Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Old May 8th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Questions for all the Brits Here

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good luck, you'll need it.
Novo,

Isn't that a bit harsh?

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 8th 2013 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Personal insult removed
Old May 8th 2013, 11:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessicanuck
it intrigued me when the mother would mention how much she adored Birmingham
Me too. She must be a singular individual. That is as if a Canadian from a small town in Northern Ontario or interior BC pined for the smelter and the oxycontin.
Old May 8th 2013, 1:21 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, actually.

A few days ago I became acquainted with a family from Birmingham, England who immigrated to Canada about two years ago.

The father seems comfortable here although he stated that it was because of a job. The mother and the two kids, aged 14 and 16, seem to be quite unhappy whenever I've been invited to visit them at their home. Well, actually, the mother seems to be more reserved about it than the two kids.

Both of the kids seem to be fans of soccer and the mother doesn't seem to leave the house much besides to check and water her plants outside.

I'm assuming that the mother and kids were much happier back in England than here and it intrigued me when the mother would mention how much she adored Birmingham, missed the BBC, her friends, travelling to London, France, etc.

Based on their perceived unhappiness, I became intrigued with how comfortable they were in England and if this sentiment is shared by other British immigrants/expats.
No
Old May 8th 2013, 1:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, actually.

A few days ago I became acquainted with a family from Birmingham, England who immigrated to Canada about two years ago.

The father seems comfortable here although he stated that it was because of a job. The mother and the two kids, aged 14 and 16, seem to be quite unhappy whenever I've been invited to visit them at their home. Well, actually, the mother seems to be more reserved about it than the two kids.

Both of the kids seem to be fans of soccer and the mother doesn't seem to leave the house much besides to check and water her plants outside.

I'm assuming that the mother and kids were much happier back in England than here and it intrigued me when the mother would mention how much she adored Birmingham, missed the BBC, her friends, travelling to London, France, etc.

Based on their perceived unhappiness, I became intrigued with how comfortable they were in England and if this sentiment is shared by other British immigrants/expats.
Poor woman she needs some friends here.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
No
Dont speak for all...for some it is undoubtedly true
Old May 8th 2013, 2:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
The bigger the denial, the more true it is I reckon.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sweeping generalisation much?! A lot of the UK is far from 'going down the pan'.
It's interesting how you jump on generalizations about the UK yet let those on Canada go by without any comment at all.

In addition, you make no comment on this personal insult:

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<Insult removed by moderator>Good luck, you'll need it.
It appears that the only personal insults you are concerned about are against those people whose views you agree with.

If you're really a moderator, then moderate. That means trying to set aside your anti-Canada and pro-UK bias.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 8th 2013 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Personal insult removed.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's interesting how you jump on generalizations about the UK yet let those on Canada go by without any comment at all.
But the UK differs greatly by region, Canada doesn't very much, thus one is unreasonable while the other fair comment.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If I see them, I'll also comment on them, and have done many times in the past.

In addition, you make no comment on this personal insult:
That's because I hadn't seen it, I've only just got in after being at work and picking my children up from school so this is the first time I've looked at this thread since last night - perhaps my psychic powers are having a day off? I must also have missed your email reporting it for being a personal insult I assume?

If you're really a moderator, then moderate. That means trying to set aside your anti-Canada and pro-UK bias.
You have an issue with my moderation, then take it up via PM or with Sue, as per site rules. Although I'd not done any moderating on this thread, so quite why you've decided to have a go at me for it is beyond me. If you see a post that you think breaks site rules, then report it! Contrary to popular belief, us mods do have a life and don't read all threads/posts.

And for the record, I think Canada is just as fab as the UK, and have loved my life in both countries. I don't have an 'anti-Canada bias' and have never been derogatory about it.

Any other comments in the same vein, please use the PM facility, thx.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 8th 2013 at 2:55 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:56 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
No not all.

Ok
Old May 8th 2013, 3:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But the UK differs greatly by region, Canada doesn't very much
And there was me thinking that Vancouver and Toronto (along with one or two other places) were so superior and more cultured than everywhere else in Canada.
Old May 8th 2013, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And there was me thinking that Vancouver and Toronto (along with one or two other places) were so superior and more cultured than everywhere else in Canada.
Montreal maybe. The rest is just malls and fields.
Old May 8th 2013, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well seeing that the vast majority of cities and towns are less than a hundred and fifty years old it really is impossible to compare say York Minster to a similar establishment in Canada.
Im sure the new Bow Building in Calgary will eventually become the York Minster of Canada in another 450 years plus.
Old May 8th 2013, 4:35 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, actually.

It's hard to tell what's going on with this family with so little information. If the mother is not happy, some of that will bleed over to the kids who will sense and react to what the parents feel rather than sit back and analyse if their own life is good or is heading in the right direction. Teenagers are the hardest to settle, but they'll get used to it and move on with life. Often, when someone has lived overseas for more than a year, they recall that life is better in the country they came from however when they return things will have changed. It won't be the bed of roses that their brain chose to think it was and, before you know it, they want to go back to Canada!

Maybe you should suggest they go to the UK for a holiday. That might help them all make a decision for the better of the family unit.... or not!

In my experience (lived all over the word with my family) kids will eventually settle down and get on with life pretty much anywhere. Being young(er) their previous life (in the UK) will gradually fade into a kind of dream like experience and the new life will become real life as they know it.

The father seems settled. The mum probably needs to see the bigger family picture and pick herself up a bit IMHO.
There is far more to Canadian cable TV than just missing the BBC! That can be gotten around anyway. Maybe HUbby needs to set her up with BBC TV streamed through the web and help break down some of the issues.

Harsh and maybe a bit simplistic but ..... back on thread!

Last edited by james.mc; May 8th 2013 at 4:38 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well seeing that the vast majority of cities and towns are less than a hundred and fifty years old it really is impossible to compare say York Minster to a similar establishment in Canada.
Im sure the new Bow Building in Calgary will eventually become the York Minster of Canada in another 450 years plus.
1794 old enough

http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/browseolde...h_fd10=%3C1851

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.