Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something you should check as part of your decision to move

Something you should check as part of your decision to move

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something you should check as part of your decision to move

Before everyone piles on, lets just take it as read that there are people here with alternate experiences and viewpoints to the original poster.

So please, save your electrons and count your blessings
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

some would say that you have to be good to be lucky

Arnold Palmer (spelling?) said:

"The more I practice the luckier I get"
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Before everyone piles on, lets just take it as read that there are people here with alternate experiences and viewpoints to the original poster.

So please, save your electrons and count your blessings
Ah yes, the retorts of the smug.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This was in 1999 and since then I have had three days when I didn't have paid work when I wanted it.
I think you and others are too quick to judge. Maybe he's negative because he can't find work, not the other way around. Many on this thread are guilty of this.

A couple of things I do agree with cc about:

Not posting salaries is stupid. It may be the way it is, but it's still stupid - I wouldn't want to even spend 30 minutes of my time finding out that the job I thought was going might pay $200k is really paying $20k - it's a waste of my time and theirs.

Not replying to applications is rude. Again, it may be the way it is, but it's still rude - especially, as cc says, a quick email bcc'd to all applications takes no time at all. Companies should employ some corporate courtesy. Saying that you're too busy to spend five minutes being polite to those that have been unsuccessful is simply a lie.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
some would say that you have to be good to be lucky

Arnold Palmer (spelling?) said:

"The more I practice the luckier I get"
I'm pretty sure that was Gary Player, but the sentiment is the same...

Samuel Goldwyn had a less golf related (and therefore more socially acceptable) version long before either.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2010 at 7:40 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zRichi
I know - from a million posts on here that finding a job in Vancouver is panning for gold....Is this the same case for Toronto?

If anyone could share there views it would be tres helpful
I'm afraid it is. Toronto, GTA and beyond all suffer from the same problem. More candidates than roles. It's a buyers market and if you don't have Canadian education/experience it's very hard to get your resume on the to-be-interviewed pile.

Like many I'm learning the hard way.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not posting salaries is stupid. It may be the way it is, but it's still stupid - I wouldn't want to even spend 30 minutes of my time finding out that the job I thought was going might pay $200k is really paying $20k - it's a waste of my time and theirs.
Part of that is one business does not want to publicly advertise what they are paying. In some, if not many industries, there is pretty much a standard wage. I know in my former career there was a range and we knew what it was and who paid at which end.

Quite often what is offered also depends on the candidate hired and their experience. We have ended up paying higher than we expected due to a well suited candidate, who likley would not have applied at the rate we were originally were going to offer.

If a range is advertised, everyone wants and feels they deserve the higher. Lower paying more menial jobs tend to have the wage advertised. I seriously doubt there would be a $180k discrepancy as your example. A $200k job would likley fall into the $180 to 200k range. Everyone applying for a job has some idea of the salary range.

Not replying to applications is rude. Again, it may be the way it is, but it's still rude - especially, as cc says, a quick email bcc'd to all applications takes no time at all. Companies should employ some corporate courtesy. Saying that you're too busy to spend five minutes being polite to those that have been unsuccessful is simply a lie.
This is accepted as the way it is, albeit sometimes frustrating for some applicants, especially those not used to it. When a job is advertised there are often far more unqualified applicants (who seem to be unable to read properly) applying for the job.

E-mail applications don't all come in at once and to send e-mail, bcc to everyone who applied would necessitate adding them all to ones e-mail address book and creating a group to do this, not a productive way to use time. Quite often applicants are applying for multiple jobs and take the first one that offered them, doubtful to be relying on one application.

