Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sooke - good or bad??

Sooke - good or bad??

Old Feb 16th 2014, 3:47 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sooke - good or bad??

I feel i have to reply here, I only have experience with one reserve - that being Maskwacis (formerly Hobbema). I know that is a brutal (though very rich) reserve. There are 4 bands live on this one and there is constant murder / violence etc etc between the gangs there - in fact it's the majority of the murders that happen in this area span from this place.

I don't think the op was being racist I really don't - I wouldn't want to live close to a reserve with this amount of trouble that fans out from it - so I don't think it was an unreasonable question. No more so than wanting to avoid areas of high drug use / crime etc.

My husband grew up in Ponoka - right next to the reserve they played hockey with the natives - and even he said you wouldn't go to the reserve after dark.

I will add though there is rarely any trouble between natives and locals, quite the opposite in fact - so unless you are planning on living in the middle of a reserve I think you'll be safe I'll wager most of the natives on the reserve are wonderful people - it's only the bad apples you ever get to hear about / bump into - same as anywhere really.

Last edited by mandymoochops; Feb 16th 2014 at 3:50 am.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:08 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it wasn't blatantly racist ... Maybe it was the wording ?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Maybe it was the wording ?

More likely it was the reading skills of some people.

IB, the Sooke Nation controls 2 parts of the town.

One is close to the bridge to enter Sooke, the other is off Grant Road,
towards the other side of town.
Grant is the residential side, the other is more industrial.

I concur with rivingtonpike, it's no worse than anywhere else.
The locals will know where's good. 2K for rent is fine.

Sooke to Victoria for work is a bit of a drive, with lots of traffic.
I would look closer to Victoria if you can.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:10 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
More likely it was the reading skills of some people.

IB, the Sooke Nation controls 2 parts of the town.

One is close to the bridge to enter Sooke, the other is off Grant Road,
towards the other side of town.
Grant is the residential side, the other is more industrial.

I concur with rivingtonpike, it's no worse than anywhere else.
The locals will know where's good. 2K for rent is fine.

Sooke to Victoria for work is a bit of a drive, with lots of traffic.
I would look closer to Victoria if you can.
Yeah probably .. Not .
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with MagnumPI on this one. My initial reading of the OP wasn't that it was specifically racist. It is, unfortunately, blunt but true that house prices tend to be compromised relative to a property's proximity to a reserve. What could and should be done to address this and other first nation issues is an entirely different matter. It is unfair to accuse the OP of racism when a contentious fact is stated; especially when they are enquiring about an area they perhaps have little knowledge of. I don't mind admitting that, level playing field - I wouldn't "chose" to live right at the edge of a reservation's entrance/exit. By the same token, I wouldn't "choose" to live in a high crime area of Glasgow, Lagos or New York.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:59 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm with MagnumPI on this one. My initial reading of the OP wasn't that it was specifically racist. It is, unfortunately, blunt but true that house prices tend to be compromised relative to a property's proximity to a reserve. What could and should be done to address this and other first nation issues is an entirely different matter. It is unfair to accuse the OP of racism when a contentious fact is stated; especially when they are enquiring about an area they perhaps have little knowledge of. I don't mind admitting that, level playing field - I wouldn't "chose" to live right at the edge of a reservation's entrance/exit. By the same token, I wouldn't "choose" to live in a high crime area of Glasgow, Lagos or New York.
But you haven't blamed a particular group for the high crime rate in your example areas... I wouldn't want to live in a high crime area but I wouldn't come on and say .., there are a lot of xxxx in the area what's it like ?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Not sure why you would say Langford is not great and you keep on saying schools are poor. I don't particularly like Oak Bay other than the coastal road which is very nice. Not much there in terms of shops, its expensive, old and looks rather run down, other than being next to Uplands which is very high end. Langford has had a good deal of money spent on the area over the past few years and has some of the best new real estate the Victoria area. Access to shops and facilities is probably the best in the Victoria area and the schools are not bad. I have 2 children who both go to local schools and are doing very well. Belmont is old and being replaced with a new school in West Hills in 2015. Access is good although the traffic can be heavy if you have to travel into town during rush hour but you can work around this by changing your travel times. My wife travels from Bear Mountain to the Royal Jubilee every day and the traffic is nothing like Vancouver by comparison. There is something for everyone in the area from affordable housing to million $$$ mansions (and there are lots of them in the area). I travel through Sooke every week as I manage the Jordan River Hydro station and its one of the best parts of my job traveling along the coastal road. Stunning beaches and scenery are in abundance. Sooke is approx. 20 minutes from Colwood and there is a new technology park being built off the Leigh Road interchange which I am sure will create many high quality jobs. 2 of my crew live in Sooke and they love the area. If you have to work in Victoria then traveling from Sooke is a bit of a drive. I had a mechanic working for me who recently retired who travelled all the way from Victoria to Jordan River every day! My admin travels from Duncan to our offices on the West Sannich road. People do travel because they don't wont to live in a city. The are many fabulous places to live in the Victoria area and as always its what works best for you. Don't be put off by other negative comments and check it out for your self. You will be surprised what you can find.
Did you ever replace that mechanic?????
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did thanks. I got a really good guy from Kelowna. He is a very keen rugby player and was attracted by the Canadian HQ being located in Langford.
One thing I would say have lived in Langford for a year or so is I would avoid it like the plague. Not a very nice place at all in particular the people who run it for the benefit of themselves and their friends. The make up rules and ignore them as they chose. We liked the area when we first moved here but having seen the blatant destruction of the Bear Mountain area by developers who have no interest in anything but themselves. Ironically we return to Surrey to see our friends more often than not as they were much more welcoming and friendlier than we have found on the Island, but then maybe that's the area we live in. I still like the Island but would probably move closer to town next time we move.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:58 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did thanks. I got a really good guy from Kelowna. He is a very keen rugby player and was attracted by the Canadian HQ being located in Langford.
One thing I would say have lived in Langford for a year or so is I would avoid it like the plague. Not a very nice place at all in particular the people who run it for the benefit of themselves and their friends. The make up rules and ignore them as they chose. We liked the area when we first moved here but having seen the blatant destruction of the Bear Mountain area by developers who have no interest in anything but themselves. Ironically we return to Surrey to see our friends more often than not as they were much more welcoming and friendlier than we have found on the Island, but then maybe that's the area we live in. I still like the Island but would probably move closer to town next time we move.
I was listening to a piece on the radio this morning about the first sexually transmitted disease and family planning clinic attached to a High School on a permanent basis. It was Belmont High School in Langford.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

