Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Software engineer - How easy/hard is it to get good job in Toronto

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't say I've ever heard the term but, I confess, I'm not terribly attentive to titles. I think using it in Canada on a resume or similar would make one look a bit silly and, more importantly, foreign.
Really? - the where ever I've worked includes the developers, programmers, software engineers (whatever you want to call them) sat a few cubicles down from me in the office.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Behold, the power of glorified certification.
Would I be right in assuming by this comment that you fell short of the standard?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
Yes. If it's an expression in common use that's passed me by. Still, I'm unexcited by what people call themselves, he can be a "Systems Architect" or "PC Doctor" without me thinking he's an actual architect or doctor anymore than I'd think he's an actual engineer.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. If it's an expression in common use that's passed me by. Still, I'm unexcited by what people call themselves, he can be a "Systems Architect" or "PC Doctor" without me thinking he's an actual architect or doctor anymore than I'd think he's an actual engineer.
Well quite.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by zednought
Would I be right in assuming by this comment that you fell short of the standard?
If I did programming I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial. Something that all the good developers I've known will openly admit.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 9th 2010 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

If I did programming I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial. Something that all the good developers I've known will openly admit.
If they are good developers they may find it easy.

DIY, driving a car, brain surgery etc. may be found easy to those with years of practice.

Today I was struggling with a .Net wcf web service that leverages reflection - why did I bother when I could ask you?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by bodgerx
If they are good developers they may find it easy.

DIY, driving a car, brain surgery etc. may be found easy to those with years of practice.

Today I was struggling with a .Net wcf web service that leverages reflection - why did I bother when I could ask you?
You see, you make it hard by using complicated jargon. You can wrap up 'sending a message over a network' in fancy language if you like, but that doesn't make it rocket science or brain surgery - things that take real skill. Unlike writing software which anyone can do at all with some basic instruction. actually your driving a car analogy is a good one - anyone can do that.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

You see, you make it hard by using complicated jargon. You can wrap up 'sending a message over a network' in fancy language if you like, but that doesn't make it rocket science or brain surgery - things that take real skill. Unlike writing software which anyone can do at all with some basic instruction. actually your driving a car analogy is a good one - anyone can do that.
Yes, the end result may well be sending a message.

But, I'm being asked to send this message with these given techologies - the language being a fancy one, as you put it, is not my issue - its my given toolset. With a bit 'basic instruction' and little or no experience I'd wager that you are unlikely to be able to do it within a reasonable time frame.

I'm not saying you'd never do it - I'm sure plenty of people with the right training and solid experience could do it.

Have you seen a tutorial on wcf or .net reflection?

Part of the job of the developer is to consistanly keep up with these 'fancy' languages. this has been the case throughout the last 10 years for me. Not a lot of choice really.

Its interesting rhat you should say this - when I was at uni 10 years ago doing a computing science degree many students dropped out based on the difficulty of the programming units. Others actively avoided choosing these units because of their difficulty.

If you think it is so easy you should do a spot of contracting on the side - maybe on your lunch breaks or something - you could make some decent cash.

Last edited by bodgerx; Jun 9th 2010 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Yes, the end result may well be sending a message.

But, I'm being asked to send this message with these given techologies - the language being a fancy one, as you put it, is not my issue - its my given toolset. With a bit 'basic instruction' and little or no experience I'd wager that you are unlikely to be able to do it within a reasonable time frame.

I'm not saying you'd never do it - I'm sure plenty of people with the right training and solid experience could do it.

Have you seen a tutorial on wcf or .net reflection?

Part of the job of the developer is to consistanly keep up with these 'fancy' languages. this has been the case throughout the last 10 years for me. Not a lot of choice really.

Its interesting rhat you should say this - when I was at uni 10 years ago doing a computing science degree many students dropped out based on the difficulty of the programming units. Others actively avoided choosing these units because of their difficulty.

If you think it is so easy you should do a spot of contracting on the side - maybe on your lunch breaks or something - you could make some decent cash.
I would, except I have an aversion to work however easy it may be. I doubt that software contracting pays that well in Vancouver anyways.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:15 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right too, if they happen to be mathematicians. Trivial = problem can be solved, i.e. the question of Fermat's Last Theorum was trivial.

To OP
I work in software. I have been programming for nearly 30 years, 20 years of that professionally. I can build a "computer" from scratch (including design and manufacture of simple circuit boards). I have designed and developed my own software for equipment from 4-bit microclusters to Crays. I have created GUIs for users to run unique electronic instruments. I have produced software to create multi-point 3-dimensional models on the fly in the field for commercial instruments. I am not an "engineer". My current job title is senior physicist. It took nearly three years in Vancouver to get a local job. During that time most of my work came from Europe and the US. I hear Toronto is better.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

And I suppose if you were a golfer, you'd be hitting holes in one, week in, week out? I mean, it's just a ball and a hole, right?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
And I suppose if you were a golfer, you'd be hitting holes in one, week in, week out? I mean, it's just a ball and a hole, right?
This morning I passed an optometrist's shop. "If I did optometry I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial" I thought to myself. I wondered why I'm not an optometrist and then I thought "but if I did move stardom I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial. And there's more money in it". I decided that the thing I could do and would if it wasn't so important to Canada that I carry on with the job I have now, is to be the new Judy Garland.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

This morning I passed an optometrist's shop. "If I did optometry I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial" I thought to myself. I wondered why I'm not an optometrist and then I thought "but if I did move stardom I would be shit hot at it; it looks easy to the point of trivial. And there's more money in it". I decided that the thing I could do and would if it wasn't so important to Canada that I carry on with the job I have now, is to be the new Judy Garland.
Sounds ... awesome
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Oh, I couldn't play golf well. That requires actual talent and skill - unlike software development which monkeys could do.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 10th 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, I couldn't play golf well. That requires actual talent and skill - unlike software development which monkeys could do.
Oh well, at least you're good at trolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.