British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Some Observations on Renting in Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/some-observations-renting-vancouver-870124/)

Engineer_abroad Jan 5th 2016 10:50 pm

Some Observations on Finding a Rental in Vancouver

Hi all, Following our arrival on Dec 31st my wife and I have been busy looking for a rental property and I wanted to pass on some observations/tips for anyone who is/will be in the same boat. These comments are based purely on our experiences and so I am sure there are many exceptions.

Observations

1) Forget Estate Agents - Unlike in the UK you do not walk into your local rental agent/estate agents offices, sign-up and then view rental properties. Instead the process will generally involve trawling Craigslist and Kijiji on a daily bases and making individual contact to view a property.

2) Rental properties seem to be rented by three main groups of people:
a) letting Agents (acting on behalf of landlord); b) landlord; and c) building managers (especially with newer builds or condos).

3) It is a competitive process. We were shocked just how competitive the rental process is. You will likely view the place with multiple other applicants, many of whom may make an application. Your application will then be assessed against others and the 'best' tenants chosen. This is a huge difference to the typical first-come first served UK system where a potential tenant pays a deposit to take a property off the market and then checks are done.

4) Good quality property is difficult to find and competition far more intense, especially if you are looking in the popular areas.

5) In many cases you will be expected to make an application there and then, i.e. at the same time as the viewing.

6) Expect to pre-screened. Many landlords/agents may call/email and pre-screen you prior to agreeing to show you a property.

Tips

1) If you like it and want it jump on it quickly, if you don't someone else will.

2) Go prepared. take copies of absolutely everything you may need to make an application (letters of employer reference, previous tenancy references (ideally in writing), personnel and professional references,passport/driving license, proof of income. If you have the time prepare an application pack containing all the typical information requested with copies of your documents to hand over.

3) Treat the viewing as an interview. The landlord wants to know you are trustful and will pay the rent without causing them issues. Try and build a rapport with them. Be honest about your situation (if like us you are newly arrived without Canadian references/credit history tell them this), they will find out anyway and could see you as distrustful. Do not say things like 'do wehave to be quiet', 'can we have friends round. I heard examples like this from others on viewings and seeing the instant change of expression from the landlord/agent.

4) If like us you don't have Canadian credit history take a copy of your UK equifax credit report showing your score. Equifax also operate as one of the three agencies in Canada so the name is recognized. Give a copy of this to the landlord so they can see you have good UK credit.

5) Concentrate more on private landlords. They tend to have a little more flexibility that agents who have set procedures and systems. Not passing a credit check with an Agent may mean an automatic no,despite you having good credit history in UK. We also found private landlords more sympathetic to our situation, as long as we were honest from the start.

6) Get a cheque book and bank account sorted before the viewings. Many private landlords will expect rent to be paid as12 post-dated cheques. Your bank may charge you for cheques so be aware of this.

7) Do not be afraid of making multiple applications and turning some down, but be aware that once they say yes you will likely have less that 24 hrs to give them a decision. After all if they want multiple applications so they can pick the best why shouldn't you play the same game.

8) Forget haggling. Vancouver has such a low vacancy rate you just don't have a chance. In fact, if you want somewhere really bad consider offering more than the stated rent price.

In the end we were lucky that we have found a lovely landlady who's son works in the same line of business as my wife and has made a number of foreign moves in his life so she felt some sympathy for us. Whilst talking to her we also found out she was a wine dealer and we got talking about our experiences in South America. She even rejected another couple who offered more money purely because we were prepared with all our paperwork during the viewing, explained our situation and built up a rapport.

As I said just our observations and tips but may be useful to someone.
PS: Can someone please teach me how I add line spaces between paragraphs?

BristolUK Jan 6th 2016 1:10 am

Re: Some Observations on Finding a Rental in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 11829102)
PS: Can someone please teach me how I add line spaces between paragraphs?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/site-...ng-fix-867428/

1 - Click on My Profile to open your account options. It should be to the top left .
2 - Look down the left hand side until you come to 'SETTINGS AND OPTIONS'.
3 - Click on 'EDIT OPTIONS'
4 - Scroll right down this very long page to almost to the end until you come to 'MISC OPTIONS'
5 - Look at MESSAGE EDITOR INTERFACE
6 - If it is set to "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG" then
7 - alter this back to Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls.
Save and return to the main BE screen.

Conmar Jan 6th 2016 1:30 am

Re: Some Observations on Renting in Vancouver

Welcome to Vancouver, Engineer, and congrats to you for securing a nice rental so fast:thumbup:. A very good summary indeed, I would say point 3 is the most important one or at least one which should not be underestimated.

We came back on December 11th and found a very nice and spacious place to rent (nice coincidence, btw., our landlord is also a lovely landlady) soon after, however, we do spend more than we intended (however still a little less than she asked for initially), but saved that on the car we bought.

Our landlady chose us because she felt most comfortable with us, we had also a second "interview" with her brother-in-law, presenting all our documents again, and where then introduced to the rest of the family. In fact it was a kind of mutual sympathy from the very beginning, hopefully this will not change.

