Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

social etiquette

social etiquette

Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social etiquette

See for me (100% my personal choice and against the wife's personal choice), it's kind of reverse social ettiquette, when we do BBQ's etc... I always buy so much, we are eating it for days after as well, I like to feel like I have thrown a great do (food AND drink), but on the other hand, I always feel awkward when there is so much left at the end, folks always bring stuff too, which is great.

Always over deliver and you'll never go short, that's my mindset.

PS. must have house warming party soon!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Aren't you just a barrel of laughs.......not.
I'm so sorry! Just trying to be a bit light-hearted, no need for nastiness.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
I'm so sorry! Just trying to be a bit light-hearted, no need for nastiness.
No need to apologise. Just ignore, there's one in every crowd.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
And guys... make sure your socks are WHITE with a big hole in the one of the heels. This will ensure you fit in perfectly with the male Canucks!
If my kids socks are anything to go by, white socks with holes and grubby grey soles would make you fit in with most of the kids.... But then I have grimy grubby little tykes!

I agree with those who say 'shoes off" is because of the weather/slush/snow/general grot that gets tracked into the house on shoes... heck even my kids school asks you to take off your shoes if they are dirty.

But please, make sure you are wearing socks - even white ones with holes and dirty soles are better than some of the bare feet I have seen! Besides the idea of someones verruca and athletes foot infested feet tracking over my floors makes me feel slightly ill!

Never had to take meat to a BBQ, and even if they are supplying the drinks, I always take a bottle of wine with me. I will usually offer to bring something to eat as well (a cake or some cookies if nothing else fails, but then most of my friends invite me because they like my baking!)
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:58 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
See for me (100% my personal choice and against the wife's personal choice), it's kind of reverse social ettiquette, when we do BBQ's etc... I always buy so much, we are eating it for days after as well, I like to feel like I have thrown a great do (food AND drink), but on the other hand, I always feel awkward when there is so much left at the end, folks always bring stuff too, which is great.

Hmmm, you do always go OTT at Costco.

But I would rather we supply to much food and be eating leftovers than people not having enough to eat.

Puddings/desserts are always welcome though.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:12 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

the shoes off thing is in Finland too...mght be a forest thing!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:47 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
mmmm my experience is based on my hubbys family, huge with a get together at least every two weeks and certainly dinner at someone or others house a couple of times a week.

For dinner (and its relaxed!) everyone just turns up and brings their own beer (the family are good at consuming alcohol so would be super expensive for the hosts to supply it!), for the get togethers its just a given that everyone will chip in and bring something - pot of chilli, pulled pork, cabbage rolls, steaks (normally whats been shot the hunting season before) and of course your own beer.

After the foods been eaten all the girls tidy / wash up then the drinking, card / dice playing happens until people disperse at their own pace!

I like it this way it just seems as though everyone chips in with everything.

Definately shoes off.
Nooooo!!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

Wake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really nice

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy

I also enjoy creating "All You Can Eat" buffets when entertaining. Usually the women will eat normally in that situation, but men have no problem with gorging on steaks and chops. I think thats because women don't normally have to pay for their family's food so they don't really appreciate it when getting it for free, because they always get it for free..
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wake N Bake
I also enjoy creating "All You Can Eat" buffets when entertaining. Usually the women will eat normally in that situation, but men have no problem with gorging on steaks and chops. I think thats because women don't normally have to pay for their family's food so they don't really appreciate it when getting it for free, because they always get it for free..
Oh boy, you must be a gutsy man. As well as having a weak mind I hope you have a strong back. I suspect you're about to be flagellated by every woman on this site.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:10 pm
Banned

Wake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Oh boy, you must be a gutsy man. As well as having a weak mind I hope you have a strong back. I suspect you're about to be flagellated by every woman on this site.
I was merely speculating on possible reasons why women don't ever take advantage of "all you can eat" situations. Another one is that they don't want their stomachs pooching out in public? What do you think?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was merely speculating on possible reasons why women don't ever take advantage of "all you can eat" situations. Another one is that they don't want their stomachs pooching out in public? What do you think?
I think the premise is unsound.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No need to apologise. Just ignore, there's one in every crowd.
How come it's always the same one ?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the premise is unsound.
I think it's the pooching stomach in public dilemma because we had two Thanksgiving's this year. One with a lot of family and friends, and another one on Saturday with just the immediate family. She said she barely ate at the first one, and I literally had to help her carry her plate to the table at the second one. One look at that plate and I knew I wasn't getting sex that night. She was virtually worthless after that gorgefest.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the pooching stomach in public dilemma because we had two Thanksgiving's this year. One with a lot of family and friends, and another one on Saturday with just the immediate family. She said she barely ate at the first one, and I literally had to help her carry her plate to the table at the second one. One look at that plate and I knew I wasn't getting sex that night. She was virtually worthless after that gorgefest.
So this is about a specific woman?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
So this is about a specific woman?
Women (all women) don't like to over eat if they think they'll get some later that night...

Thats as old as dirt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.