British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Someone live in Calgary, please help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/someone-live-calgary-please-help-341159/)

Calgal Dec 9th 2005 10:16 am

Re: Someone live in Calgary, please help

Originally Posted by Hangman
I must have been editing my post as you were responding. I was unaware of your response until now. :)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - just this once, mind ;)

Steve_P Dec 9th 2005 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Calgal
Pretty obvious I think - my own experience on the roads here. That and seeing my sons go through their drivers ed (here in Calgary), taking their tests, and talking to their instructor (one of the better ones from a school that teaches defensive skills, not just how to get through the test).

I presume you are going to include your unfortunate son in the list of not so good drivers in light of his little off road excursion.:D

and my poor son just had an accident in the snow on Sunday and it looks likely a write-off.

By the way did the insurance company write off the vehicle or did they decide it was repairable?:)

Calgal Dec 9th 2005 10:28 am

I presume you are going to include your unfortunate son in the list of not so good drivers in light of his little off road excursion.:D

No - because he is so much better at driving than most of his peers. He's young, and will hopefully learn from his experiences. As we all do (or should). He's certainly gained a lot more respect for winter conditions since, though. :)

By the way did the insurance company write off the vehicle or did they decide it was repairable?:)

We will hopefully find out tomorrow morning when the adjuster pays us a visit. He did have a body shop look at it, and they estimated $8000 just for the cosmetics. Looking at it closely, I think the chassis is twisted, and there is damage to the cooling system, suspension components, and (I think) engine mountings, too :( . So it will be close I reckon.

Steve_P Dec 9th 2005 10:34 am

He's certainly gained a lot more respect for winter conditions since, though. :)

I am sure he has, it can be a hard lesson to learn but sometimes its the best way. As long as he is alright that is.

We will hopefully find out tomorrow morning when the adjuster pays us a visit. He did have a body shop look at it, and they estimated $8000 just for the cosmetics. Looking at it closely, I think the chassis is twisted, and there is damage to the cooling system, suspension components, and (I think) engine mountings, too :( . So it will be close I reckon.
It does sound close. I hope it is not as bad as it sounds and that it is repairable. :)

Cheers
Steve

Cowtown Dec 9th 2005 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Wayner
A vast majority of Brits end up in the deep south, why I'm not to sure, it's like little bloody Britain down there :rolleyes: . I lived in Somerset for 2 years and now live in Sunnyside just north of downtown. I find the deepsouth has a lack of character, cookie cutter houses, no mature trees etc. The traffic is terrible due to the awful infrastructure, I generally stay away from the whole area now.

I agree with your sentiments about Somerset BUT its not the only community in the deep south. Somerset seriously lacks character - it all looks the same!

We live in the deep south. Our house was built in 1981 - we have mature trees in the park and gardens and a nicely (mature) tree lined main road. Everyones garden is landscaped so no eye-sores to suffer. We even have a couple of schools. The lots are larger than in the newer communities and so the houses are not uncomfortably close together. We have no British neighbours - in fact I dont think I know any Brits. We have no ongoing building work in the area so none of those problems.

Dont compare the whole of the south to Somerset - its unjust.

Steve_P Dec 9th 2005 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I agree with your sentiments about Somerset BUT its not the only community in the deep south. Somerset seriously lacks character - it all looks the same!

We live in the deep south. Our house was built in 1981 - we have mature trees in the park and gardens and a nicely (mature) tree lined main road. Everyones garden is landscaped so no eye-sores to suffer. We even have a couple of schools. The lots are larger than in the newer communities and so the houses are not uncomfortably close together. We have no British neighbours - in fact I dont think I know any Brits. We have no ongoing building work in the area so none of those problems.

Dont compare the whole of the south to Somerset - its unjust.

I think there may be a difference in definition of "deep south" going on here.

I think the current definition would be anything south of Canyon Meadows Drive. I think that if your house was built in 1981 it would be north of there.

Now I could be totally wrong but I been known to be wrong before. :)

Cowtown Dec 9th 2005 11:04 am

I think there may be a difference in definition of "deep south" going on here.

I think the current definition would be anything south of Canyon Meadows Drive. I think that if your house was built in 1981 it would be north of there.

Now I could be totally wrong but I been known to be wrong before. :)

And you are wrong here too I'm afraid. :p

We are substantially south of Canyon Meadows Drive and our house was built in 1981.

Steve_P Dec 9th 2005 11:16 am

And you are wrong here too I'm afraid. :p

We are substantially south of Canyon Meadows Drive and our house was built in 1981.

Well there ya go. What can I say? :)

So where are you located?

Cowtown Dec 9th 2005 11:18 am

Well there ya go. What can I say? :)

So where are you located?

South of Canyon Meadows and north of Somerset.

Steve_P Dec 9th 2005 11:21 am

Aww come on don't be shy. Just an area don't need your address.

It's ok I won't come visit I promise.:D

CalgaryBlade Dec 9th 2005 1:20 pm

Shawnessy?

CalgaryBlade Dec 9th 2005 1:51 pm

I looked at the link. This looks like every other house in Calgary.

Not round here it doesn't. Or in Sunnyside, Crescent Heights, Rosedale, Elbow Park, Elboya, Rideau Park etc etc :)