Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Social life in Canada vs other countries

Social life in Canada vs other countries

Old Feb 4th 2020, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social life in Canada vs other countries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This is the least expensive house in Vancouver currently it appears. Bit of a fixer upper. 798,000
House is not livable. Only the framing exists

Old Feb 4th 2020, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think it depends a lot on where you are - Hamilton has a huge social scene...
Yep. All of that. Just to add there's also something of an after-hours scene. I'm pretty much well past all of that (except when I head back to UK/Europe, stay on "local time" and can enjoy a nocturnal lifestyle without it hurting) but still get invites to after-hours things that don't appear to start til about midnight-ish and go until 5am (on paper, suspect in reality it's whenever people head home). See also Toronto, even more options it seems, and could easily get an early GO back by then.

I say "pretty much" well past all of that sort of thing, but a few things have been appearing on my radar that could convince me otherwise. More practically, the Winking Judge on Augusta is most definitely in my top 3 all-time favourite locals anywhere in the world. Lost count of the number of UK pals I've taken there and they've left completely in agreement.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's actually an improvement too, 2 years ago it would have been closer to $1 million and possibly exceeding 1 million but the market has cooled a bit.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually an improvement too, 2 years ago it would have been closer to $1 million and possibly exceeding 1 million but the market has cooled a bit.
A couple of years ago there was a house here that was on the market for $1.
Yep, one dollar. It was one of those houses that can be moved - not a mobile, one that can be lifted on a ginormous truck and moved. Like this.

That was, of course, the catch. The buyer had to move it somewhere else.

There were no takers. For someone with spare land or looking to buy a plot, you'd think it might be a better deal than building anew.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, one dollar. It was one of those houses that can be moved - not a mobile, one that can be lifted on a ginormous truck and moved. Like this.

There were no takers. For someone with spare land or looking to buy a plot, you'd think it might be a better deal than building anew.
Those sort of things pop up in BC from time to time, but the catch is its expensive to move a house and you need land to put it on and the land is what is expensive.

Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The house we are in now was one that was moved from another location, plonked on new foundation (so the house assumes the age of the new foundation) and then it was extended and added onto, not a single wall or join is straight. The original builders of this house as it stand live two doors down, in another house that moved from a prvious location.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Tuition in England and Wales is 9,000 pounds a year. Which course costs that much at your university?
Fair, that is on par with a good chunk of Canadian universities, I think. I go to college and my tuition is $6,000 per year CAD.

I was comparing to people in Malta though, not UK.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Are you living in your own property? If so you could use some of that disposable income to pay more off your mortgage (if you have one). Or if you're renting, you could invest in an apartment or house and either live in it yourself or rent it out.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that your life can change in an instant, for any number of reasons. What we have today, good job, good health, can disappear in a blink. Having a tangible asset such as owning or having equity in a property is an invaluable hedge against that. I know it's old-fashioned old people advice but I thought I'd stick it in the mix
I live at home still, intend to for the next couple years I think unless I go abroad...no real reason to move out, unless I have a partner that wants to live together which isn't currently the case, so I may as well keep doing what i'm doing and saving.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Love your sense of humour It's increasingly difficult for young people to get on the 'housing ladder'. The State government here used to give first time home buyers a grant of $30,000, but they've dropped that now to $10,000. For a cheap $400,000 house most mortgage providers want you to have saved a minimum of $40,000 deposit, which isn't exactly a small amount of money. Doable if someone's still living at home, is working and saving (especially if there are two people doing it) but not everyone can do that.
I 100% agree with your advice! I need to figure out where I want to settle down first though...and you're right, the housing market is tough to get into, and personally while i'm still young i'd rather spend my disposable income on experiences, travel, etc. Might be unwise for the future but hopefully in a few years my career will be going well and I can do both. Renting is like Jsmth said throwing money into the abyss.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Fair, that is on par with a good chunk of Canadian universities, I think. I go to college and my tuition is $6,000 per year CAD.

I live at home still, intend to for the next couple years I think unless I go abroad...no real reason to move out, unless I have a partner that wants to live together which isn't currently the case, so I may as well keep doing what i'm doing and saving.