We were quite familiar with competition on the rental market, you find it very often in continental Europe, e.g. in Switzerland (Berne, Geneve, Zurich) or Germany (nearly all major cities), to mention but a few. :(

With our previous house hunting experience in Canada in mind, we skipped estate agents right from the beginning, we used craigslist, padmapper and kijiji instead.
Now we are waiting for our container to arrive - and see if our furniture fits into our basement suite :eek:, fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed:

JonboyE Jan 6th 2016 1:34 am

Formatting aside, the opening post is excellent and realistic advice.

Siouxie Jan 6th 2016 1:40 am

Hi Engineer - I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to make it into paragraphs as I saw you had difficulty with the formatting.

Bristol has explained how to get to 'normal' formatting.

I agree with Jonboy - and excellent post - you might want to add it to the wiki!

:)

Engineer_abroad Jan 6th 2016 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11829220)
Hi Engineer - I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to make it into paragraphs as I saw you had difficulty with the formatting.

Bristol has explained how to get to 'normal' formatting.

I agree with Jonboy - and excellent post - you might want to add it to the wiki!

No worries, thank you for doing it. It looks 1000 times better now. Thanks also to Bristol I have made the changes now.

bc2015 Jan 6th 2016 2:44 am

The cheques thing was a revelation for us - thought they were mostly consigned to history but not for renting in Canada it seems.

Our experience was a bit different looking in North Van. We viewed 5 or 6 places, mostly on our own with no other people around. Ended up being offered the first place we looked at, which has suited us well. It probably helped that we were willing to pay above the average and probably weren't looking in popular areas. We viewed a couple of places that were managed by agencies and got some push back off them (including being asked to pay an extra months rent on top of the deposit/first months rent, which is illegal) but our landlord is also an expat who faced similar problems so he understands :)

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 6th 2016 2:58 am

Sounds about right for Vancouver, it's even more difficult if your limited to under 1,000 a month for rent. One place we looked at last year had over 30 people looking at the place when we were there for an open house, the rest were total dumps I wouldn't pay $1 for let alone 800+.

We gave up after a week and just stayed in Squamish, now moving to Chilliwack, one of the last remaining places with decent places under 900 a month.

TheAwesomeMatt Jan 6th 2016 5:29 am

Good luck with Chilliwack. Having lived in metro Vancouver and the island, I think moving eastwards to the Fraser Valley might have to be my next move too.

moosemeadows Jan 6th 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for posting this- very useful. We are moving to BC hopefully the first half of this year and so I've been looking online for rentals and had been wondering whether Craigslist etc was really the best way....now I know it is.

I was wondering- we don't want to rent for long as we intend to set up our business from home and it will require some electrical and plumbing work first...so that won't be possible in a rental. What I would really like is a 3 or 6 month furnished rental...does anyone have any thoughts on whether we might find something like this? It'll be the Chilliwack area.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 7th 2016 12:51 am

Originally Posted by moosemeadows (Post 11830002)
Thanks for posting this- very useful. We are moving to BC hopefully the first half of this year and so I've been looking online for rentals and had been wondering whether Craigslist etc was really the best way....now I know it is.

I was wondering- we don't want to rent for long as we intend to set up our business from home and it will require some electrical and plumbing work first...so that won't be possible in a rental. What I would really like is a 3 or 6 month furnished rental...does anyone have any thoughts on whether we might find something like this? It'll be the Chilliwack area.

Might be hard to find a furnished short term rental in that area other then a hotel which would be costly. Not really the norm to rent anything furnished, and while Vancouver has corporate rental places like that, the further from downtown you get the more difficult it will be.

Not saying you can't find one, just may not want to plan around finding one.

Depending on landlord, you may be able to find a month to month rental, not all landlords require a lease, in the 10 years here, I have only had 2 leases, everything else was month to month rental.

Siouxie Jan 7th 2016 2:19 am

Originally Posted by moosemeadows (Post 11830002)

Lovely & Comfortable – 2 Bed, 2 Bath. Fully Furnished & Serviced | short term rentals | Chilliwack | Kijiji

$125 / 4br -1600ft2 - Furnished and Equipped SUPER SUITES (EMA) | short term rentals | Chilliwack | Kijiji

Better than a Chilliwack Hotel - Chilliwack Accommodations from Owner Direct Vacation Rentals

moosemeadows Jan 8th 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you, that's great. Kijiji seems to be the place to look then!

Siouxie Jan 8th 2016 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by moosemeadows (Post 11831887)

You are very welcome! There seems to be a few short term rental places on kijiji Find a Short Term Rental in Chilliwack | Real Estate | Kijiji Classifieds in the surrounding areas too.

Fingers crossed you will find something suitable!

JonboyE Jan 8th 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by moosemeadows (Post 11831887)

It is one good source but don't ignore Craig's List. This has been the most popular classifieds site on the West Coast for many years.

With both sites keep your wits about you.