Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

social insurance number-how long

social insurance number-how long

Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:24 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post social insurance number-how long

It says you cant get a job until you have your SIN number, how long does it take to get one?

Also, recap,which is the IMM 5292 form
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social insurance number-how long

i think i just turned up at service canada with my visa and they gave me one on the spot
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Yeah same here, you get it right away but getting the SIN card might take a couple weeks. But all you need to work is the number so it's no problem because you get it instantly.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Just wanted to agree with the other posters really. Mine took an hours wait in the queue but I got mine in January and the room was full of spotty faced youths signing up for Whistle as it was the start of the season.

I suspect its much quieter now :-)
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

We got ours on Friday - went to service Canada and they issued the number straight away - card will follow in the post.

Wait time was about 10 minutes - they close at 4pm on weekdays and we got there at 3.45pm!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The link let's you find the nearest Service Canada location.

Our local one always has very long line-ups, so we go to one a little further away which usually has hardly any wait time.

When i got my SIN number, I was there a total of 10 mins and only needed to produce my Work Permit.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:44 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
It says you cant get a job until you have your SIN number...
SIN number = social insurance number number
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
SIN number = social insurance number number
Lol.

An SI Number would be a completely different thing.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Nine digits arranged in three groups of three.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:37 am
Just Joined

juliecrab is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: social insurance number-how long

I have been in Canada since September 08 and have applied for a permanent resident card in February 09. I married a Canadian born citizen in December 08.
Can I apply for and obtain a SIN before I get my Permanent Resident Card. I need it to get on my Husbands British Columbia Medical. Not interested in working as we are both Seniors.

Thanks

Last edited by juliecrab; Jun 8th 2009 at 3:38 am. Reason: added a line
Old Jun 8th 2009, 6:55 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
It says you cant get a job until you have your SIN number, how long does it take to get one?
MOST people get their SIN number in 10 minutes - after filling out a simple form they walk away with the number.

However, don't bank on it. In my case, it took 4 weeks to get a SIN number, as the computer system somehow could not match up info with what was on the landing papers. So it had to be a manual process, which took much longer.

Whilst it is more than likely that you will get your number on the spot, it's better to be prepared that there is a small chance that things can go wrong - so that you are spared disappointment if the job hunting process is delayed.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough

What's the minimum age to apply for a SIN?

I notice on the form that for under 12s the form must be signed by a parent
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

redpen will become famous soon enough

I got my SIN number instantly, no wait, just fill in the form, show them the work permit and bob's your uncle.

The card came through about a week later.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by David P
What's the minimum age to apply for a SIN?

I notice on the form that for under 12s the form must be signed by a parent
I see no reason for a 12yr old to need a SIN. They should be enjoying life.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I see no reason for a 12yr old to need a SIN. They should be enjoying life.
Bank accounts ask for SIN #.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.