Reload this Page >

Social care jobs, Vancouver?

Wikiposts

Social care jobs, Vancouver?

Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:31 am
Just Joined

ids.84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social care jobs, Vancouver?

Hi! Sorry for hijacking previous thread. My bad!

So I'm turning 30 next year and all through my 20s I have planned to do a whv in Australia or IEC in Canada. Always said id do it one day and now I'm 28 and it's now or never.

I've decided on Canada, specifically Vancouver.

I have a lot of work experience in social care in the UK. I did a year of a nursing degree but didn't complete the degree, then worked 3 years as a care assistant for the elderly and the past 5 years as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities.

I'm hoping someone could give me a little info on the chances of finding a job in this field in Canada? Bunac told me they didn't think I could work in healthcare unless I have a skilled workers visa and they said my NVQ's in health and social care more or less aren't worth the paper they are written on in Canada.

Any advice would be great, I don't really have any other work experience other then retail work I did while still at school so I think I would struggle to find a job in any other field.

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social care jobs, Vancouver?

Originally Posted by ids.84
Hi! Sorry for hijacking previous thread. My bad!

So I'm turning 30 next year and all through my 20s I have planned to do a whv in Australia or IEC in Canada. Always said id do it one day and now I'm 28 and it's now or never.

I've decided on Canada, specifically Vancouver.

I have a lot of work experience in social care in the UK. I did a year of a nursing degree but didn't complete the degree, then worked 3 years as a care assistant for the elderly and the past 5 years as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities.

I'm hoping someone could give me a little info on the chances of finding a job in this field in Canada? Bunac told me they didn't think I could work in healthcare unless I have a skilled workers visa and they said my NVQ's in health and social care more or less aren't worth the paper they are written on in Canada.

Any advice would be great, I don't really have any other work experience other then retail work I did while still at school so I think I would struggle to find a job in any other field.

Thanks so much!
Hi and welcome to BE!

Unfortunately Bunac has given you reasonably accurate information - though they are incorrect on the requirement to have a skilled workers visa, you will have an open work permit and would be able to work in any field that you are qualified for.

It isn't impossible, but you may find it difficult.

If you are intending on working in healthcare/support care be aware that you will almost certainly need to have an 'up front' medical done prior to getting your IEC work permit (the work permit at the airport/border, not the letter of introduction) as otherwise you will be unable to work in that profession.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 19th 2014 at 9:39 am.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:41 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social care jobs, Vancouver?

Great to see you have asked this on a separate thread. Hopefully you will get a few responses

I am a youth support worker at a youth club ( nearly 3 years experience) I am alway a senior residential care worker at a children's home (just over 2 years experience). So I'm slightly different as I haven't had any experience in adult care.

Like you my experience in retail/bar work was over 8 years ago (previous to working with young people) I worked as an admin assistant and a graphic designer (yawn!) so I'm concerned that no part time bars/pubs/coffee shops will touch be with a barge pole.

What BUNAC have told you is not correct regarding needing a skilled visa, you can do care work on IEC but you need to have a medical done - when you do the second part of the application it will generate the option to get an 'upfront medical done'. They do an X-ray, blood tests, eye test, urine test and check your stomach and listen to your chest - that sort of thing. It's not cheap - mine was £400 but it means that when you get your work permit, the conditions will be taken off, unlike the people who haven't had a medical.

The NVQ thing is debatable. Generally on this forum people will tell you that Canada don't recognise NVQs. However I spoken to some expats on a Facebook group who have said although they have struggled in Alberta with NVQs, some people In BC have been taken on with level 3s (I believe this was the childcare qualification).

Judging by the job adverts I have been looking at so far. Many Canadian non profit organisations require a diploma in a certain field (There appear to be different kinds like human services, social work etc) These diplomas are 2 years in length and are completed at college. They are not the same as NVQs as it all seems to be classroom based ( I believe)

I have emailed one organisation in BC who were very helpful and said that they have taken on people with foreign qualifications, whether or not they were NVQs I don't know.