The school will go soon as it looks like being replaced by a Thrifties! There are 2 new schools being added to the school district. Schooling has not been a problem so far and the kids grades have actually gone up since we moved from the LM. We did debate putting my 2 children into private school but they don't want to move. Bear Mountain is an outstanding place but they are destroying so many areas with the new developments. They dug up the 10th fairway which was the most beautiful part of the village just to build extra properties. What is it with developers in BC. They start a fantastic subdivision but never finish it or destroy it with some totally out of character development which doesn't fit in with the rest of properties. We have seen this before in BC. We originally wanted to move to Kettle Valley in Kelowna. The subdivision won many development awards until they swamped it with high density (expensive) single family homes and ruined it.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Lol that was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment as my a husband is a Heavy Duty Mechanic. Getting him a job of course would be the major concern. Do you know if there is much work in his field on the Island?
Old Feb 4th 2015, 1:25 am
"In cruce vincam"

The school will go soon as it looks like being replaced by a Thrifties! There are 2 new schools being added to the school district. Schooling has not been a problem so far and the kids grades have actually gone up since we moved from the LM. We did debate putting my 2 children into private school but they don't want to move. Bear Mountain is an outstanding place but they are destroying so many areas with the new developments. They dug up the 10th fairway which was the most beautiful part of the village just to build extra properties. What is it with developers in BC. They start a fantastic subdivision but never finish it or destroy it with some totally out of character development which doesn't fit in with the rest of properties. We have seen this before in BC. We originally wanted to move to Kettle Valley in Kelowna. The subdivision won many development awards until they swamped it with high density (expensive) single family homes and ruined it.
My wife thinks it's going to be a Save On. Time will tell. The school is indeed going to be replaced by two new ones. I'm not sure that will negate the apparent need for the first STD clinic in a High School though.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:51 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve lived in the Sooke area for a couple of years now (moved here from the Algarve, Portugal) and I wouldn’t turn the clock back a bit, other than to have moved here 10 years sooner!

Interesting perspective some people have about Sooke and the commute from Victoria! Commute to work.. return to and live in paradise (sort of )

There is a solid reason why many people from Victoria head out this way to the beaches, parks and Sooke Potholes in the summer months. They want to get out of the city! We’re lucky as we are here all year around

I wouldn't live in Victoria if you paid me! I’d not live in Langford either, because I see it as not more than an overspill for Victoria. Sooke on the other hand is most definitely separated from both the above by a buffer zone of Metchosen land in-between.

Soon, a new connector road is to be constructed around Langford that cuts out Langford as part of the Victoria-Sooke Commute.
Sooke Lost around 100 residents in 2013 (out of around 12,400) but predictions are that the Sooke will double in size over the next 10-15 years. It has trebled in size since 1967. Unlike Victoria and Langford (both boxed in geographically or by legal boundaries) Sooke has plenty of land to be able to expand onto.

Plans are afoot to open up the Sooke harbour area to businesses/shops/cafes so that Sooke harbour becomes more of a year round focal point. Some re-zoning has already been put in place to that effect.
You can get all of your weekly grocery shopping needs from Sooke. Big ticket items would likely need to go to Langford Big box stores.
We have a few banks here. We use TD which is open 7 days a week. Has a drive through ATM machine also.
Three gas (petrol) stations which seem to be priced around the same as other islands stations.
There is a Costco and many other bog box stores in Langford for those that might be interested.
Langford is about 20 minutes drive from Sooke.
Victoria is about 30-40 minutes in light traffic.

Yes, there is a First Nation community in the area however, as posted earlier, no more of less of a presence than anywhere else that I am aware of. The T’Sou-ke First nation community are leading the way in the region by way of producing energy from solar sources.

Island First Nation grasps potential of alternative power - Local - Times Colonist

My father lives in Victoria. I remember him saying to me two years ago, when we were looking at buying our home (in East Sooke), that we are so far from everything! Clearly because he could not see much by way of buildings he felt that was the case. He just didn’t know that looking at raw nature every day might be somewhat more in the centre of things that living in a city might appear to be!

Here in East Sooke we are 5 minutes walk from East Sooke Park. 15 minutes drive from Sooke Potholes. French Beach, China Beach, Botanical Beach ( Juan de Fuca Provinical Park ) are all readily accessible from Sooke. Sooke is on the The Pacific Marine Circle Route and the last place for 80 odd km to fill up before you step out/drive into the wilderness

Live in Victoria by choice? - no chance!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:56 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Island Bound
Been looking at moving to sooke on Vancouver island and have heard that sooke has a lot of native Indians living there.
Now from living in Alberta and seeing some reserves here they put the value of property down around the area and there has been some trouble.
How true is this in sooke?
Anyone's experience or knowledge of area much appreciated?
Not true in the slightest! You'd only need to look at the area once to realise that is simply not the case!