Reload this Page >

Sooke to Victoria commute

Sooke to Victoria commute

Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:40 pm
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough
Default Sooke to Victoria commute

My hubby and I would like to escape the craziness that is rush hour in Calgary (think 2 hour roundtrip commute for both of us - if there's no snow or accidents on Deerfoot...) My worry is that the commute from Sooke into Victoria might be just as bad. Can anyone shed some light? How long does it take you door to door and is the trip pretty easy or an exercise in frustration? Thanks!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sooke to Victoria commute

Why not simply move closer to where you'll be working, rather than replace one commuting lifestyle with another commuting lifestyle? Downsize the house if necessary.

I have driven from Victoria to Sooke during a rush hour morning about one year ago as I was having a meeting with their tourism board. The drive is pleasant and not terribly stressful, but I was driving against the rush hour traffic. It is still a 45 minute drive in one direction, so you're losing two hours each day. Victoria is so tiny and walkable at the best of times, surely you can find somewhere closer to live?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:30 pm
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough

Thanks - there are lots of reason why a move to the Island appeals but it's a case of assessing if we would be exchanging one commuting lifestyle for another (which appears to be the case) and if the benefits outweigh the negatives. Calgary is a little too expensive for us to relocate closer to work - hence the home in the deep SE!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkc
Thanks - there are lots of reason why a move to the Island appeals but it's a case of assessing if we would be exchanging one commuting lifestyle for another (which appears to be the case) and if the benefits outweigh the negatives. Calgary is a little too expensive for us to relocate closer to work - hence the home in the deep SE!
We lived in Sooke for a few months and travelled into Victoria frequently. Although there are long and wiggly ways to do the same journey, there is essentially one road in and out of Sooke. You can avoid the "Colwood crawl", but it usually takes just as long. I personally think the road between the two is windy, slow and rather dark (in the trees). Sooke itself is nice, but if you have kids, the schools don't have a very good reputation. I personally wouldn't fancy a daily commute into Victoria from there - especially if you're trying to improve on your current situation in Calgary. Maybe look at East Sooke or Metchosin; they're a bit closer to Victoria.