Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Software Engineers - where to work?

Software Engineers - where to work?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Software Engineers - where to work?

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

Sweatshop in New Brunswick, methinks you are smoking something....

I remember long hours, long commutes and macho work environments in UK, not so here in NB.
So, do you think CGI's employment practises vary significantly by location or is it that what I consider to be a sweatshop you think is a relaxed place of employment?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:37 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buddy
Hi Skibunny

Thank you very much for that fantastic post!

Of course, its me, that is probably worrying too much over my husband getting work. His specality is software development (telecoms) and has worked for international companies. So, here's hoping, once the PR arrives, that getting a job will not be too difficult.

I will certainly make a note of your recommendations - thanks!

Kelly
Telus usually have quite a few IT jobs going in Vancouver if he wants to stay in telecoms. I was offered a decent contract with them last year but wanted to stay in Victoria. Also keep an eye on RIM (blackberry guys) careers board - they have positions in Vancouver, Calgary, Waterloo, Halifax etc, so could fit in around where you prefer to live.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
If you are interested in Western Canada, surprisingly one of the biggest employment sectors here on Vancouver Island is tech. There are not heaps and heaps of jobs like you'd get in Waterloo, but there is very little competition for the jobs if you are reasonably qualified and experienced. It is also a nice 'tech community' to be part of, and the benefits (I easily negotiated 4 weeks hols) and working environment (no sweatshops lol) are pretty decent as they have to be competitive with the other employers here.

The lifestyle on the island is great if you like sports, the outdoors or have kids. I have never worked with such a fit, healthy bunch of geeks as this when I was in the UK You could earn more in Vancouver or Toronto, but the standard of daily life is just so nice here. I traded my 1.5-2 hr drive each way UK commute for a 40 minute walk/10 minute bio-diesel bus ride!

Look here for VI specific job postings and company listings (some companies just post the opportunities on their own sites not on the main job board so don't stop there if you're interested.
http://www.viatec.ca/Jobs.aspx
what are the house prices like in Vancouver Island/Victoria?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:01 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

In Victoria inner/outer suburbs, they are pretty expensive on a par with "nice" areas of UK $400-600k ish for a detached family home (although often they have a basement suite that people rent out to pay off the mortgage) with generally a bigger garden (and more bathrooms, lol) than an average UK house.

However we have noticed prices are starting to drop now. If you are willing to live further from the city (Sooke, Cowichan, Sidney etc) you can pay quite a bit less and get a lot more for your money.

If you google there are lots of local realtor sites with properties and prices.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:27 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
So, do you think CGI's employment practises vary significantly by location or is it that what I consider to be a sweatshop you think is a relaxed place of employment?
Perhaps I doubt that there would be a sweatshop environment in New Brunswick.

If I leave the office at 6pm, I will probably be the last one driving out of the car park.

Right now I am sitting here at 5:25 (starting to pack up) and I think there are two or three others working out of 60 seats on this floor. I can only see 2cars in the carpark on my side of the building....

NB'ers are known for their work life balance. I am not saying that eager beavers will not work long hours to get ahead, because that is patently not true, but the culture here in NB has a way of limiting that behaviour.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point

The IT market in Vancouver is pretty quiet and I hear the recruitment agencies are swamped with applicants but fewer jobs (if any).

Craigslist is usually a good place to look besides the big firms sites etc.

I would suggest contacting all the companies you might want to work for to see if they are interested and let them know you are visiting real soon so could come in for an interview - this worked for a friend of mine.

To be honest in these troubled times I'd be wary of leaving a safe job for no job AND moving to a foreign country.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:57 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenstriper
To be honest in these troubled times I'd be wary of leaving a safe job for no job AND moving to a foreign country.
I agree with this statement.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenstriper
Who has a safe job these days? Bailiffs? Bankruptcy lawyers?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:00 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by MarkG
Who has a safe job these days? Bailiffs? Bankruptcy lawyers?
I also Agree with this statement

The question turns into how do you feel you chances are of finding suitable employment in Canada and what are your strategies for being unemployed in Canada compared to being employed and preparing to be unemployed in the UK?

Precarious decision where ever you are. I was lucky to get here, find a job quickly and just survived the first round of lay offs at work (I think). But I am not worried about being laid off because I have a definite value proposition for employers in my field of work.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But I am not worried about being laid off because I have a definite value proposition for employers in my field of work.
I don't doubt it but would think the risk for you would be that if you were laid off you might have to move. Life in NB is a very different proposition from life in the GTA.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:37 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't doubt it but would think the risk for you would be that if you were laid off you might have to move. Life in NB is a very different proposition from life in the GTA.
I might have to consider contracting outside of my immediate city of that I am in no doubt.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I might have to consider contracting outside of my immediate city of that I am in no doubt.
Something people should consider when emigrating, there are a lot more employers in the GTA and in Ottawa than in other Canadian locations. Many would say, of course, that there's no point in emigrating if you're going to end up in the GTA.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Why is this? I want to emmigrate because I want to live in Toronto.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoresis
perhaps because Toronto doesn't have a lot to offer beyond other comparable cities, and arguably a lot less in some respects than comparable cities in Europe. I moved to suburban GTA because that's where my job took me in Canada, not particularly that Toronto was the perfect answer. There are pluses and minuses.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Phoresis
Each to their own, I suppose. Generally people choosing Canada want a place from the past and they don't find Toronto to be backward enough; it has traffic and crime and overcrowding and all those things they wanted to leave at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.