I 100% agree with your advice! I need to figure out where I want to settle down first though...and you're right, the housing market is tough to get into, and personally while i'm still young i'd rather spend my disposable income on experiences, travel, etc. Might be unwise for the future but hopefully in a few years my career will be going well and I can do both. Renting is like Jsmth said throwing money into the abyss.
I don't think money spent on travelling is ever money unwisely spent, and the best time to do it is when you're young and 'uncluttered'. When you're ready to look at home ownership you don't necessarily need to buy your 'forever home' though, it doesn't even have to be one you live in. As an investment strategy it's still one of the best, providing you choose your area and property well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and wherever that takes you, sounds like you have lots of adventures in store.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The part of your post that I quoted made reference to the "home fees in the UK"

I have a daughter in university and another that is going in September, so I am very familiar with fees all across Canada. The tuition costs in England and Wales represent approximately $15,000. I doubt that there are many courses at university in Canada that have such fees for home students and I have to admit that I was very surprised that my daughter's tuition fees for an engineering degree were around $8,000 a year.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Okay we're not Montreal or Toronto. Our downtown may not be St Denis (and others) of Montreal or many parts of Toronto (I have spent time in both of these cities) but I live in a city where public transport is good, walkability scores are high, and particularly for the 40,000 or so living within 20 minutes walk of our downtown. I would imagine anywhere with a population of a few thousand and a downtown or Main st would have it similar.

Obviously not of the size and number of the bar and restaurant filled streets bigger cities, but sky scrapers aside, walking along our Main St doesn't feel any different to similar length stretches of bar and restaurant filled streets in other cities. Except for the gaudiness of Niagara Falls of course.

I've walked around parts of Montreal where a bar crawl of four different places would require lots of walking and or bus/metro ride.

I have often joked about the downtown part of Moncton being like some High Streets of the UK but it's changed over the years and if I wanted to to take in a few bars, some live music and a restaurant on a night out it's really no different to a night in town in Bristol.
I would say much the same of Halifax and, increasingly Dartmouth. In fact, over the summer, we went over to Dartmouth for lunch and arrived home near midnight having sampled our way around the pubs, and taken in a nice bit of live music.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The part of your post that I quoted made reference to the "home fees in the UK"

I have a daughter in university and another that is going in September, so I am very familiar with fees all across Canada. The tuition costs in England and Wales represent approximately $15,000. I doubt that there are many courses at university in Canada that have such fees for home students and I have to admit that I was very surprised that my daughter's tuition fees for an engineering degree were around $8,000 a year.
Not university but short term vocational training at public colleges can get up there in price. Practical nursing is only a 16 months program and comes in at $15,000 for a 16 month program (assuming you don't need to take the pre-requisites if you do then the price increases of course)

Medical device reprocessing is cheaper but considering its a 4 month program the price is pretty incredible at around $10,500 breaks down to $2,625 for each month of training and its too short to qualify for financial aid.

University seems like a bargain compared to some vocational training programs.

Old Feb 6th 2020, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Not university but short term vocational training at public colleges can get up there in price. Practical nursing is only a 16 months program and comes in at $15,000 for a 16 month program (assuming you don't need to take the pre-requisites if you do then the price increases of course)

Medical device reprocessing is cheaper but considering its a 4 month program the price is pretty incredible at around $10,500 breaks down to $2,625 for each month of training and its too short to qualify for financial aid.

University seems like a bargain compared to some vocational training programs.
Wow. That is insane. Fees for programs like that are not near that in Ontario.

I go to college and my tuition is $2,300 per term. So less then $6k per year.

Total cost = $18,000 in tuition roughly for 3.5 years.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Wow. That is insane. Fees for programs like that are not near that in Ontario.

I go to college and my tuition is $2,300 per term. So less then $6k per year.

Total cost = $18,000 in tuition roughly for 3.5 years.
Some vocational training programs can be quite high tuition wise in BC considering how short they are.

Old Feb 6th 2020, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching a TV show where someone did this and moved a heritage house from Vancouver to Vancouver Island. It was actually a really nice house worth saving and restoring though. Most of the time the free houses are pretty crap.