There is some speculation that without 'Canadian' experience you won't succeed. This is something I have never experienced or hear mentioned in any industry I have been in. If licensing is required, a Canadian license is mandatory though.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 22nd 2010 at 7:44 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:45 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps anyone would need a bit of a rant if they had experienced the same as the OP. When things hit the fan, it is hard to see the other side and even harder when it seems other people rub your nose in the fact they are happy when you are not. The OP maybe just needs to get this off his chest and maybe that is why he has discouraged posts that disagree with him.
It seems to me that most people don't actually disagree with the factual content of his post, they just don't agree with his anger and resentment. As JonboyE points out, there are big differences, of course there are and you can either see these as barriers or find the ways of getting over them. If you are not prepared to meet challenges then you may as well not bother starting this in the first place. It's not going to be plain sailing - you don't have to read many threads on here to work that out.
(BTW, I don't know if we will succeed, being only on the lower slopes of this climb, so I am definitely in no position to be smug.)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:47 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
The OP maybe just needs to get this off his chest and maybe that is why he has discouraged posts that disagree with him.
Read some of the OP's pervious posts and the reactions he's had, then you'll understand why he's felt the need to be a little defensive about the responses that may get posted.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Read some of the OP's pervious posts and the reactions he's had, then you'll understand why he's felt the need to be a little defensive about the responses that may get posted.
Negativity invites negativity.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Negativity invites negativity.
I didnt find this post by C-C particularly negative, it was a fairly dispassionate warning about the reality that exists for many people coming over here.

But people sometimes just love to kill the messenger when its not an all together rosy view. Either that or they just ignore the message until they find themselves in that situation, when often they will say "Why did nobody warn me"

I will say that $50k for moving back seems on the high side. If I was that miserable here I would take any UK opportunity and eat the cost anyway if necessary.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 22nd 2010 at 8:01 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kynn
So I guess I'm just curious if you're commenting because it sucks (which God knows it does - for Canadians too!), or if it actually caught you by surprise that things are done this way?
I'm commenting because it surprised me. I'm sure the information is all there but despite many years of prior research I guess I didn't have anything like the full picture. I'm not saying that's anyone's fault but my own, but I didn't want to just pass it by without at least raising this as a major issue here.

I think there are many things that you do not need to fully understand or have an accurate picture of, to still survive in Canada. But for me this discovery, whether or not the information was there, was not only a biggie but it's devastated my experience here. It's been such an incredible downturn that I'm afraid my memories of being here if I left tomorrow would be dogged by these bad experiences which overshadow the good ones.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think you and others are too quick to judge. Maybe he's negative because he can't find work, not the other way around. Many on this thread are guilty of this.
Maybe so. However, even if the negativity is a normal and natural reaction to his less that perfect experiences, it's not going to help him get a job.

A couple of things I do agree with cc about:

Why is is stupid? When you go to buy a new car do you tell the salesmen you are prepared to pay up to $20,000 for the car, but only offer $18,000?

This was rather the point of my anecdote about the waitresses. Which one was polite and which one was rude? It might have seemed that the Japanese waitress was much politer but in fact neither was especially polite or rude. They both behaved in a way that was normal and acceptable within their culture.

I don't see how we, as immigrants to Canada, should expect to be treated in any way other than is normal and acceptable in Canadian society.

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 22nd 2010 at 8:10 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
bcc to everyone who applied would necessitate adding them all to ones e-mail address book and creating a group to do this, not a productive way to use time.
Yes, don't waste your your time replying to unsuccessful candidates. It is much productive to post on an internet forum about how replying to unsuccessful candidates is not a productive use of time.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
Suprisingly well balanced and relevant post from you for a change.

I do seem to recall, however, that you are not exaclty in a mainstream line of work. Work can be hard to come by here though, and the wages often fall short of the cost of living.
Yep I'm very much in a niche area, and I'm impressed you remembered from that post some time ago. However I'm pretty dynamic and my emphasis in the past 18 months has been on a much much broader range of my skills, and positioning my niche skills as a bonus. So I'm not flogging a dead horse so to speak, although I suppose I would consider doing that if it paid well enough, and provided a bit of variety on the job, you know like being able to switch to killing two birds with one stone, every once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.