Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Old May 9th 2013, 8:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Originally Posted by MillieF
I must say that on the whole, I find the people on here to be the most charming and funny bunch.
Tell the whole story Milly, we're incredibly good looking too!
Old May 10th 2013, 12:22 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Tell the whole story Milly, we're incredibly good looking too!
You know me far too well!! I couldn't possibly comment!!
Old May 10th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I think I can distinguish between stuff I don't agree with and meaningless, pointless drivel. I'm sure you can too.
Drivel if I may say so. This is a forum so if people want to "complain" (which in some cases is saying it as they have experienced it), they can, just like you are complaining about people who "complain".
Old May 10th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
Drivel if I may say so. This is a forum so if people want to "complain" (which in some cases is saying it as they have experienced it), they can, just like you are complaining about people who "complain".
I'm not complaining about people who complain. There's a difference between complaining about something and talking complete nonsense for the sake of it simply to make a point.

For example, if someone says it always rains in Vancouver and the sun never shines there, then that's obviously complete drivel because it's simply not true. However, if someone complains about the amount of rain (or number of rainy days) Vancouver gets (particularly between fall and spring), then it's harder to dispute that. You might be able to argue about the amount of rain or number of rainy days but you can't deny that it rains there. Similarly you can't deny that Vancouver gets a lot of sunshine hours annually.

See the difference?
Old May 10th 2013, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not complaining about people who complain. There's a difference between complaining about something and talking complete nonsense for the sake of it simply to make a point.
I'll rephrase. I don't like Vancouver because, when I'm there, it rains.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
When are you going again. Just want to note it in my diary.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessicanuck
Secondly, I'd like to ask why you chose Canada instead of choosing any of the many European countries considering that the EU guarantees the freedom of movement of people and the many shared cultural and political familiarities (soccer, euro currency, European politics, etc.)
The UK is very Euroskeptic, I think you have a misunderstanding of how British people view Europe. They view it the way Albertans view Quebec, by and large.

Freedom of movement means little if you don't speak the language. I guarantee you that no British person you will ever meet has the vaguest idea who their MEP is.

Thirdly, how would you compare the culture of Canada vs. the general cultures of Europe? I know that Canadian culture is very modern but does there seem to be a "dearth" of Canadian culture compared to the cultures of Europe?
Well Canadian culture is an immigrant culture by and large, a combination of the cultures of the immigrants, although Canada does have the First Nations culture.

I always think the people who are against seal hunting don't seem to understand that it is part of Canadian culture. They see white people clubbing seal cubs and think that is cruel, but if it was First Nations doing it, they'd say "okay I don't like that but it is part of their culture". However the reality is that the Newfies who do it are descendants of the very first Europeans to settle Canada back in the 1500s and okay yes they are white by and large but they are purely Canadian and they picked it up from the Inuit.

Any comparisons/differences of Canadian and European society and cultures are welcome.
There is no "European" society or culture per se. Canada has a population smaller than France, Italy, Germany, Poland or the UK.

The only consistency I can think of is that Canadians like to stand further apart to talk to each other than Europeans.
Old May 10th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The UK is very Euroskeptic, I think you have a misunderstanding of how British people view Europe. They view it the way Albertans view Quebec, by and large.
I'd say the better analogy is that the UK views Europe much as Quebec views the rest of Canada. An uneasy alliance that could one day be no more.

I don't think Brits consider themselves to be part of Europe at all. They see themselves as somewhere between the US and continental Europe.

The other day I was talking to my daughter about visiting Europe and then going to the UK. She said "Isn't the UK in Europe?"
Old May 10th 2013, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
How you think Albertans view Quebec? From my experience, they care little about what Quebec does until the politicians in Quebec state that they are going to petition the Federal Government for more funds. When that happens, Albertans comment upon equalization payments and the conversation then returns to something far more interesting; such as hockey
Old May 10th 2013, 7:21 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

....The other day I was talking to my daughter about visiting Europe and then going to the UK. She said "Isn't the UK in Europe?"....
Once I had a card rejected at a petrol station in the UK. The card was issued in Luxembourg. The girl at the till looked at the card and said.. "Oh! It's one of those foreign cards, the system doesn't like foreign cards!"

I pointed out that it works all over the EU, except this part of the EU! Funny that
Old May 10th 2013, 8:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Once I had a card rejected at a petrol station in the UK. The card was issued in Luxembourg. The girl at the till looked at the card and said.. "Oh! It's one of those foreign cards, the system doesn't like foreign cards!"

I pointed out that it works all over the EU, except this part of the EU! Funny that
A bit like trying to use Interac in Florida then.
Old May 10th 2013, 11:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And the sun came out the day after you left.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:28 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And the sun came out the day after you left.
Are you trying to say dbd brings the crap weather with him
Old May 11th 2013, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Are you trying to say dbd brings the crap weather with him
I saw it as being metaphorical sunshine though it was literally true of the last trip there.
Old May 11th 2013, 3:51 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A bit like trying to use Interac in Florida then.
I guess.... Not tried that one there..... yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.