.
Hang in there.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

sparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nice

thanks matey haven't quite given up yet!!! am going to appeal. if that doesnt work and i have to do these bloody hours then think will have to go down the route of husband applying for visa as electrician and he can support me whilst i finish my bits and pieces. sooo determined to move as did recce trip in march/april and fell in love with the place!!! so one way or another it will happen might just take a little longer and a bit more jumping through hoops
Old May 7th 2011, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

About 8 weeks of your time and about $2,000 doesn't sound so bad to get registered and offered equivalencies.

I know experienced GP's, teachers, lawyers, police officers who brought decades of experience with them - they have all had to jump through many hurdles, courses and payments to finally get decent work.

I understand your frustration, and the cynic in me believes much of this is a money making exercise - but it's not that much of a hardship, surely, to achieve what you want out of this move?

Emigrating is expensive.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

yes expensive, frustrating but im sure will all be worth it
Old May 8th 2011, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada. If you want to be a member of an organization that grades people and pays them in accordance with protectionist/seniority, as opposed to competency, policies, you have to play by their rules. However, once in you will receive all of the benefits of membership. The choice is yours.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Welcome to Canada. If you want to be a member of an organization that grades people and pays them in accordance with protectionist/seniority, as opposed to competency, policies, you have to play by their rules. However, once in you will receive all of the benefits of membership. The choice is yours.
Amazing that Canada treats other civilized countries like our qualifications are suspect. In contrast, my pilot licence conversion was really simple, yet could be equally devastating if they got this wrong. I only had to do a quiz regarding Canadian Air Law, which to be honest would have been the only way of getting me to bother learning it. Regulations are generally the main differences in the professions, so it's a bit surprising that they put people through this kind of pissing about, when I'm sure they're desperate for qualified medical professionals. Did you have paperwork proving your experience in UK? If so they clearly don't give much credibility to it, which is a bit offensive really. Canada's standards don't seem any better than any other civilized country's, so why offend people who they desperately need by putting them through such a treadmill and expecting them to fork out of their own pockets?
Old May 8th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the real world of Canada!!!
Old May 8th 2011, 6:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparksman
so i flew out did my SEC assessment. got results yesterday apparently they want me to do an on line course in med/surg at cost of $500. a three day workshop on professional communication again another $500 AND a bloody 200 clinical placement in an acute med/surg area at a cost of $1000 so i get to pay to be a student nurse again for three/four months! very irritating as im a senior sister in one of the busiest A&E dept in the country with 8 years experience and numerous extra courses i.e ALS, ATLS degree in emergency care nursing!!!

sorry rant over
has anyone else had to do clinical hours???

i am going to appeal the discission i think, has anyone appealed???

just really want to go and seems to be sooooooo many hurdles

thank you

jodie
Wouldn't a job in the UK be more suited for your experience and qualifications?
Old May 8th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

I applied through CARNA - I'm a Dip HE Adult Nurse and a BSc (Hons) Childrens Nurse - was Band 5 when I applied in 2008 - didn't need to do a thing - no SEC or clinical hours.

I would most definately appeal!!

Good luck.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:46 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
{snip} .. when I'm sure they're desperate for qualified medical professionals. Did you have paperwork proving your experience in UK? If so they clearly don't give much credibility to it, which is a bit offensive really. Canada's standards don't seem any better than any other civilized country's, so why offend people who they desperately need by putting them through such a treadmill and expecting them to fork out of their own pockets?
You're confusing the people that want more nurses (the patients) with the people who are short of money (the employers) and the people that are paid to restrict the supply of qualified labour (the professional bodies).

My wife is an RN, and I reckon if I asked her colleagues whether they wanted to (a) stop offending foreigners and work less overtime at $80/hr, or (b) keep things just the way they are and have the union win them a nice pay rise for the understaffed working conditions, the answer would be pretty clear.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

qverq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default psychiatric nurse in bc Vancouver

hi,

any tips somebody who sit the exam for psychiatric nurse license in BC Vancouver .what kind of courses or material on line can use

kind regards

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Old May 16th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

qverq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any psychiatric nurse who sits the license exam in BC

any tips for psychiatric nurse license exam in BC Vancouver

did anybody sit the exam what kind of material should use for the exam

pls replay
Old May 17th 2011, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sparksman
yes expensive, frustrating but im sure will all be worth it
They seem to have changed the requirements in the last year or so. Myself and a colleague from the UK got in no trouble in 2009 and 2010, but hen another nurse came and they want her to do all sorts of further courses, at considerable expense. She is already here as her husband is a doctor working here. I think I got in just in time. You either have to conform, pay up or stay in the UK. You can try appealing but I don't kone if it will do you any good. This is a great country, To me, it is worht the fight. Just bite the bullet and do it!!
Old May 17th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Yeah it's not just nursing. Almost every profession that can possibly be called a profession is restricted somehow. They seem to have apprenticeships for *everything*.

That said, once you're in, you're in.

You just need to suck it up and follow the plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.