Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

social etiquette

social etiquette

Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social etiquette

Originally Posted by nldfc
The one I still find a bit strange is that when you get invited to a bbq you have to take your own meat with you

Tried changing it by inviting them here and supplying the food and the drink (tenderloin as well ) - Doesnt work , still expected to take my own the next time an invite was given

Not sure if thats a canada wide thing or more of a newfoundland thing
I have never had to supply my own meat in Calgary. As others have said, we usually ask if anything is required and, even if we are told "nothing" we usually take a dessert and the ubiquitous 24, leaving everthing we don't drink.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have never had to supply my own meat in Calgary. As others have said, we usually ask if anything is required and, even if we are told "nothing" we usually take a dessert and the ubiquitous 24, leaving everthing we don't drink.
same here.

Wow, supplying your own meat. That's different.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 5th 2010 at 4:47 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience (and I grew up here) its bring your own meat if you want more than hamburgers. Never had to bring my own booze either. Maybe just my circle of friends.

No booze at the kids parties. And kids open their presents in front of their friends.

Take your shoes off.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Same here - we take meat to BBQ and always take our own booze. Just what everyone does round here I guess

And always take your shoes off here too
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rwin
In my experience (and I grew up here) its bring your own meat if you want more than hamburgers. Never had to bring my own booze either. Maybe just my circle of friends.

No booze at the kids parties. And kids open their presents in front of their friends.

Take your shoes off.
If you ever get invited to our place for a BBQ you will only have to bring yourselves. We provide all meat and booze, wouldn't have it any other way. It's the only way I've ever heard of.

Makes no sense to me to invite someone for a meal and expect them to provide it or any part of it themselves.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Take your shoes off.
That will explain a few funny looks I got at my youngsters 2nd birthday party then
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
In my experience, an invitation offered to come for drinks means my wine rack gets empties, the beer fridge cleaned out, folk stagger home in the small hours, and I get to deal with the debris in the morning.

JonboyE's illustrated the general rule of thumb for meals, though on a Friday or at the weekend I'd suggest dinner invites are somewhat later, for us it's around 7pm.
Exactly what he said ^^^
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you ever get invited to our place for a BBQ you will only have to bring yourselves. We provide all meat and booze, wouldn't have it any other way. It's the only way I've ever heard of.

Makes no sense to me to invite someone for a meal and expect them to provide it or any part of it themselves.
Absolutely agree and it's the same round here. All meat/food is provided by whoever is hosting the BBQ and it's far from just burgers There's always steaks and ribs and often chicken and/or fish too. We'd always bring drinks to a BBQ or any party/meal, even if the hosts say we shouldn't bring anything... No way could I turn up empty handed!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:43 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Steve. I have never heard of bringing your own stuff. I'd consider it an insult if someone showed up with their own meat. I was beginning to wonder what kind of social circles some folks move in.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Just the riff raff circles for me
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I agree Steve. I have never heard of bringing your own stuff. I'd consider it an insult if someone showed up with their own meat. I was beginning to wonder what kind of social circles some folks move in.
We do sometimes have meals with friends that are more of a joint effort type thing...and in fact are having a big Christmas dinner with 4 families this year where one family is providing the huge turkey, another bringing the spuds/veg, another the Christmas cake and pudding and the last some other form of dessert or a starter, I think... Oh, and of course alcohol from all! I'd just never heard of bringing your own meat to a BBQ being the norm or expected...?

Probably around 75% of our good friends are European ex-pats, though, so maybe that's something to do with it?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think all this thread proves is that people do things completely differently all over the country

We've been invited to one "bring your own meat' BBQ but all the others have not necessarily required us to take anything - but we would always take some beer or wine, and usually a dessert. And like others, I would never take left-overs home again.

If I'm hosting and someone asks if they should bring anything, I'd only suggest they bring something if they want or only eat something very specific.

Otherwise I always love people to make and bring a dessert 'cos I'm crap at most home-made puddin's

I've never yet been invited (by a Canadian) to what I'd call a more formal dinner party here. Casual and BBQ's rule.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:18 am
Banned

bluguys is an unknown quantity at this point

it is interesting and practical to learn something about the country you would like to visit.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:58 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Take your shoes off.
That your rule or one you have come accross ?Most of our kids parties, of those held at home, have involved a bottle or two for the parents!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We have BYOM BBQ's, did so in the UK and do so here. We might modify things to be 'We'll provide bangers and burgers, but if you want fillet mignon then feel free to bring your own', but I've never felt socially awkward in any meat related way.

A common thing here is the 'Pot Luck' dinner/lunch. Everybody brings a dish. It can be really good, or it can be really crap like the time one of my wife's friends bought a pasta bake that consisted of pasta twists with cheese melted over them. Inedible didn't do it justice. We are part of a large extended family on the Mrs's side so Pot Luck suppers are pretty usual.

I always take wine or beer and never expect to take it home. I also don't neccessarily expect to drink it - I'll drink what's opened. Unless it's Blue Nun of Le Pait D'or in which case please open that bottle of Little Penguin I brought with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.