Reload this Page >

Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

brutusblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Hello all,

I have lived and worked in London, UK as a software engineer for 8 years. My work experience and studies are summarized below:

- 8 years experience working as software engineer in London, UK
- Masters degree from Univ of Oxford in software engineering
- 3 Sun/java certifications and 2 other certifications
- Published 3 technical articles on the web in popular websites
- Authored 2 chapters in a book
- worked in telecoms, health, insurance, software house domains
- Worked as Lead developer for 2 years
- Worked as a contractor for 2 years

I am immigrating to Canada soon and will look for IT/software related work.

In London, UK, I have always found work easily even when getting new contracts and even during recession (2008-2009).

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of how easy/hard is it to get work related to software engineering in Toronto with my experience and qualifications.

I have heard that employers in Canada look for 'Canadian references and experience' and wont consider any foreign experience.

Any useful suggestions/information would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

bb
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

I understand that getting good jobs is also down to the individuals capability.

I am just trying to do what i can to improve my chances of getting a good job. Of course, a good CV, knowledge and presentation is a first step. Any suggestions/comments on what I can do to improve my chances will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:56 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brutusblack
Hello all,

I have lived and worked in London, UK as a software engineer for 8 years. My work experience and studies are summarized below:

- 8 years experience working as software engineer in London, UK
- Masters degree from Univ of Oxford in software engineering
- 3 Sun/java certifications and 2 other certifications
- Published 3 technical articles on the web in popular websites
- Authored 2 chapters in a book
- worked in telecoms, health, insurance, software house domains
- Worked as Lead developer for 2 years
- Worked as a contractor for 2 years

I am immigrating to Canada soon and will look for IT/software related work.

In London, UK, I have always found work easily even when getting new contracts and even during recession (2008-2009).

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of how easy/hard is it to get work related to software engineering in Toronto with my experience and qualifications.

I have heard that employers in Canada look for 'Canadian references and experience' and wont consider any foreign experience.

Any useful suggestions/information would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

bb
You might have to get used to the idea of not calling yourself an engineer any more, if you want to avoid being prosecuted by the provincial engineering associations. Worth checking out their stance - in Alberta at least, APEGGA has pursued IT types through the courts (albeit unsuccessfully).
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:08 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Networking. Networking and Networking. Get a profile on LinkedIn and build a network. In Canada more jobs are about who you know rather than what you know, and many jobs are never mainstream advertised.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
You might have to get used to the idea of not calling yourself an engineer any more, if you want to avoid being prosecuted by the provincial engineering associations. Worth checking out their stance - in Alberta at least, APEGGA has pursued IT types through the courts (albeit unsuccessfully).
Only the biggest jobsworth twats in the world object to this software engineers being called that... hmm, now I remember where I live.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Only the biggest jobsworth twats in the world object to this software engineers being called that... hmm, now I remember where I live.
Not really. There is a wealth of difference between someone who knows how to use the latest wizard-driven IDE and someone who can respectfully call themselves an "engineer". Many people who design and develop software are worthy of the title. Most are not. They are, at best, programmers; which is a very different discipline.

If you believe you make the grade step forward and be assessed by one of the professional engineering bodies.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

In reply to zednought:

I already have 3 certifications from Sun/Oracle which I earned within last 2 years. I also have Prince2 project management certification and Redhat Linux certification. These are the most respected and internationally recognised certifications in the field where I work.

Do you know of any "professional engineering bodies" in Canada which certify/assess software engineers? I thought there were no such bodies anywhere in the world for software engineers and the current thinking is that for software engineers, it is not practical/desirable either.

Any suggestions/feedback is most appreciated.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:06 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

In reply to zednought:

I already have 3 certifications from Sun/Oracle which I earned within last 2 years. I also have Prince2 project management certification and Redhat Linux certification. These are the most respected and internationally recognised certifications in the field where I work.

Do you know of any "professional engineering bodies" in Canada which certify/assess software engineers? I thought there were no such bodies anywhere in the world for software engineers and the current thinking is that for software engineers, it is not practical/desirable either.

Any of the Canadian provincial engineering bodies would be happy to assess your engineering experience and engineering qualifications (for a fee of course). The practice of engineering is generally defined in provincial law, and qualifications are assessed according to a mix of internationally agreed engineering content and provincial associations' own requirements. The associations will either issue a licence to practice, or instruct you not to call yourself an engineer.

By the way, I'm not trying to be critical here. I'm just highlighting that in a country where the title engineer is protected by law, the first thing you would want to do with a CV is decide whether to call yourself an engineer or not.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's rather overblown, isn't it? Something like "sanitary engineer" for "janitor".

I think the OP is, what they call here, a "programmer".
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

In reply to zednought:

I'd agree with agr's response. Any one of the provincial engineering licensing bodies would assess your right to utilize the title of engineer.

Certifications from Sun/Oracle, Red Hat, et al. are technical qualifications. These will certainly help in your search for a job in Canada. PRINCE2 doesn't carry the same gravitas as PMP and I doubt many employers have even heard of it in Canada.

But we're getting off topic: in answer to your original question. My assessment is that whilst there are plenty of opportunities in software development and IT in Canada there is also a ready supply of candidates. You'll need to distinguish yourself from these somehow. Perseverance and a little bit of luck will be needed to get you on the ladder.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for your replies so far.

I will apply for 'P. Eng' certification from Professional engineers Ontario. I think it is the body that allows you to use the word 'Software engineer' and 'P. Eng'.

This process takes 2 months and there is some paperwork and some exams involved.

Just one more question. Can I apply for jobs as a 'programmer/developer'. I am looking at various job sites such as 'workopolis' and searching for 'programmer/developer' jobs.

I assume no certification would be required for these lower level jobs. I hope they will consider me.

Looking forward to any advice.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies so far.

I will apply for 'P. Eng' certification from Professional engineers Ontario. I think it is the body that allows you to use the word 'Software engineer' and 'P. Eng'.

This process takes 2 months and there is some paperwork and some exams involved.

Just one more question. Can I apply for jobs as a 'programmer/developer'. I am looking at various job sites such as 'workopolis' and searching for 'programmer/developer' jobs.

I assume no certification would be required for these lower level jobs. I hope they will consider me.

Looking forward to any advice.

Thanks
"Programmer/developer" is the job you're describing as "software engineer", it's not a case of lower level jobs but of inflated titles.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's rather overblown, isn't it? Something like "sanitary engineer" for "janitor".
I don't think so particularly. It's the standard term in use for developers where ever I've worked and has been for years. Maybe it's different in Canada where you need lots of bits of paper before you are allowed to say you are something.

Originally Posted by zednought
Not really. There is a wealth of difference between someone who knows how to use the latest wizard-driven IDE and someone who can respectfully call themselves an "engineer". Many people who design and develop software are worthy of the title. Most are not. They are, at best, programmers; which is a very different discipline.
The arrogance of software developers never ceases to amaze me.

Originally Posted by zednought
If you believe you make the grade step forward and be assessed by one of the professional engineering bodies.
Behold, the power of glorified certification.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I don't think so particularly. It's the standard term in use for developers where ever I've worked and has been for years.
I can't say I've ever heard the term but, I confess, I'm not terribly attentive to titles. I think using it in Canada on a resume or similar would make one look a bit silly and, more importantly, foreign.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so particularly. It's the standard term in use for developers where ever I've worked and has been for years. Maybe it's different in Canada where you need lots of bits of paper before you are allowed to say you are something.

The arrogance of software developers never ceases to amaze me.

Behold, the power of glorified certification.
mmm one of my exes did that, f**k he was boring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.